Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I grew up watching soaps with my grandmother in the 70’s. The Doctors & Another World mostly. There were some grisly storylines on Another World as I remember. I got into Days in the 80’s because everyone seemed to watching it in high school. Bo & Hope. Steve (Patch) & Kayla. It was a fun time. I hate seeing so few soaps on daytime. I work in tv and we still run General Hospital but that’s it. I remember when every network had at least 3 soaps! Now it’s mostly News programs & stuff like Maury. I hope Days does continue.

Retired

I've gotten into most of the soaps at one time or another. In the beginning, my mother watched LOVE OF LIFE--and during that half-hour as a little boy, I was an orphan, sent out of the house so she could watch her stories. When we got cable in the late '60s, all the ABC soaps were added to our schedule--DARK SHADOWS, GENERAL HOSPITAL, ONE LIFE TO LIVE, the new ALL MY CHILDREN and others. Then soon after YOUNG & THE RESTLESS. When I was on the east coast with the navy, in Nova Scotia, life stopped at 4 o'clock as everyone--on ship or on base--made time for ANOTHER WORLD. Around the late 1980s, I started to watch or actually more often listen to DAYS OF OUR LIVES. I didn't have a dependable TV back then, or good reception, but I found that I could get the sound of the broadcast on my radio, so I would listen to DOOL on the radio and imagine what was happening. It also helps that there were soap digests and even paperbacks that you could get to fill you in on all the back stories. Later on I did get cable, and I watched a lot of DAYS--before I eventually lost interest, although I still check in from time to time. The soap I've stayed with for many years is CORONATION STREET.

I used to watch Days back in high school but it got waaaaay too silly for me. As long as they keep General Hospital on, I'm good.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I don't think it's canceled sources say NBC doesn't want to cancel the show and actors deny being fired.

Days films crazy ahead like 6 to 7 months which writers for years have complained it doesn't allow them to course correct storylines so right now Days it taking a 4 month hiatus to close the gap and it seems they released contracts just to save money for the next 4 month's.
    The way I heard it is they had that huge gap between when they filmed something and when it went on the air. I think they are always at least 6 months ahead. The problem was it made it hard to adjust things when you have that much already filmed. If a character hit with audiences or a plot did not go over as they thought it would they could not really do anything to either capatilize on or fix issues because of the long lead time. I think they said they were cutting it back to like a 2 month lead time so they could adjust faster to what the audience did and didn't like.

It still amazes me that the guy who used to play Chris Kositchek on the show was cast as Roman Brady, and no one in Salem seems to realize that Roman now looks EXACTLY like Chris. Wake up, Salem!!!

Back in the '80s, I used to have a huge crush on Anna DiMera (portrayed by LeAnn Hunley).

Days of Our Lives, followed by Another World, followed by Santa Barbara. Those are the soaps my mother watched every day, so those were the ones I watched, too. Great times.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 11-14-2019 at 07:23 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Retired

It's weird the hoops they had to jump through when they originally recast Roman Brady--and then when they recast him again they couldn't be bothered--ah it's just a different actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's weird the hoops they had to jump through when they originally recast Roman Brady--and then when they recast him again they couldn't be bothered--ah it's just a different actor.
    And there was the storyline where the original Roman Brady (Wayne Northrup) came back to the show, but not as Roman Brady, but some guy named Alex North, I think. I wonder if Salem realized Alex North looked EXACTLY like Roman Brady!!! Wake up, Salem!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I grew up watching soaps with my grandmother in the 70’s. The Doctors & Another World mostly. There were some grisly storylines on Another World as I remember. I got into Days in the 80’s because everyone seemed to watching it in high school. Bo & Hope. Steve (Patch) & Kayla. It was a fun time. I hate seeing so few soaps on daytime. I work in tv and we still run General Hospital but that’s it. I remember when every network had at least 3 soaps! Now it’s mostly News programs & stuff like Maury. I hope Days does continue.
    I started with Days, back before Bo and Hope arrived and also Another World. Loved the music and songs they used. Also the mystery, like the Salem Strangler, Tony's "Twin", etc. The stories and story-telling format were so much better than today.

I miss the different locales, like "the pier" and "Doug's Place on the Lake", especially when they had singers at the club like Liz (Gloria Loring).

I also miss the old characters, like Mike Horton, Liz, Anna, Kimberly and Carrie.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 11-16-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    It still amazes me that the guy who used to play Chris Kositchek on the show was cast as Roman Brady, and no one in Salem seems to realize that Roman now looks EXACTLY like Chris. Wake up, Salem!!!

Back in the '80s, I used to have a huge crush on Anna DiMera (portrayed by LeAnn Hunley).

Days of Our Lives, followed by Another World, followed by Santa Barbara. Those are the soaps my mother watched every day, so those were the ones I watched, too. Great times.
    I think Salem is too busy reeling from all of the dead people who have come back to life(!) to notice Roman/Chris. It's been fun seeing Anna come back to town recently. She was so beautiful back in the day.

It's amazing what the VCR (yes, VCR) did for so many soap watchers. You were able to watch soaps that were on opposite of each other. I managed to watch Y&R, As The World Turns, and Guiding Light on CBS and then record Days, Another World, and Santa Barbara and watch them at night. I admit, I watched too many soaps as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I think Salem is too busy reeling from all of the dead people who have come back to life(!) to notice Roman/Chris. It's been fun seeing Anna come back to town recently. She was so beautiful back in the day.

It's amazing what the VCR (yes, VCR) did for so many soap watchers. You were able to watch soaps that were on opposite of each other. I managed to watch Y&R, As The World Turns, and Guiding Light on CBS and then record Days, Another World, and Santa Barbara and watch them at night. I admit, I watched too many soaps as a kid.
    Yeah, my mother used to program the VCR in the mornings to record Days of Our Lives, Another World and Santa Barbara, and then she would watch them every night when she came home from working. She only used to watch the NBC soaps, though... I don't remember her watching any other daytime soaps (although she used to watch nighttime soaps like Flamingo Road, Dallas, Knots Landing, Dynasty, The Colby's, Falcon Crest, etc.)

I started branching out to watch One Live to Live once I saw the lovely Tika Sumpter acting on there.

Extraordinary Member

I started branching out to watch One Live to Live once I saw the lovely Tika Sumpter acting on there.
    Yeah, sometime in the 90s, Another World paired Rachel Cory with Carl Perkins and I just couldn't stand it so I switched to One Life To Live as well. Glad I did. Great show.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Just recently, a character was having sex with someone wearing a hitech face mask and a vocal cord manipulator. He couldn't even tell it was some woman he loathed pretending to be a woman he liked.

But yeah, what's really bizarre is that the original Roman was like 6' and Josh Taylor is only like 5'9". Plus the other "Roman" (aka John Black) is like 6'2". No one noticed the different heights.

Salemites have been asleep for years.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 11-19-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Yeah, my mother used to program the VCR in the mornings to record Days of Our Lives, Another World and Santa Barbara, and then she would watch them every night when she came home from working. She only used to watch the NBC soaps, though... I don't remember her watching any other daytime soaps (although she used to watch nighttime soaps like Flamingo Road, Dallas, Knots Landing, Dynasty, The Colby's, Falcon Crest, etc.)

I remember when I was about 16 I started watching Santa Barbara for some reason. I got so hooked on the show. I recorded it every day until I went to college and had to quit.

One of my most horrific teen memories was being 70 miles away from home and realizing I'd forgotten to to set the VCR that day and it was Cruz and Eden's wedding. I should be dead the way I drove trying to get home in time to see some of it. I ended up only seeing the last 20 minutes which was after the wedding. I was crushed.

People today with youtube, streaming, etc have no clue what it was like back then when you only got one shot at seeing something.

Retired

I still have recurring nightmares about taping soap operas and trying to watch the old ones so I can reuse the tape.

Extraordinary Member

One of my most favorite soap opera stories was the 30th anniversary episodes of As The World Turns. They used the two original characters of Chris and Nancy Hughes celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary as the backdrop. So many characters were brought back to celebrate and it was heaven for long-time viewers. I recorded those episodes but the VCR tape broke years later and I was crushed.

For a short period after ATWT was cancelled, some company put out dvd releases of some special episodes and that anniversary was one of them. So I got it back.