Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Any good deed would have to be performed flawlessly every single time. The media would be on their ass over even the slightest mistake. People question why the Superman isn’t doing MORE (because we are never satisfied with anything). Why didn’t they do more or prevent bad stuff from happening earlier? Why is Superman helping ABC but not XYZ? Why is Superman only helping XYZ but not ABC? What’s Superman’s connection to the government of the nation it resides in? What happens if that country goes to war? Will the supervening intervene? Your country of origin may tolerate it you but there’s no chance foreign nations would ever accept such a thing. What happens when you intervene in a country that doesn’t want you there? The mere existence of a Superman would cause a massive shift in the global power structure and force everybody to completely change how everything worked. At the very least it’ll kick start an industry that’s solely focused on how to shut you down as quickly as possible if and when they deem it necessary to do so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Okay, so the saying "no good deed goes unpunished" is all about the negative consequences of a good action.

So what's the unintended bad consequence when the good deed is on a Superman's level?
    Part of the bad consequence is the lack of equality of that good deed.

Assuming we aren't taking the Silver-Age highest power levels and applying them as a 24/7 thing. You know the "If Superman performed every feat at light speed so he is literally in every point on Earth simultaneously, calculating every possible outcome to his actions instantaneously and capable of kit-bashing any conceivable object from raw a material with that object outperforming all existing tech.... Then Superman has some limits even if they are still well outside anything we consider realistic. So even if over the course of time he could solve any global problem (illegal narcotics, hunger, pollution) he couldn't do it instantly in every corner of the globe.

So Superman goes to City X and tackles the problem there planning afterward to go do the same in City Y and City Z. What happens to these three cities when Superman moves on to other cities? Even assuming that once solved the problem doesn't come back naturally (no one brings in new drugs, food production remains stable, …) you have the cities/nations/regions further down the list who might not want to wait for their turn. Some people (either armies or just waves of gangs) will try to take what these cities have. Groups of people looking to live in the cities Superman improved that exceed what that area can support now or those looking to take resources from these cities back home. And that's not even counting those who just are happy to restore the old status quo (If my region doesn't have X today then neither can anywhere else).

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Okay, so the saying "no good deed goes unpunished" is all about the negative consequences of a good action.

So what's the unintended bad consequence when the good deed is on a Superman's level?
    I guess it comes down to how justified you feel. Did the needs of all those suffering people justify your action, do the ends justify the means?

It is not the role of the Superman to worry about the established opinion of him, it is his duty to help those in need of help. Bad consequences come, he faces them. I'm certain that a big ole group of billionaires would pool their resources and try and kill the Superman.

Like Jon Clark said, the equality of the good deed is vital. He can't go in and just destabilize entire regions of the world. Toppling corruption and tyranny is fine and dandy, but are you going to stick around and govern afterwards? He would need to be smart and decide where he is most needed and where he can exact the best outcome for the most people.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-03-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Its an interesting conundrum, right?

Some of us, myself included, have said we'd go to Syria and throw Asaad into the sun. And if half the reports are true the man deserves it. But then what? That country's civil war is a confusing, chaotic, multi-faceted hot mess. And as a foreigner I feel like no matter how much I read up on it and studied it I'm never going to really "get" that conflict, and my decision, whatever it is, will be flawed because of that. What happens if the person who replaces Asaad is just as bad? We gonna throw tyrants into space until they get smart enough to avoid our notice?

Some have said they'd throw trump into space. But if you do, then Pence becomes POTUS and in some ways he's even more offensive to the Democratic mindset, and as an established politician is probably going to be more successful in achieving his goals. Removing trump probably won't change the Republican party. So aside from murder, what has been accomplished?

If you create new farmland in Africa, who's going to stop the war lords from taking over once you leave? If you invent new green energy technology, how many businesses will be shut down because of that, how many jobs lost? Maybe you can retain some of those jobs by training people with the new tech, but what about the truck drivers who used to deliver oil? What're they gonna deliver now, when everyone has solar panels on their homes and no need for deliveries?
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-03-2019 at 07:39 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I would go full dictator and do my best to clean the world up. Not even gonna lie to everyone lmao

Its an interesting conundrum, right?

Some of us, myself included, have said we'd go to Syria and throw Asaad into the sun. And if half the reports are true the man deserves it. But then what? That country's civil war is a confusing, chaotic, multi-faceted hot mess. And as a foreigner I feel like no matter how much I read up on it and studied it I'm never going to really "get" that conflict, and my decision, whatever it is, will be flawed because of that. What happens if the person who replaces Asaad is just as bad? We gonna throw tyrants into space until they get smart enough to avoid our notice?
    Agreed. There's so much misinformation about that, it's hard to know where to begin.

Some have said they'd throw trump into space. But if you do, then Pence becomes POTUS and in some ways he's even more offensive to the Democratic mindset, and as an established politician is probably going to be more successful in achieving his goals. Removing trump probably won't change the Republican party. So aside from murder, what has been accomplished?
    You'd have to throw 2/3rds of the R party and half of the other one before you hit the sweet spot, imo. There's a lot of corruption to go around.

If you create new farmland in Africa, who's going to stop the war lords from taking over once you leave? If you invent new green energy technology, how many businesses will be shut down because of that, how many jobs lost? Maybe you can retain some of those jobs by training people with the new tech, but what about the truck drivers who used to deliver oil? What're they gonna deliver now, when everyone has solar panels on their homes and no need for deliveries?
    A lot of these new things would still need people looking after them for maintenance/etc, and if you keep at least some of the other businesses as distributors, that helps. But that does remind me of a thought experiment I find fascinating (but a bit off topic, so my apologies in advance): If food is grown/cultivated by robots, sent by robots, prepared by robots, and served by robots (or maybe like Star Trek), are jobs necessary? When robots or tech can do everything, what do we do? Because I think we'll get there, eventually. It's both fun and freaky to think about, imo.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Agreed. There's so much misinformation about that, it's hard to know where to begin.
    Right? At least, if you had Clark's powers, you could listen for their heartbeat. With practice, you'd be able to tell if someone is lying. So you *could* fly in, grab someone, interrogate them, and learn the truth. The problem then becomes deciding who the lesser evil is. Asaad might be a monster, but many of the rebels who oppose him are too. I mean, its a war. That makes monsters of us all. So in a conflict as convoluted as Syria....who's even left with clean hands who could take over after you've thrown everyone else into space?

You'd have to throw 2/3rds of the R party and half of the other one before you hit the sweet spot, imo. There's a lot of corruption to go around.
    And at that point, you've crippled government. And I gotta think, once you've gone that far, is it going to seem all that much further to take the politicians who aren't necessarily corrupt, but are just really damn bad at their jobs, and do the same? It'd be a slippery-ass slope.

A lot of these new things would still need people looking after them for maintenance/etc, and if you keep at least some of the other businesses as distributors, that helps. But that does remind me of a thought experiment I find fascinating (but a bit off topic, so my apologies in advance): If food is grown/cultivated by robots, sent by robots, prepared by robots, and served by robots (or maybe like Star Trek), are jobs necessary? When robots or tech can do everything, what do we do? Because I think we'll get there, eventually. It's both fun and freaky to think about, imo.
    I love that thought experiment. My friends and I pass that one around every six months. We don't have answers, but we have come to the conclusion that the advancement of automation, which has wrecked tons of job industries already, is going to force a shift in how we view employment as a society and what role employment plays going forward. Honestly, its a conversation the industrialized nations probably should've started having long ago but people are always slow on the uptake, especially at that level of things (that's not a slam on politicians, it's just a fact that cultural/policy/social shifts happen slowly and long after they should have).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Right? At least, if you had Clark's powers, you could listen for their heartbeat. With practice, you'd be able to tell if someone is lying. So you *could* fly in, grab someone, interrogate them, and learn the truth. The problem then becomes deciding who the lesser evil is. Asaad might be a monster, but many of the rebels who oppose him are too. I mean, its a war. That makes monsters of us all. So in a conflict as convoluted as Syria....who's even left with clean hands who could take over after you've thrown everyone else into space?
    That's where Golden Age ultimatums come in. "Treat your people right, or I'll be back!" - that kinda thing. If they don't know about Kryptonite, you're golden.

And at that point, you've crippled government. And I gotta think, once you've gone that far, is it going to seem all that much further to take the politicians who aren't necessarily corrupt, but are just really damn bad at their jobs, and do the same? It'd be a slippery-ass slope.
    Oh, big time. If it had to be that way, I do at least have faith in the generation coming up to fill in and do at least somewhat better... but still.

I love that thought experiment. My friends and I pass that one around every six months. We don't have answers, but we have come to the conclusion that the advancement of automation, which has wrecked tons of job industries already, is going to force a shift in how we view employment as a society and what role employment plays going forward. Honestly, its a conversation the industrialized nations probably should've started having long ago but people are always slow on the uptake, especially at that level of things (that's not a slam on politicians, it's just a fact that cultural/policy/social shifts happen slowly and long after they should have).
    Yep. Absolutely. I do have one possible idea, and it's partially a product of Krypton, and partially a product of social media. Imagine that work comes down to what your passion is, and the currency isn't money, it's influence. Likes, butts in seats, who listens to you, etc. Could be really cool, could be really scary, probably a bit of both.

Well, I'm off to Metropolis!! See you all next week (unless I get the odd moment to pop in here, of course). Have fun without me - everyone get all your pro New52/Zack Snyder talking out of your systems before I get back - ROTFLMAO! (that's a joke, folks)
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/