Page 65 of 134 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I like it - pretty clear premise to start (Beyond specifically sought out Ben to be "their" Spider-man) with plenty of room for various twists (Beyond needs Ben for a specific evil plot, Ben knows they're evil and is a double agent, Peter is posing as Ben, Ben secretly made a deal with Mephisto and that's how he got the job offer, who knows?). I've always like Gleason's art, so no big surprise there. I can't wait
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I like it - pretty clear premise to start (Beyond specifically sought out Ben to be "their" Spider-man) with plenty of room for various twists (Beyond needs Ben for a specific evil plot, Ben knows they're evil and is a double agent, Peter is posing as Ben, Ben secretly made a deal with Mephisto and that's how he got the job offer, who knows?). I've always like Gleason's art, so no big surprise there. I can't wait
    Half these ideas seem really good but after superior I don't trust marvel with this.
    If they focused on Peter more in superior instead of Ock(Ik they choose Ock and they wanted to explore that, but I'd rather we have seen more of Peter react to how others react to Ock and more of him in the mindscape).
    Doing that here may work as well.Imagine if Peter actually plays an important role throughout the story and isn't clueless and just jammed in the end.

Again if it's good I'll happily eat my words.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Half these ideas seem really good but after superior I don't trust marvel with this.
    If they focused on Peter more in superior instead of Ock(Ik they choose Ock and they wanted to explore that, but I'd rather we have seen more of Peter react to how others react to Ock and more of him in the mindscape).
    Doing that here may work as well.Imagine if Peter actually plays an important role throughout the story and isn't clueless and just jammed in the end.

Again if it's good I'll happily eat my words.
    I'm not worrying too much about pre-judging stuff - it'll be good or not and I'll enjoy it or not - but I think the simpler the premise, the more likely the story will be good. Overly complicated premises wreak havoc on coordinating plots amongst many writers. Obviously, there's an end in mind here for this story, but if the beginning is too elaborate, the story can collapse under its own weight before it can really get going without intense coordination (which seems to be asking a lot for what sounds like something of an 11th hour story project).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I'm not worrying too much about pre-judging stuff - it'll be good or not and I'll enjoy it or not - but I think the simpler the premise, the more likely the story will be good. Overly complicated premises wreak havoc on coordinating plots amongst many writers. Obviously, there's an end in mind here for this story, but if the beginning is too elaborate, the story can collapse under its own weight before it can really get going without intense coordination (which seems to be asking a lot for what sounds like something of an 11th hour story project).
    Yeah, I can see that.
    I just hope they don't shove peter away(which is what they are doing based on solicits) for a simple story.Specially after Spencer's run end

Mighty Member

Yeah, I can see that.
    I just hope they don't shove peter away(which is what they are doing based on solicits) for a simple story.Specially after Spencer's run end
    This is going to come off more condescending than I mean it, but trusting solicitations, especially in this case where it's a new status quo they want to keep under wraps, is really just silly. That Peter will be seriously injured seems clear, but why, how much, how long he takes to recover and how much of that is on screen are certainly elements that they'll intentionally obfuscate to keep readers' attention

Mighty Member

The couple of panels that Bleeding Cool posted are a great teaser, because boy, oh boy do they raise some questions.

Nothing there to really cement what take they are going with where Ben is concerned. Hopefully we'll get a clearer idea from the rest of the FCBD story, or at least ASM #75. Everything in this tiny sample could be read as either a classicly heroic Ben, or a more sinister Slott/PAD Ben or anywhere in between.

New suit looks good from multiple angles, though. And it is damn nice to get the blonde back at last.

Beyond's probably gonna bend things somehow to ensure Peter gets taken out so there is no question then. I don't think Ben has any idea lol.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    There was nothing stopping them from doing another Scarlet Spider series. This idea that you need to have characters in a main book in order to launch one for them isn't entirely true. So Rhodey needs to replace Tony again for War Machine to get another shot?

Ben was effectively redeemed after Spider-geddon. His stint in Iron Man has just furthered that. Just go, "bam! New Scarlet Spider #1"

My personal preference would be for a Scarlet Spider/s series as well but I think there's two definitive advantages to having him take the mantle of Spider-man again.

#1 and most importantly to me is that Ben deserves another shot at being Spider-man. Whether you like or hate the character I think his initial run was always going to met with serious resistance from the fandom due to the idiotic decision to try and say he was the real Peter Parker all along.

If people don't like him after this than hey it is what it is but it's not going to be because Marvel is trying to replace Peter for the long haul and tell you that he is and was always a clone.

#2 I really liked Christopher Yost's Scarlet Spider run but it did leave some loose threads by the time it ended like the Aracely/Aztec gods connection and there's no telling if we'll ever get a resolution to that and I don't think loose threads or rushed endings will be as much as a problem with Ben featured in ASM as opposed to a Scarlet Spider book.

Incredible Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/fcbd...going-forward/

Spoilers for the FCBD

So Ben's new costume has some special stuff
    And he knows he's working with Beyond Corp
    I don't think he realizes they are evil as of yet.

The disrespect, yeah I'm so done with this

Isn't this like the 10th time you've said you're done with Spider-Man beyond since it's been announced Stop torturing yourself and just go read some other comics for however long this lasts and it'll be over before you know it.

Anyhow interesting preview and I'm guessing the dude with guns for hands is Bushwacker.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    My personal preference would be for a Scarlet Spider/s series as well but I think there's two definitive advantages to having him take the mantle of Spider-man again.

#1 and most importantly to me is that Ben deserves another shot at being Spider-man. Whether you like or hate the character I think his initial run was always going to met with serious resistance from the fandom due to the idiotic decision to try and say he was the real Peter Parker all along.

If people don't like him after this than hey it is what it is but it's not going to be because Marvel is trying to replace Peter for the long haul and tell you that he is and was always a clone.

#2 I really liked Christopher Yost's Scarlet Spider run but it did leave some loose threads by the time it ended like the Aracely/Aztec gods connection and there's no telling if we'll ever get a resolution to that and I don't think loose threads or rushed endings will be as much as a problem with Ben featured in ASM as opposed to a Scarlet Spider book.
    There are several keys to having this story come out right. 1: It cannot be a rehash of Superior. Like that story or not we do not need it repeated. 2: If you want to establish Ben as a character then make sure this arc is about HIM. We do not need to see Peter in a hospital bed, in therapy or some other negative situation ( especially not killed off, or having to be a “Damsel In Distress” with Ben having to save him ( I had enough of that on Spencer’s run)). 4:We can use a story where Spider-Man does a major beat down on a bad guy ( or gal). 5: Ben is NOT the bad guy. I have had enough of the “Betrayal angle” ( Boomerang, JJJ etc). We do not need Ben betraying Peter.

Isn't this like the 10th time you've said you're done with Spider-Man beyond since it's been announced Stop torturing yourself and just go read some other comics for however long this lasts and it'll be over before you know it.

Anyhow interesting preview and I'm guessing the dude with guns for hands is Bushwacker.
    more like 30th time since the thread started last month. I do wonder how he dealt with Superior or even Ben reign as Spider-man during the clone saga? Anyway Ben new suit is nice. Always did like it when the suit has extra abilities. Sucks that they lose it the next following arc. Like would it be so difficult to keep the based design of a suit for example Peters and just keep the tech? Like when i play ps4 spiderman I wear the classic suit yet I do include the abilities of the other suit
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Oh I'll read it. I have no problem with Ben and enjoyed his initial run (however brief it was). I also know it won't last (because comics).

But we should be well and truly beyond replacing characters at this point to either 1. Prop up one or 2. Peddle the other. It is okay when they do it every decade or so (at least with Peter it has been technically "himself" in a fashion with Ben being a Clone and Spock using Peter's body). But Marvel just got back to using the originals again after the great replace push of Now! And ANMN! And now we have Peter being replaced, Venom being replaced, Darkhawk being replaced, Thor no longer able to wield Mjolnir, it is overkill. Are they that desperate for IPs are they?

The likely scenario is this:

• Ben gets recruited by Beyond. They have ulterior motives (I reckon taking Peter out is part of it).
    • Ben is either obvious to that fact or is working a angle of his own.
    • Both Peter and Ben work together/come across one another.
    • Peter gets taken out. Ben survives due to the upgrades in his suit.
    • Eventually it'll be revealed Beyond was behind the villain who took Peter down. This will be revealed to us, but not Ben.
    • Eventually Ben will begin to suspect something is amiss. He'll investigate on his own or work with Peter (depends on his status)
    • It will come to a head, Ben will rebel and try to bring Beyond down (depending on the ending he could do it solo. But I doubt it).
    • Ben realises he can't do it alone and teams up with Peter for the final showdown.
    • At the end Ben will either 1. Walk away from being Spider-man (recognising Peter is and he was just a pawn under Beyond), 2. Continue to be A Spider-man and/or 3 return to being Scarlet Spider and get another series that'll likely last as long as the others have.

Extraordinary Member

That's just messed up man.
    Ben doesn't deserve being Spidey.You don't sideline a main character in his own book to peddle someone else.He does deserve a solo.
    And replacing Peter will always be met with enormous resistance.The size of the fanbase's cannot be compared.
    And remaining threads can easily be resolved in his solo.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Venom being replaced, .
    I don't disagree with your larger point, but I straight up disagree with this. Venom is a radically different animal. Eddie hasn't been replaced, he's evolved. It's character progression. He hasn't been shelved, or set aside. And he's clearly still a part of the Venom book moving forward.

I don't expect the situation with Eddie and Dylan to be status quo in the long haul, but it's a much more organic and character driven change than what you're talking about elsewhere.

And I say that as one of the biggest Ben Reilly fans on this board. I'm loving the thought of having Ben back, and dreading the inevitable monkey's paw that Marvel ALWAYS pulls with him. But it does suck that the only way they seem able to work with the character is at Peter's expense. It shouldn't be a zero sum game. Some writer somewhere must have an idea that would elevate both characters without jobbing one or the other.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I don't disagree with your larger point, but I straight up disagree with this. Venom is a radically different animal. Eddie hasn't been replaced, he's evolved. It's character progression. He hasn't been shelved, or set aside. And he's clearly still a part of the Venom book moving forward.

I don't expect the situation with Eddie and Dylan to be status quo in the long haul, but it's a much more organic and character driven change than what you're talking about elsewhere.

And I say that as one of the biggest Ben Reilly fans on this board. I'm loving the thought of having Ben back, and dreading the inevitable monkey's paw that Marvel ALWAYS pulls with him. But it does suck that the only way they seem able to work with the character is at Peter's expense. It shouldn't be a zero sum game. Some writer somewhere must have an idea that would elevate both characters without jobbing one or the other.
    I agree, Eddie hasn't been pushed yet

But Peter has been pushed for both Ben(as you agree) and Miles(ITSV, his game and comics all lowball and sideline peter or need a broken or dead Peter to work).That is (one of the reasons)why Miguel is the best legacy Spider.In his existence and in team up no one is pushed or jobbed and they are different enough in personality that it shows and have a great dynamic.

Peter has been pushed way too much and it's only getting worse.
    His book ASM, which is going to be taken over by Ben reilly and he's being written off in his own book.
    He has 1 mini and 1 what-if.(Symbiote Spider-man and Spider-shadow)
    Non-stop has had an awful schedule and has been not solicited for 2 months and is probably cancelled.

So by October his what-if is done, his ongoing is taken over by another character and his secondary title is on hiatus or cancelled.Only has one mini that too will be half-way done.

Spidey is taking a massive hit as shown above.
    Heck even rn his book is more than 50% other characters and barely any Spidey(still a good run though).
    His 2nd game got put aside for Miles spin-off(which is ok but still means we have to wait more) and there's a chance the it will be Spider-men and again sidelining and low-balling him like they did in MM.
    And Spider-man isn't even a part of a team book like an Avengers or defenders squad.
    Even in Spider-verse stuff like Geddon he was massively sidelined.
    And many adaptation like the game and T.V. shows are jamming Spider-fam and making them the norm instead of multiversal team-up.

He is there biggest and most popular character they have and amazing in sales and all the can do is sideline him and use him for other characters.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 07-30-2021 at 09:54 PM.