Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Give mutants regular origins

It’s known that Stan Lee originally came up with mutants, so that he wouldn’t have to put so much thought into origin stories. “How do they have powers?” “They just do!”

If Lee, Kirby, and whoever didn’t come up with the concept of mutants, what origin stories would they have had?

For the O5, here’s what I’ve come up with:

Cyclops: His father was space mercenary and his mother was an alien. The plane crash that his family apparently died in was actually a space ship. The injury he got from the crash prevents him from shutting off his eye beams.

Angel: Warren was sick as a boy, so his mother’s prayers caused an angel to take pity on him and make him a pseudo-angel.

Beast: Being raised near a radiation plant caused him to develop unnaturally large limbs.

Marvel Girl: Jean was caught in a strange lightstorm(which will later be identified as the Phoenix Force) which raises her mental acuity to the point where she develops psychic powers.

Really nothing much has been changed. I just thought that it’d be a fun concept.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It’s known that Stan Lee originally came up with mutants, so that he wouldn’t have to put so much thought into origin stories. “How do they have powers?” “They just do!”

If Lee, Kirby, and whoever didn’t come up with the concept of mutants, what origin stories would they have had?

For the O5, here’s what I’ve come up with:

Cyclops: His father was space mercenary and his mother was an alien. The plane crash that his family apparently died in was actually a space ship. The injury he got from the crash prevents him from shutting off his eye beams.

Angel: Warren was sick as a boy, so his mother’s prayers caused an angel to take pity on him and make him a pseudo-angel.

Beast: Being raised near a radiation plant caused him to develop unnaturally large limbs.

Marvel Girl: Jean was caught in a strange lightstorm(which will later be identified as the Phoenix Force) which raises her mental acuity to the point where she develops psychic powers.

Really nothing much has been changed. I just thought that it’d be a fun concept.
    That kind of defeats the entire identity of being mutant in the first place though doesn't it? What makes mutants unique is that they're born with these powers, a fact that links directly with how they are perceived by the rest of society and the mutant metaphor in general. Besides most mutant do have an origin story but they tend to be more focused on how their powers manifested rather than how they were created in the first place.

scott summers is a street orphan who is kidnapped by AIM to use a visor that allows the user to view into a variety of different dimensions

scott is the 74th homeless child this experiment has been done with because they keep having fatal seizures after a few hours

during scott's session, the new dimension he looks at causes him to go mad, remove his visor, run away from AIM, and cut out his eyes with a shard of broken glass

when aim finds him to silence him, his eyes have been replaced with crimson voids that project uncontrollable red tendrils of force that decimate everything around him

scrambling around as he obliterates everything, scott trips over the experimental visor that he then puts on again, now allowing him to contain his energy, but preventing him from seeing anything but red shapes of different shades dependent on an object's temperature

leaving AIM in tatters, scotty boy runs away, his vision impaired, but capable of wiping out everything around him
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Scott has a very detailed movie-length origin

Extraordinary Member

Wasn't Wolverine supposed to be a High Evolutionary evolved wolverine??

Nightcrawler is the son of a demon already so just make him that.

Angel got bitten by a radioactive pigeon.

Magik was a natural disciple of Dr. Strange after he rescued her from limbo.

Wolverine would be easy; he was just a normal guy experimented on and given powers and the adamatium through Weapon X (in fact, that was more or less the explanation from Ultimate).

Characters connected to him in some way or another (X-23 and her sister clones, Deadpool, Deathstrike), could probably have their origin stories more or less the same was as they did in the comics with that background.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

xavier is white
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Jean is the reincarnation of a naked fire Amazon princess from space.
    "Cable was right!"

Ooof this is head-work!! so Stan the man got it right

But I'll give a bash

Rogue is unaware that she is a descendant of Selene whose origin herself is that of a succubus, the Queen of a lineage of Succubi to be precise.

Rogue is a princess of Succubi and must someday take her place on the throne if she is ever to escape the decent through the underworlds that succubi are fated, can she gather allies within the X-Men and should she? Gambit and Nightcrawler themselves are incubi of other lineages, are they friends or foes?

Nah, I like the evolutionary mutations stuff, easier, cleaner!

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Nightcrawler is the son of a demon already so just make him that.
    Azazel isn't a demon, hes a mutant who thinks hes a demon because thats how people in the Biblical days saw people who had mutations.

Storm - Daughter of a sorceress and an African weather god.

Phoenix - A bird from the sun who possesses a girl to do battle with its rival, a dragon from the moon who possesses a woman named Heather Douglas.

Professor X - A professor who has the Mind Gem.

Angel - An angel from Heven who was given to Odin for a peace offering but he rejected it and threw it to Earth.

Iceman - Johnny Storm's friend who snucked on board the spaceship and was changed by the cosmic radiation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Wasn't Wolverine supposed to be a High Evolutionary evolved wolverine??
    That might’ve been just a rumor.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Phoenix - A bird from the sun who possesses a girl to do battle with its rival, a dragon from the moon who possesses a woman named Heather Douglas.
    Ooh, I like that one!

Fantastic Member

I like that idea of Rogue being tied to Selene. Makes a lot of sense

I always thought of maybe a supernatural origin for Chamber, his rich British aristocrat family who are cultists performed a ritual to give him powers as a teen and it all went very wrong.

or he's a dead teen who was dug up and experimented on and got reanimated as an energy powered zombie.