Page 48 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    I still don't see it, but if I had the actual book with all the dialogue... perhaps. From the plot points that were shared, it sounds more like some rebels/friends are 'saving' Rachel because she is a valuable asset and potential weapon of mass destruction. It's more about their agenda rather than Rachel's own motivations. Rachel's previously narrated heroic break from Ahab's is now a spotlight on Jean/Phoenix's sacrifice. In X-Men 141, it was explicitly stated that it was Rachel's solution to do the time-mind swap to save the world, now it's Kurt's idea. We have a vulnerable girl, who has lived years under mental subjugation, now recently freed and we're now to assume she can automatically be proactive, without downtime to process trauma or any amount of time to even have imagination. This is more of Claremont's femsub fantasies.
    spoilers:

From the book itself, Rachel explicitly says that she saved herself with the help of her mother. On first glance it's presented entirely as Jean Grey saving her. On second glance, it's presented as Rachel securing her memories in a facsimile of the Baxter Building (never named, but it seemed clear to me that's what it was) and Jean using those memories to manifest in her.

As for Rachel's heroic break from Ahab, as I said, that's clearly all on Rachel still because though that narratively makes sense after this, Ahab is presented as a cyborg in this - meaning it must take place before. Thus, it's clear that Rachel broke free from Ahab, crushed his body and he pumped her full of nanites - prompting Nightcrawler and his team to go out to rescue her.

As for the time travel, that's only explicitly mentioned by Kate Rasputin in this and it isn't made clear whose idea it is. It's said that Kid Stark has an idea on how to beat the Sentinels that's dependent on Rachel, but that could be the raid on the Baxter Building as much as it is the time travel (hence why the raid fails, Rachel doesn't participate).
    end of spoilers

Fantastic Member

I'm not sure what to think about all of this. I loved reading it. There was a great moment with Jean and Rachel there that I absolutely loved. I would have really liked to have gotten the issue myself but it was so expensive. For me with Rachel it's all about her need for family and with Kurt doing what he has to not just because she can be used as a massive weapon but because he is her godfather, is just great. Add in that part with Jean protecting her for years and the acknowledgment that she is the Starchilde. I think it's pretty good. I get that yeah she is immediately used as a weapon but she does it willingly. A true homage to her parents. Finally she is allowed to show that she is just as powerful and courageous as her parents.

Hello again, I love that we have news about Rachel, it´s really hopeful, the new images of the Trial of Magneto are beautiful and I love how Rachel looks, amazing!
    I have not had a lot of time to draw but I made two more drawings, I hope you like them!

IMG-0551.jpg IMG-0550.jpg IMG-0549.jpg

Revenant
    Marvel Girl 1
    Marvel Girl 2

X-men the End Vol.3 issue 6 President kitty Pryde has 3 children and on an episode of Jay & miles x-plain the x-men with Chris Claremont. Claremont explains that the other parent is Rachel summers.

I cried when I found this out. It’s a beautiful & profound thing Claremont wrote

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott402 View Post
    I'm not sure what to think about all of this. I loved reading it. There was a great moment with Jean and Rachel there that I absolutely loved. I would have really liked to have gotten the issue myself but it was so expensive. For me with Rachel it's all about her need for family and with Kurt doing what he has to not just because she can be used as a massive weapon but because he is her godfather, is just great. Add in that part with Jean protecting her for years and the acknowledgment that she is the Starchilde. I think it's pretty good. I get that yeah she is immediately used as a weapon but she does it willingly. A true homage to her parents. Finally she is allowed to show that she is just as powerful and courageous as her parents.
    So while on one hand this story solidifies that Rachel is in fact the daughter of the Phoenix, which makes her Thor's sister, this story in my mind takes agency away from Rachel. We were told that after all the deaths that Rachel finally was able to break through the programming, attack and maim Ahab, and then send to the Bronx concentration camp. Through her own power and will. And now it's because Kurt and Jean saved her. While a seemingly touching story it makes me feel that she can't be allowed to own her destiny and do anything to save herself. It's always up to someone else to save her. Which I find problematic. Thanks Claremont.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    So while on one hand this story solidifies that Rachel is in fact the daughter of the Phoenix, which makes her Thor's sister, this story in my mind takes agency away from Rachel. We were told that after all the deaths that Rachel finally was able to break through the programming, attack and maim Ahab, and then send to the Bronx concentration camp. Through her own power and will. And now it's because Kurt and Jean saved her. While a seemingly touching story it makes me feel that she can't be allowed to own her destiny and do anything to save herself. It's always up to someone else to save her. Which I find problematic. Thanks Claremont.
    It's really just an extra step in between. She did still demolish Ahab. But the Sentinels loaded her full of nanites because they could no longer control her. Well, it's th eonly way to rationalize that. She's the one who creates the totality of her memories that shields the part of Jean within her that lets Phoenix manifest. Then, she's the one who chooses to return to the camps.

I get that Nightcrawler and Jean do have a big hand in getting Jean to the camps now, but Rachel isn't entirely removed from her own story.
    Last edited by Drexelhand; 07-19-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    X-men the End Vol.3 issue 6 President kitty Pryde has 3 children and on an episode of Jay & miles x-plain the x-men with Chris Claremont. Claremont explains that the other parent is Rachel summers.

I cried when I found this out. It’s a beautiful & profound thing Claremont wrote
    The ending of The End wasn't clear to me... is Rachel dead or alive? Is she just part of a cosmic construct and will never see Kitty or her kids again? That's sad. I was happy to see a version of Rachel that was very skilled though, although she seemed conflicted throughout the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    It's really just an extra step in between. She did still demolish Ahab. But the Sentinels loaded her full of nanites because they could no longer control her. Well, it's th eonly way to rationalize that. She's the one who creates the totality of her memories that shields the part of Jean within her that lets Phoenix manifest. Then, she's the one who chooses to return to the camps.

I get that Nightcrawler and Jean do have a big hand in getting Jean to the camps now, but Rachel isn't entirely removed from her own story.
    It can be rationalized for sure and it's a feel good story that makes Rachel's struggle less sad, but is it necessary or impactful? Days of Future Past is such a classic, Rachel is set up at the end of as the sole survivor, it's her job to save the future because there is no one else who can. Every time a writer manipulates the events of this narrative for their own whims, character's like Rachel become less and less believable.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    The ending of The End wasn't clear to me... is Rachel dead or alive? Is she just part of a cosmic construct and will never see Kitty or her kids again? That's sad. I was happy to see a version of Rachel that was very skilled though, although she seemed conflicted throughout the series.
    It'd odd... but she's alive. She gets killed, but when Jean Grey becomes Phoenix and constructs Tiferet, all the branches of the tree need to be alive and as one of those branches, Rachel is resurrected.

It can be rationalized for sure and it's a feel good story that makes Rachel's struggle less sad, but is it necessary or impactful? Days of Future Past is such a classic, Rachel is set up at the end of as the sole survivor, it's her job to save the future because there is no one else who can. Every time a writer manipulates the events of this narrative for their own whims, character's like Rachel become less and less believable.
    I mean, sure? That's not really what I was talking about.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Two thoughts:
    1) To tie off my thoughts on UX140.5 - While I enjoyed reading the story here, I feel like it only made things more complex for Rachel's past in a sense. Highlights are the relationships that she had with Jean and Kurt, and the on paper canon fact that she is the daughter of the Phoenix. But again it feels like it pulls her agency away. Yes she makes a choice in the end but it muddies the water now on her will (at least to me). S mixed feelings but overall positive.
    2) Trial of Magneto - I am really glad that she is being used from the get go with her powers. I am glad that Leah was allowed to pull her team in one last time, vs using Jean or Emma which you know a different writer would have done. I do wonder beyond the first issue how much time they will get as this mini seems to have a lot of heft to it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Two thoughts:
    1) To tie off my thoughts on UX140.5 - While I enjoyed reading the story here, I feel like it only made things more complex for Rachel's past in a sense. Highlights are the relationships that she had with Jean and Kurt, and the on paper canon fact that she is the daughter of the Phoenix. But again it feels like it pulls her agency away. Yes she makes a choice in the end but it muddies the water now on her will (at least to me). S mixed feelings but overall positive.
    2) Trial of Magneto - I am really glad that she is being used from the get go with her powers. I am glad that Leah was allowed to pull her team in one last time, vs using Jean or Emma which you know a different writer would have done. I do wonder beyond the first issue how much time they will get as this mini seems to have a lot of heft to it.
    It honestly seems like X-Factor beyond Lorna are going to be supporting characters who drive the plot forward. I really do expect it to be all about Magneto - which makes sense (this isn't a Tomb of Dracula situation) - and thus really only Lorna will get development.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    It honestly seems like X-Factor beyond Lorna are going to be supporting characters who drive the plot forward. I really do expect it to be all about Magneto - which makes sense (this isn't a Tomb of Dracula situation) - and thus really only Lorna will get development.
    I have hope that Rachel will get a bigger focus because her powerset are kinda essential to the way they investigate, but I could see them breaking it down between her and Eye Boy. I guess we'll see.

Does anyone here think that Rachel will be adopted by another book eventually?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I have hope that Rachel will get a bigger focus because her powerset are kinda essential to the way they investigate, but I could see them breaking it down between her and Eye Boy. I guess we'll see.

Does anyone here think that Rachel will be adopted by another book eventually?
    People have speculated Excalibur because Tini Howard's written her in there and she has history with the team name, but honestly, it seems like Tini's just interested in using her to interact with Betsy as Captain Britain (despite writing her as practically incompetent and only wanting the title for the sake of wanting it) and I'd rather she avoid the fate of Gambit and Jubilee.

Another image of Rachel in X-Men: The Trial Of Magneto #1.
    20210723_201050.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by askani_son View Post
    Another image of Rachel in X-Men: The Trial Of Magneto #1.
    20210723_201050.jpg
    Omg I love seeing Jean and Rachel using their powers together.