Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Look, just because Superman is a title that can be passed on and inherited, doesn't mean it should. Marvel epically screwed up in their attempts to democratize the names of their A-listers, and I don't want the exact same thing to happen to DC. I can accept the Flash as a shared title because that's exactly what the Flash has become since the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Superman is a completely different story, however. Reign of the Supermen made it clear that Clark was the one and true Superman, everyone else was just gonna pale in comparison. And at the risk of angering some people, Jon and Conner are merely supporting characters in Clark's story. I understand there is a need to develop the supporting cast so that they don't feel like cardboard cut-outs, but you do not diminish or bring the protagonist down several pegs to make that happen.
    Incorrect, Jon and Conner can be called spin of characters. The legacy concept started with crisis on infinite earths. But, changing of heroes started with Golden age to silverage transition. It happened to almost every character. Except for trinity. We didn't have a new character named kane kent superman or Benjamin wayne batman after the reveal of two earths. Which unfair to the other golden age characters. Superman book title are already being shared. I mean, we are talking about Jon kent more than Clark kent these days. Which is a shame. I want jon to have mantle and just go on his way into other titles like legion, supersons.. Etc.Clark is part of a shared universe, has always had to adhere to its rule. Clark can't outrun A flash. He can't out brain a Bruce or lex. So his protagonist status is limited to his corner. If Jon or Conner leaves that domain, they just have to follow the rules of larger dcu.
    And marvel tried to push legacy on to characters that aren't supposed to be. Hulk isn't a title or a mantle. Nor is Thor. Spiderman can work. Captain America works. Captain marvel already was.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-20-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

Jon is a new character, it makes sense for there to be more chatter around him. The others, have sort of settled in their roles, even Conner who's been missing for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    There are other Supermen besides Clark but only HE IS SUPERMAN, the totality thereof in person, name, character, ideals, heritage, upbringing, the whole shebang. The others are so as well in their right but with little qualifiers that distinguish them from him, nothing quite like Clark. They are "a" superman but only he is "the" Superman. As I said, others exist besides Clark and others will come after him (Kon, Jon, Secundus etc) but they will never surpass the man himself, much like satellites revolving around the main body, not to be diminished in anyway but basically deriving their super identity from him. There may come a time when they are called Superman but that will be more a professional title (which will be temporary) for what they do as opposed to Clark, where it's a form of his personal name as well as title rolled into one.

Whatever Bendis ends up doing, I don't think DC is passing down the title of Superman this easily, especially not when Clark is still very much active. It reminds me of a review of Reign where the writer compared it to Into the Spider-Verse. The latter celebrated the idea of anyone becoming spider-man while the former heightened that in a world of many supermen, there was only one Superman. There are some things that can be passed down but others just can't and the very concept of who Superman is cannot even if other people may call themselves that and have his powers.

Nonetheless, it's the Superboy name that's in question not Clark's super name so I wouldn't worry too much about anyone encroaching on Clark's domain.
    Yeah! That is exactly what i mean and want. Jon be allowed to take the professional role of a superman. He should be treated/written like one by the writer. Not some kid goofing of with powers(to my greatest misfortune ) or teen who tries find his place. I want Jon to give of the aura or air of a superman. Albeit, different.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Why is that? I mean, there are multiple Flashes. And name change only signifies Jon's coming of age. Jon is grown up. So he has become super"man" from super"boy". Besides, it's not like Clark hasn't shared panel space with other supermen. Nor is Clark being replaced. Jon is aged this much.And we don't even get to see Jon Kent superman. That would just suck.
    Superman is not a legacy character.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! That is exactly what i mean and want. Jon be allowed to take the professional role of a superman. He should be treated/written like one by the writer. Not some kid goofing of with powers(to my greatest misfortune ) or teen who tries find his place. I want Jon to give of the aura or air of a superman. Albeit, different.
    Jon is a child.

Nothing says he's going to become Superman. I think that is, thankfully, the point of the current stuff. Superman is the experience of Kal-El, a refugee from a doomed world. Jon isn't his father, he might not be the same stock either. He doesn't need to be shoehorned into the LoSH mythology, which would only disservice the Legion. He doesn't have to become Superman.

I'm sure he isn't going to grow up to be some tyrant, he was raised by Lois and Clark. Maybe he'll lean more towards science. Maybe philosophy. Maybe space exploration. Who knows?

Now Kon-El is a clone of Superman, so there will be some overlap. He will have the desire to be a hero, but also to do it in his own way.

So, "SUPERBOY" suits them both.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-20-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

This topic isn't about whether someone inherit Superman mantle. In fact, it's extremely unlikely any of the Superboys will use that name.

This topic is about who would mantain Superboy mantle.

Now, Conner and Jon seem to be the same age. So, the age won't affect the use of the name.
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-20-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    This topic isn't about whether someone inherit Superman mantle. In fact, it's extremely unlikely any of the Superboys will use that name.

This topic is about who would mantain Superboy mantle.

Now, Conner and Jon seem to be the same age. So, the age won't affect the use of the nane.
    Yes, both should.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Speaking of...where is Kenan?
    He cameo’d in Drowned Earth but otherwise nothing. I’m so sad, I love Kenan.

I think that conner will be called in the future as Superman Secundus that way Dc would make the future that Grant Morrison showed
    in DC One Million and All-Star Superman would be made possible in main continuity in some way

Wouldn't Jon fit more as his heir? I mean, its all potential futures so in the end I'm not that invested, it just seems more likely it would be a biological heir. But with that said, the very fact we are talking about potential futures, I would hope such a thing would just be subtly implied either way. I wouldn't want them to actually go there beyond all shadow of a doubt.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-20-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I dunno. I can see an argument for either Jon or Conner to keep the Superboy name. But I can also see an argument for both changing it.

Jon has spent the last few years on his own, doing his own thing on his own terms, or whatever it is he's been up to. He might very well feel that he's aged beyond SuperBOY. Plus that line from Lobo about "you're a man when you decide you are" feels pretty telling. But at the same time he's Clark's son and the heir apparent to the Super-legacy. And if the Legion rumors are true it'd be stronger marketing to put a Superboy on that roster. Of course, SuperLAD works just as well within the context of the Legion and their naming practices.

Conner has always been a black sheep in the Super herd, and after being AWOL for so long he might feel that he too has grown beyond the Superboy name. But if Bendis is keeping the "doesnt grow older" plot device then it makes a lot of sense for Conner to keep Superboy as his moniker. Plus there's the larger media stuff out there, and while DC doesn't chase synergy like Marvel does they still like to line a few things up when they can.

I wouldn't be surprised if the YJ generation all went to new names. Bart is back as Impulse, Damian is well established and successful as Robin, and Jon's the new hotness as Superboy. Tim Drake had already left "Robin" partially behind him (not that Red Robin was a big step, or even a good name). And just like the NTT generation took up their own names, it'd be fitting for the YJ generation to do so as well. But if Bendis was going to change Tim from Robin, then why make him Robin again in the first place? And if Bart and Conner aren't going to keep Kid Flash and Superboy, why have Tim keep Robin?

I dunno. We'll see how it goes. I'm just happy the YJ kids are back, and while I'm still hesitant about Jon becoming a teenager, I'm interested in his "space prince" direction. Cosmic Superman is my jam and this is leaning really heavily into that sensibility, which pleases me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Kon93

I wish ppl would read my damn posts, cause the mantle issue you guys have went on about now is not about SB or Jon taking superman as a hero name, but Val zod coming in and doing it, Mark my damn words folks.

I personally want Jon at 10,but bendis and DC want it both ways, so we have young and older Jon, and for the forseable future.

Names for jon
    Superson
    Superlad

Names for SB
    Scion
    Sentinel
    Agent S

And yes I would rather have SB be a few years older, Atleast low end 18,high end would be 21.

Jon is all about sticking close to his dad's noir, while SB is all about getting away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Speaking of...where is Kenan?
    Appearing in the World Journal, apparently. Teen Titan Roundhouse's Mom has heard of him.

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno. I can see an argument for either Jon or Conner to keep the Superboy name. But I can also see an argument for both changing it.

Jon has spent the last few years on his own, doing his own thing on his own terms, or whatever it is he's been up to. He might very well feel that he's aged beyond SuperBOY. Plus that line from Lobo about "you're a man when you decide you are" feels pretty telling. But at the same time he's Clark's son and the heir apparent to the Super-legacy. And if the Legion rumors are true it'd be stronger marketing to put a Superboy on that roster. Of course, SuperLAD works just as well within the context of the Legion and their naming practices.

Conner has always been a black sheep in the Super herd, and after being AWOL for so long he might feel that he too has grown beyond the Superboy name. But if Bendis is keeping the "doesnt grow older" plot device then it makes a lot of sense for Conner to keep Superboy as his moniker. Plus there's the larger media stuff out there, and while DC doesn't chase synergy like Marvel does they still like to line a few things up when they can.

I wouldn't be surprised if the YJ generation all went to new names. Bart is back as Impulse, Damian is well established and successful as Robin, and Jon's the new hotness as Superboy. Tim Drake had already left "Robin" partially behind him (not that Red Robin was a big step, or even a good name). And just like the NTT generation took up their own names, it'd be fitting for the YJ generation to do so as well. But if Bendis was going to change Tim from Robin, then why make him Robin again in the first place? And if Bart and Conner aren't going to keep Kid Flash and Superboy, why have Tim keep Robin?

I dunno. We'll see how it goes. I'm just happy the YJ kids are back, and while I'm still hesitant about Jon becoming a teenager, I'm interested in his "space prince" direction. Cosmic Superman is my jam and this is leaning really heavily into that sensibility, which pleases me.

I think Bendis is actually starting them out at 1 point and will write them moving into another.

So I see Tim moving from Robin to something like Redbird or whatever, and SB moving from superboy to something else with a S.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Jon is a child.

Nothing says he's going to become Superman. I think that is, thankfully, the point of the current stuff. Superman is the experience of Kal-El, a refugee from a doomed world. Jon isn't his father, he might not be the same stock either. He doesn't need to be shoehorned into the LoSH mythology, which would only disservice the Legion. He doesn't have to become Superman.

I'm sure he isn't going to grow up to be some tyrant, he was raised by Lois and Clark. Maybe he'll lean more towards science. Maybe philosophy. Maybe space exploration. Who knows?

Now Kon-El is a clone of Superman, so there will be some overlap. He will have the desire to be a hero, but also to do it in his own way.

So, "SUPERBOY" suits them both.
    Yeah! 17 or 18 is not regarded as a child in my parts of the world. Did i say Jon was like Clark? No. That doesn't disqualify him. Jon is a second generation immigrant. He is embodiment of American dream of Clark. The sign of his Success.As long as Jon represents Clark's ideals. He can be a superman. That is just me.
    Legion thing isn't me. Bendis is planning to send a Jon or Kon to legion. And even the superman thing isn't me. Bendis had been foreshadowing it in the books and interview. And i like the direction. As long as jon is given enough importance and some cool/great characterization. If it isn't a red hierring.