Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm not following this book but I'm glad New 52 Supes is still out there in the multiverse for his fans.
    Sideways has been a lot of fun. We often seem to have very similar tastes so I'd suggest you give it a try. If you liked Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man, Sideways feels a lot like that.

Now if we can only get Kal-L back...
    I can count on one hand the number of pro's who I would trust with that. After what Johns did to the character, I'd rather Kal-L remain gone than be brought back for more abuse.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't think it's that simple. New 52's Superman's origin is scattered among a number of books. Whereas Johns origin is collected into one. With New 52 you have the complete Morrison run and the one Pak wrote for the SO series which collected a bunch of other character's origins as well. This is I think the biggest difference between DC and Marvel. With Marvel, everything counts to some degree or another. Barring something like Iron Man where they outright changed his origin from Vietnam to Iraq or Afghanistan. Compare this to DC where they are still publishing books that aren't canon anymore. Like Batman Year One or the Return of Superman. Half of ROS couldn't have happened now because it was so directly tied to his post-Crisis origin. SO might be selling only because it is the easiest to come by as far as books go in comparison with other versions. When was the last time you saw Birthright in stores?
    I think the basics of Morrison's origin is nicely contained in Action Comics Vol. 1: Superman and the Men of Steel. I don't think DC would be interested in sharing the internal sales data for this, Superman: Secret Origin and Superman: Birthright, but I think there's a pretty good chance the overall sales of these three stories both in print and digital played a role in DC's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think the basics of Morrison's origin is nicely contained in Action Comics Vol. 1: Superman and the Men of Steel. I don't think DC would be interested in sharing the internal sales data for this, Superman: Secret Origin and Superman: Birthright, but I think there's a pretty good chance the overall sales of these three stories both in print and digital played a role in DC's decision.
    I'd hope that management keeps at least an eye on its profit line, right?

But whether this choice was made due to personal choice or sales data, I think they made the right call. Birthright and Action.....those have definitive voices, you know? There's a clear voice to the work. Secret Origin is just a check list of events that happened in the past. It's nothing more than a blueprint. Birthright and Action are both infinitely better stories, and SO is one of the worst things I've ever read from Johns, but as a foundation it's inclusive to post- and pre-Crisis elements and vanilla enough to fit almost anything a writer would want to do with main canon Superman. It's blandness makes it perfect fertilizer, while the other two sort of demand that future writers adhere to a much more defined version.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd hope that management keeps at least an eye on its profit line, right?

But whether this choice was made due to personal choice or sales data, I think they made the right call. Birthright and Action.....those have definitive voices, you know? There's a clear voice to the work. Secret Origin is just a check list of events that happened in the past. It's nothing more than a blueprint. Birthright and Action are both infinitely better stories, and SO is one of the worst things I've ever read from Johns, but as a foundation it's inclusive to post- and pre-Crisis elements and vanilla enough to fit almost anything a writer would want to do with main canon Superman. It's blandness makes it perfect fertilizer, while the other two sort of demand that future writers adhere to a much more defined version.
    For better or worse, I think this is right. Morrison & Waid were very much trying to say something very strongly with their origins, whereas Johns was trying to synthesize all the various takes on Superman's origin in order to bridge the divide between fans of the various Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis, movies, television and cartoon interpretations. By trying to deliver something that would please everyone, it doesn't feel as personal as Morrison & Waid's stories.

However, like I keep saying, there's more than enough room there for Morrison and Waid's stuff to fit in the post-Reborn origin if you want to do so, which was definitely the intent in keeping everything so vague.

For as much as I dislike Secret Origin, I agree with these points. That its empty and soulless, just a checklist, actually works with a continuity and history that is very long, and as a result can be very contradictory and just not worth focusing on trying to make the most sense out of to the detriment of the present. A basic outline does fit best.

And its just another reason I also think Morrison's stuff deserves its own separate Superman at this point if its going to be utilized. It deserves to be explored more in a here-and-now situation imo, not just be part of a basic checklist. And that's not bagging on the current Superman. Its just saying that with a long history and continuity, you push forward, you don't focus on the past. And I just feel the Action Vol. 2 Superman stuff offers so much more than just being part of the past that would frankly be pretty irrelevant to the current Superman in his now.

IOW, I am extremely glad in retrospect that they didn't implement more Morrison into the current Superman. Now, at the very least there's currently another guy out there that gives some tangible hope that they might have interest to utilize another Superman as well, and that this stuff would be best revived there. Best of both worlds, literally. That's my strong hope that's what DC is thinking.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-13-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    For as much as I dislike Secret Origin, I agree with these points. That its empty and soulless, just a checklist, actually works with a continuity and history that is very long, and as a result can be very contradictory and just not worth focusing on trying to make the most sense out of to the detriment of the present. A basic outline does fit best.

And its just another reason I also think Morrison's stuff deserves its own separate Superman at this point if its going to be utilized. It deserves to be explored more in a here-and-now situation imo, not just be part of a basic checklist. And that's not bagging on the current Superman. Its just saying that with a long history and continuity, you push forward, you don't focus on the past. And I just feel the Action Vol. 2 Superman stuff offers so much more than just being part of the past that would frankly be pretty irrelevant to the current Superman in his now.

IOW, I am extremely glad in retrospect that they didn't implement more Morrison into the current Superman. Now, at the very least there's currently another guy out there that gives some tangible hope that they might have interest to utilize another Superman as well, and that this stuff would be best revived there. Best of both worlds, literally. That's my strong hope that's what DC is thinking.
    I agree. Here's hoping!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Man I really miss this guy. I don't mean to be that guy but this is my "Superman." I'm glad the doors open for possible future stories. A Superman traveling the the multiverse like Dr. Who deserves its own book. I hope he eventually finds his home or adopts one. Like the doctors companions, he might hang with alternate versions of characters he knew kind of like Diana or the Superwoman Lois.

Nothing wrong with this being your Superman. Lots of people have "their" Superman. Hell there are lots of people (me included) who have a Superman that doesn't actually exist on the page because we mash up in our heads the ideas we like best for our own ideal. He's certainly closest to my fully formed ideal that I've settled on throughout my life as a fan.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Nothing wrong with this being your Superman. Lots of people have "their" Superman. Hell there are lots of people (me included) who have a Superman that doesn't actually exist on the page because we mash up in our heads the ideas we like best for our own ideal. He's certainly closest to my fully formed ideal that I've settled on throughout my life as a fan.
    Same here. "My" Superman has never seen publication, because he exists only in my head. But Morrison's come awfully close (which isn't surprising since Morrison has influenced my views on Clark more than almost anyone else).

I don't think anyone cares if you have a particular version that's "your's" I think we all do. I think the only time it becomes an issue is when people start saying "My Superman is the only REAL Superman! All others are lesser fakes!" That never sits well with people.

~ Black Panther.

Agreed. Superman's primary home is in your imagination, which is far more powerful and compelling than anything that has ever appeared on the page or screen.

I completely agree. It's annoying to have someone call you out for not being a "true" Superman fan so I definitely wouldn't do that to anyone else. Morrison's take came scarily close to how I've always envisioned him so it was painful to see him get mistreated and tossed aside. Kind of hard not to take it personally which surprised me. Thanks for understanding everyone. I was almost afraid I was starting a "yours" vs "my" war.

Kon93

This is how I envision SB,a mix of many,but also just what I see in my head,and I'm happy with that,same for superman.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I have to admit... tshirt and jeans Superman leaping through the multiverse on Dr. Who esque adventures gets me excited. In fact if this doesn't happen I will be disappointed.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I have to admit... tshirt and jeans Superman leaping through the multiverse on Dr. Who esque adventures gets me excited. In fact if this doesn't happen I will be disappointed.
    I think that is certainly what the ending of the Sideways Annual was setting up, but who knows if we'll ever actually see any of those adventures. If Greg Pak is available, sure! Anyone else might not have much luck. However, now that this incarnation is free from the weight of being the main Superman, creators can do a lot more interesting stuff with him.

It might be fun to see...

I wonder if the "maybe we'll meet in again in a years time" means that the current plan is to see this Superman in next years Sideways annual.