Page 175 of 233 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 3484
    BANNED

A DC, the only specific characters you can depend on to be omnipresent with high profiles are Clark, Bruce, and Diana...after them, maaaaaaybe Aquaman, too. Green Lantern and Flash will usually have big roles in the universe and publishing line, but you can never really be sure who Green Lantern and Flash will be. It varies (sometimes a lot) depending on the time and what incarnation of the universe you're watching. I don't think I like that idea, because I've seen all the disappointment, confusion, and fighting it leads to, but for better or worse, that's the way the company has set things up. It's a very risky gambit to put your investment eggs in a specific GL because they can be, and probably will be, sidelined at some time or another...sometimes for indefinite periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Really????

A solo series in New 52 52 issues
    Optional to count Hal Jordan & TGLC 50 issues
    2 seasons of a solo series
    3 (Dark Stars)

2011-2020
    79 solo issues
    129 If we count Hal & TGLC

How is he marginalized?? There are fans who would love to see their favorite get that.
    The whole "he still gets more attention than others" is not a real argument. I did acknowledge he's been getting attention, but not as much as he did post Rebirth when Johns was on the book and when they thought the movie was going to be big. He's a founding member of the JLA and along with Flash ushered in the silver age, but he's considered easily replaced in the JL, even when the rest of the lineup are founding members and has spent almost all of the last ten years in space. So in that sense and in my opinion, he's been set off to the side considering his stature and history. I'm not going to go into the examples in other media where he's being disrepected which adds to this feeling. And as a big Hal fan, I'll always hope to see him in more, that's all. And I was replying to someone else being unhappy. I was trying to reassure them that Hal's still around and doing stuff and that there's no reason to turn this into the John Stewart thread where it's 98% sour grapes all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    A DC, the only specific characters you can depend on to be omnipresent with high profiles are Clark, Bruce, and Diana...after them, maaaaaaybe Aquaman, too. Green Lantern and Flash will usually have big roles in the universe and publishing line, but you can never really be sure who Green Lantern and Flash will be. It varies (sometimes a lot) depending on the time and what incarnation of the universe you're watching. I don't think I like that idea, because I've seen all the disappointment, confusion, and fighting it leads to, but for better or worse, that's the way the company has set things up. It's a very risky gambit to put your investment eggs in a specific GL because they can be, and probably will be, sidelined at some time or another...sometimes for indefinite periods of time.
    I think CW and DCEU has kind of solidified Barry as the Flash for mainstream audiences. I know some say the DCAU JL for Wally but honestly his civilian identity came up like once in the show as kind of a joke so I wouldn’t say that’s a strong case for him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I think CW and DCEU has kind of solidified Barry as the Flash for mainstream audiences. I know some say the DCAU JL for Wally but honestly his civilian identity came up like once in the show as kind of a joke so I wouldn’t say that’s a strong case for him.
    Yes, Barry has the CW show, and that counts for something. Regarding the DCEU, he has no hit to his name over there, so audiences probably don't care specifically about Barry Allen in regards to that.

Barry may be on top now, but I don't think that discounts him from being phased out or replaced if people in influential positions are so inclined. Wally is a very beloved character with a strong fanbase of comics readers and people who loved him on shows like Justice League and Young Justice. What would happen if, by chance, one of them happened into an influential role at DC Comics? I don't know, but something could happen. Barry is currently the lead Flash character because of Geoff Johns, Ethan Van Sciver, and Dan DiDio. Conversely, DC, at some point in time, could decide that Barry is too straight and white and come up with a bilingual Cambodian transvestite gay man/woman to be The Flash.

I guess you could say the same thing could happen to Clark, Bruce, and Diana, but there's just no precedent for DC replacing those characters long term, and I think it's that way because they feel it would be a bad idea to do so. It seems Flashes and Green Lanterns haven't ever been awarded that status, probably because there was a precedent set many decades ago that they can be different people.

Yeah, and sometimes even if you do get Barry he might act like Wally in all but name.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, and sometimes even if you do get Barry he might act like Wally in all but name.
    Nature of adaptations of superheroes, especially ones with with multiple claimants. Kyle, and John to a lesser degree, had Hal-elements crafted on to them in the DCAU.

What you’re seeing now with Hal is a culmination of two things:
    1. There’s a big push for diversity, and attempts to make new diverse heroes flop. Nobody cared about the New Age of Heroes despite a couple of them like Silencer and Sideways being cool. So that means if you want more diversity you either have to raceswap existing characters like they’ve done with DCEU Hawkman or Aquaman, or create legacies like they’ve done with GL, Flash, Superman, WW, Batman, etc.
    2. Millennials are starting to get into leadership positions at DC (and elsewhere). Millennials grew up with Hal evil/dead, Kyle as the main GL in the comics and John Stewart as the main GL on the cartoon which was a lot of kids first exposure to DC. So Hal isn’t the default GL in their eyes. Stewart will probably get more of a push coming, and I’m honestly looking forward to it, he’s been languishing on the sidelines for too long imo.

However you guys don’t need to be concerned. I was born in the late 90s which means I’m either one of the last millennials or first of the Gen Zers depending on who you ask lol. John Stewart was *my* first GL because I grew up with the cartoon, but Johns GL run was the first comic run I ever read start to finish, and thus I consider Hal and John to both be my favorites. I love ‘em both. Later Gen Z’s like my siblings though? Their favorite GL is Hal. They didn’t grow up with the DCAU. They grew up seeing Hal as the main guy in the comics, in the animated movies, in the cartoon, in the Injustice games. They were raised on Johns and when Gen Z starts to replace millennials, you’ll see Hal get another push. And aside from all that, Johns is still involved with outside media GL, there’s no way he’ll let them pass over Hal unless Fischer gets him fired which seems unlikely. So I wouldn’t be worried. Hell if the rumors about Waid taking over GL after Morrison are true, Hal will almost certainly still be the star in the comics.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've said it before, if Hal is getting sidelined for a bit we have worse notes to go out on than Morrison's TGL. As weird as the second season is getting, at least there is a lot of respect for Hal himself on display. It's a better note than ET.

As long as I get the run in trade, I will be content for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Really????

A solo series in New 52 52 issues
    Optional to count Hal Jordan & TGLC 50 issues
    2 seasons of a solo series
    3 (Dark Stars)

2011-2020
    79 solo issues
    129 If we count Hal & TGLC

How is he marginalized?? There are fans who would love to see their favorite get that.
    This is the Hal Jordan appreciation thread. Of course people here are primarily going to be concerned with his content and appearances.

We don't need to be told other characters and fans can get it worse. There is always someone worse off than you somewhere. But there is only so much mental energy a person can expend being concerned about fictional characters, naturally they are going to lean towards their favorites.

Is very likely that Hal is going to be more sideline in the near future. The truth is, GL is one of the only franchises where DC can created diversity in a quick and efficient way, so is where they will do it, and Hal is still a white man.

But, I doubt alot that it will be a main GL in the future, not like it was before, the HBO Max show proves it, going forward DC will, if they are smart, make the franchise an ensemble, so Hal will probably still be around. And at least in the comics, the choice on what character is used will fall on the writer.

I'll give whatever comes next a shot, but not gonna lie, Hal is my Green Lantern. I did grow up with John in the JL cartoon and thought he was cool but thanks to my school libraries I was able to read Hal in the comics.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I'll give whatever comes next a shot, but not gonna lie, Hal is my Green Lantern. I did grow up with John in the JL cartoon and thought he was cool but thanks to my school libraries I was able to read Hal in the comics.
    Yeah, for the most part between the Johns run, Earth One, and Morrison I'd be content with what I have on my shelf at the moment if another GL where to take the steering wheel or a while. Not saying it's impossible but I doubt another Emerald Twilight is in the cards.

Plus it gives me a reason to start getting old Silver and Bronze age GL collections.

Yeah, for the most part between the Johns run, Earth One, and Morrison I'd be content with what I have on my shelf at the moment if another GL where to take the steering wheel or a while. Not saying it's impossible but I doubt another Emerald Twilight is in the cards.

Plus it gives me a reason to start getting old Silver and Bronze age GL collections.
    I'm planning on doing that too, just can't decide which character to start with: Superman (GA too), Flash, or Green Lantern. Basically, I want to convert one of my rooms into a library.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Incredible Member

Green Lantern is not gonna hold as a top-tier name like Superman or Batman if it doesn’t have a renowned face. Of course DC can make it a ensemble and push whoever provides diversity as they want. But I hope they are in their clear mind and understand the consequences including the shrinkage of its commercial value. It’s up to them where the GL franchise will go. It has the potential to rank among the best and it can be just a mediocre group of unmemorable characters.
    BTW, I honestly think it’s Geoff Johns who picked those characters featuring in the HBO Max show.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 10-17-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Green Lantern is not gonna hold as a top-tier name like Superman or Batman if it doesn’t have a renowned face. Of course DC can make it a ensemble and push whoever provides diversity as they want. But I hope they are in their clear mind and understand the consequences including the shrinkage of its commercial value. It’s up to them where the GL franchise will go. It has the potential to rank among the best and it can be just a mediocre group of unmemorable characters.
    BTW, I honestly think it’s Geoff Johns who picked those characters featuring in the HBO Max show.
    Jessica and Simon definitely imply some Johns influence since they're his creations. And, y'know, Sinestro .

I don't think the GL franchise will ever have an undisputed lead character. The fandom is too divided.