Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ka-zar and Shanna Appreciation 2021

KA-ZAR: LORD OF THE SAVAGE LAND #1 (OF 5)
    Written by ZAC THOMPSON
    Art by GERMÁN GARCÍA
    Colors by MAT LOPES
    Cover by JESÚS SAIZ
    Variant Cover by JUANN CABAL
    On Sale 9/8

The alien Cotati murdered him. The Savage Land brought him back. Lord Plunder has returned—with a vastly new perspective! Now united with Shanna the She-Devil in a mystical merging of life energies, Ka-Zar has new abilities, new needs...and new enemies. An ancient evil has surfaced in the Savage Land—one that is rapidly reshaping the forgotten world and its inhabitants. Ka-Zar and Shanna must fight together to protect their home and family! But their son Matthew has plans of his own…

"KA-ZAR: LORD OF THE SAVAGE LAND is the book I’ve always wanted to write,” Thompson said. “It’s an absolute dream-come-true to take a character created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and propel them into the modern Marvel universe with a whole host of horrifying new powers! It’s been years since Ka-Zar had his own series and we wanted to mark the occasion with an evolution that channels something like IMMORTAL HULK but with a distinct throwback to the old adventure pulps that inspired the character’s creation 65 years ago. I’m in awe of our team. Germán Garcia is delivering mind-blowing work that channels the best of Jack Kirby. I’ve literally gasped at multiple pages in each issue. Then we have the gorgeous colors by Mat Lopes that feel organic and ethereal. We’re all under the leadership of our brilliant editor Sarah Brunstad who's expertly guided the vision of this ambitious book from day one. Together we’ve created a story that’s epic, personal, and terrifying. One that’s going to change Ka-Zar and the Savage Land forever!"

"There's nothing better than having the opportunity to explore a classic Marvel character under a new light, and this is what we're doing here,” Garcia said. “And it's not just Ka-zar, but the whole family, and as important as them, the Savage Land itself! It's unreal and fantastic and I'm having a great time trying to portray the way I imagine it."

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...d-announcement

Really excited to see what new abilities he’ll have. And I have a feeling that Marvel may have plans for him on the movie side of things.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

"The alien Cotati murdered him. The Savage Land brought him back. Lord Plunder has returned — with a vastly new perspective! Now united with Shanna the She-Devil in a mystical merging of life energies, Ka-Zar has new abilities, new needs…and new enemies."
    So, in plainer words, he isn't Ka-zar anymore, he's someone/something else in a Ka-zar suit and setting.

Me, I'd prefer Kevin Plunder to be the man he once was, lord of the jungle and all. New stories about that original, actual Ka-zar, those I'd be ready to read (and 'more importantly,' to buy). These? Not so ready. "a story ... that’s going to change Ka-Zar and the Savage Land forever!” To me, that's a warning they couldn't think what to do with the original character, or it was too difficult to work with, as was, so they created someone new and slapped an old label on him to have him pass as an old friend.

For me, he was cool as he was, no 'new abilities' needed. I suppose as long as Zabu doesn't go 'round commenting, "Lying," I'll read a few issues, for old times' sake.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

... uh.. Ka-Zar died?

this was before he became an agent of Wakanda? After?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... uh.. Ka-Zar died?

This is would be right now currently after Empyre and I’d assume right after King in Black

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

But he got better. BETTER than better.
    But clearly not Ka-Zar anymore.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Awesome! Another Appreciation Thread for Ka-Zar! Definitely, most deserving (IMHO): https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2021

Here's hoping 2021 will be a better year for both the Ka-Zar family & every resident of the SAVAGE LAND!
    Last edited by K7P5V; 06-14-2021 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... uh.. Ka-Zar died?

After. Agents of Wakanda ended just before Empyre, remember (and their tie-in was a COVID casualty).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

And where's zabu?

besides new characters, hopefully the strips will catch up with some older savage land characters, like Nereel and her son Peter.

Only a mini-series again. Better than nothing I guess, but I'm not that hopeful of anything "expertly guided" by editor Sarah Brunstad.

BANNED

I've been waiting for this and will probably read it, although i shudder to think about Ka-Zar with superpowers.

Also the art doesn't appeal to me. At all.

The first time I met Ka-Zar was in X-Men #115.
    Dpfb0JJWsAAFSwD.jpg

At least it's nice to see Ka-Zar and family get something.