Page 185 of 388 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235285 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 5810
    Astonishing Member

The farmer backstory in theory could be good but has thus far just actively hurt Superman as a character. It seems to be trying to basically eat into the character and turn him away from being a Superhero and towards being a farmer who just happens to have powers. A more nuanced portrayal could intelligently work his rural background as a part of a more multifaceted whole but the modern writers just cant seem to do that. Instead we keep getting farmboy at heart who at the end of the day just can't compete with a guy who's Superman at heart. The modern writers seem obsessed with getting Supes back on that farm and keeping him there. Tomasi/Jurgens tried it and they're doing it again with the upcoming tv show.

The farmer backstory has thus far been like if they brought back Bruce's parents but also tried to explain how he became Batman anyways.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman should earth parents should circus artists like dick graysons parents. That way the costume would make sense as well

Astonishing Member

My opinion is that there is nothing more boring than debating whether he's really Superman first or Clark first.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    My opinion is that there is nothing more boring than debating whether he's really Superman first or Clark first.
    There is however value in which identity should be in focus. Superman should be about superman.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lol @ Goku not kissing. He's like the middle ground between Superman and Michael Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    The farmer backstory in theory could be good but has thus far just actively hurt Superman as a character. It seems to be trying to basically eat into the character and turn him away from being a Superhero and towards being a farmer who just happens to have powers. A more nuanced portrayal could intelligently work his rural background as a part of a more multifaceted whole but the modern writers just cant seem to do that. Instead we keep getting farmboy at heart who at the end of the day just can't compete with a guy who's Superman at heart. The modern writers seem obsessed with getting Supes back on that farm and keeping him there. Tomasi/Jurgens tried it and they're doing it again with the upcoming tv show.

The farmer backstory has thus far been like if they brought back Bruce's parents but also tried to explain how he became Batman anyways.
    The comparison to the Waynes works if you believe he wouldn't be Superman without the Kents dying, sure. But "keep bringing back" and "can't compete" are two statements at odds with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Actually, superman fights should aim better.

There's a lot of controversy in how they handled the destruction, but I think Man of Steel has the most exciting action of any first hero outing.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Lol @ Goku not kissing. He's like the middle ground between Superman and Michael Jackson.

There's a lot of controversy in how they handled the destruction, but I think Man of Steel has the most exciting action of any first hero outing.
    Goku is the guy who thought marriage was a food. Honestly, superman needs to be a bit more whimsical in my opinion like in silverage.

It's not the destruction. It's the lack of physical effect on colliding bodies(both of them don't even bleed once pg13 allows blood to an extent I believe ) , superman's limited moveset leading to unimpressive choreography and ofcourse the pacing that makes me say that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-31-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Goku thought wedding was a food as a kid after only recently meeting a human besides Gohan. As an adult with Nozawa's voice and all that, he's very much a Lost Boy. The MJ thing is a funnier comparison when I think of it given Super Sonic and the music in Sonic 3.

The lack of bleeding and other damage is because Kryptonians have invulnerability. a lot of people tend to mistake it for "power level" but his powers are separate abilities.

Astonishing Member

The comparison to the Waynes works if you believe he wouldn't be Superman without the Kents dying, sure.

I mean in the sense that the death of the Waynes is the general motivation for Bruce becoming Batman and is what keeps him on target. For Superman he has the general injustice of the world as a motivation point but the inclusion of this farm stuff has tried to twist the character so that behind all of the Superman stuff is a guy that wants to go back to the farm and be "normal" and the writers are driven to get him back there. I think a lot of modern writing struggles to not see the world through the Batman tilt and doesn't believe a guy like Superman would have that much dedication without a backstory full of misery.

But "keep bringing back" and "can't compete" are two statements at odds with each other.
    I mean it's pretty undeniable imo that old Superman pretty much created what we know as Superheroes today. Meanwhile modern Superman is more like a novelty, people keep trying to keep him in that farmboy phase Byrne/Donner came up with but it's clear no one else wants that spot. It's more like he's put there so as to provide contrast for the things people actually find admirable or desirable. Hell they just brought back Superman's adoptive parents for the umpteenth time just as they killed off Alfred and Sam Lane. People these days follow in Batman's footsteps but funny enough Batman is just following in Superman's footsteps, just not the one of today.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post

I also feel the rural backstory is trapping him. A lot of people have moved and grown up on cities. Most of the population is there, especially immigrants. I love his humble origins but other superheroes have humble origins in the cities too. This idealistic farm life has been trapped in the times of his creation. The rural environment has changed. I have talked with people who left their rural origins and they have no intention of going back. They described the people as backwards, sexist, racist, etc. The rampant drug problem. And how education is badly funded and taught. It's not always true but I heard it a lot. Most people don't view farm life as the most pure way to live one's life or raise a family.

The lack of bleeding and other damage is because Kryptonians have invulnerability. a lot of people tend to mistake it for "power level" but his powers are separate abilities.
    Near Invulnerability doesn't mean, They should get hurt. Even steel can get broken. The punching not having an effect, yet the both of em doing it repeatedly that to without much variations for that long can be exhausting.

(near) invulnerability is the ability to resist harm. Which means it's not about power level: a Kryptonian punching a Kryptonian doesn't have the same effect of a human punching a human. Thor, WW, and Hulk don't have the same ability even at roughly the same strength, so we see them handle firepower differently.

I'm sure the amount of action did have many eyes glaze over, but growing up with DBZ and the likes I have a hard time getting my fill.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by qwazer07 View Post
    I also feel the rural backstory is trapping him. A lot of people have moved and grown up on cities. Most of the population is there, especially immigrants. I love his humble origins but other superheroes have humble origins in the cities too. This idealistic farm life has been trapped in the times of his creation. The rural environment has changed. I have talked with people who left their rural origins and they have no intention of going back. They described the people as backwards, sexist, racist, etc. The rampant drug problem. And how education is badly funded and taught. It's not always true but I heard it a lot. Most people don't view farm life as the most pure way to live one's life or raise a family.
    I don't really need a total trashing of rural American's, its not even what I want. I just want a more nuanced approach compared to what we have. I think it's interesting and important that Clark never needed to be touched by tragedy to understand the world was a messed up place. Even in the beginning it's stated that the concept of becoming Superman predated the death of the Kents, says to me he was already aware of a lot of the strife and suffering in the world. The problems plaguing rural America could be the kind of subject matter you could touch on in the formative years for a young Kal-El. I think Miller attempted this to varying degrees of success in Year One. Conduit could be a good *ahem* conduit for these kinds of stories.

On the other hand I think origin stories don't really fit a character like Superman. Origin stories are imo a thing for people who are dependent on a specific event or set of events to explain why they are the person they are today. When Superman attempts to do this it never really pops. Better to go with the idea that more or less Clark always had a adventurous and altruistic nature to him that was supported by the Kents and after a childhood of adventures it only made sense to do it as an adult.
    Last edited by The World; 05-31-2020 at 10:05 AM.

(near) invulnerability is the ability to resist harm. Which means it's not about power level: a Kryptonian punching a Kryptonian doesn't have the same effect of a human punching a human. Thor, WW, and Hulk don't have the same ability even at roughly the same strength, so we see them handle firepower differently.

I'm sure the amount of action did have many eyes glaze over, but growing up with DBZ and the likes I have a hard time getting my fill.
    When did i say it needed to be about powerlevel? Dbz guys get beat up,badly.Violence has an impact there. Thor got roughened up in his movies. Hulk bleeds as well, in green. See, blood helps audiences feel the impact of attacks being effective. Here there was none. Audience don't get any visual ques of that. Resisting something doesn't mean you are impervious to it. Moreover, if zod is resistant to physical harm. Superman punching with physical for minutes on out was of no point. So, really a boring fight.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-31-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Supposedly the upcoming CW show, will deal with how rural towns like Smallville are coping with the changing times. Like local shops going out of business. And Super Wal-mart type stores taking over. Lots of unemployment and other things.

Also Clark will be be part of a massive lay off of the Daily Planet, as it gets consolidated by Morgan Edge. Lois will continue to be a journalist for the Planet but work remotely from home.

With everything with the world today plus now with the pandemic, a lot of that is relatable.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 05-31-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Supposedly the upcoming CW show, will deal with how rural towns like Smallville are coping with the changing times. Like local shops going out of business. And Super Wal-mart type stores taking over. Lots of unemployment and other things.

Also Clark will be be part of a massive lay off of the Daily Planet, as it gets consolidated by Morgan Edge. Lois will continue to be a journalist for the Planet but work remotely from home.

With everything with the world today plus now with the pandemic, a lot of that is relatable.

Yeah when I originally heard about the show I wrote it off because it sounded very pedestrian from the original synopsis. But the leaks surrounding it made me reserve my judgement on it to where I'm more neutral. We'll see if it's any good.