Page 107 of 167 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2505
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    It's almost a written rule at Marvel.

Tony Stark must be met with disrespect, ridicule and some modicum of hatred if he appears outside of his own comic.

He cannot written as a likeable person.
    I think he also suffers because of The Strip Club Dichotomy.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I think he also suffers because of The Strip Club Dichotomy.
    What’s the strip club dichotomy?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    What’s the strip club dichotomy?
    THE STRIP CLUB DICHOTOMY is my description of the well documented phenomenon that only female super heroes can enjoy going to strip clubs. Usually, but not exclusively, for Bachelorette Parties. Their male counterparts are not allowed to go to such clubs, and must feel shame and guilt at the very prospect.

See the parties for Black Canary, Margot in Incredible Hulk, and more recently Alicia in Fantastic Four for notable examples.

The Dichotomy seems to spring from a perspective that men objectifying women is gross, but women objectifying men is empowering. Equality by discrimination, effectively.

In Tony’s case I would say the underlying thinking of this phenomenon extends to the female characters being able to constantly disrespect him in a manner that would be seen as rampant misogyny were any male character to treat a female character in kind.
    Last edited by brettc1; 08-18-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

THE STRIP CLUB DICHOTOMY is my description of the well documented phenomenon that only female super heroes can enjoy going to strip clubs. Usually, but not exclusively, for Bachelorette Parties. Their male counterparts are not allowed to go to such clubs, and must feel shame and guilt at the very prospect.

See the parties for Black Canary, Margot in Incredible Hulk, and more recently Alicia in Fantastic Four for notable examples.

The Dichotomy seems to spring from a perspective that men objectifying women is gross, but women objectifying men is empowering. Equality by discrimination, effectively.

In Tony’s case I would say the underlying thinking of this phenomenon extends to the female characters being able to constantly disrespect him in a manner that would be seen as rampant misogyny were any male character to treat a female character in kind.
    Well they've done an excellent job of making Tony a whipping boy.

Thanks for the explanation.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

But why is he getting the shitty treatment? This is why I prefer Iron Man pre-RDJ.

Tony Stark used to possess BDE, now it’s all foolery.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    But why is he getting the shitty treatment? This is why I prefer Iron Man pre-RDJ.

Tony Stark used to possess BDE, now it’s all foolery.
    If I had to speculate, I would say one reason could be that Tony’s notoriety as someone who enjoys having sex with women has transformed into the perception that he is something of a misogynist.

He was actually “slut-shamed” by a group of female heroes a while back.

If I had to speculate, I would say one reason could be that Tony’s notoriety as someone who enjoys having sex with women has transformed into the perception that he is something of a misogynist.

But how is enjoying sex = misogyny? I see no correlation.

Damn, I feel sorry for my boy Tony.

Yeah I remember that, totally unnecessary.

That's because it's Tony. Everything he does is made to look sleazy.

It doesn't matter what is going on in his own book, in other books he's going to get a black eye.

Extraordinary Member

Again, The Strip Club Dichotomy. A male character who has sex with multiple consenting female partners is sleazy and disrespectful to women.

Now to be fair, this affects women as well, but the difference is people will come to the defence of a female character being slut shamed. Tony being s guy though, female characters are allowed to label him a man-slut at will, no matter how many times he’s saved the world from the Mandarin.

he doesn't even seem to date any more. he has a relationship with Jan. last time i remember seeing him with a random woman was several runs back. i think Pepper gave him a look because he was with another woman. i just remember it being Larocca art.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he doesn't even seem to date any more. he has a relationship with Jan. last time i remember seeing him with a random woman was several runs back. i think Pepper gave him a look because he was with another woman. i just remember it being Larocca art.
    That was during Fraction. Maria Hill was the "other" woman.

Except for Dave and Bob's second-run, which only lasted, what was it? Two, three years? For two or three years out of fifty, Stark was portrayed as a playboy. The rest of the time he's been a serial monogamist. He gets a girlfriend, they are monogamous for a long time, she dies or they break up. In the Silver Age, he spent most of his spare time pining for Pepper, and lamenting that he couldn't love her because he was always on the verge of dying from his heart injury.

The idea that Stark is a playboy is one of those ideas that has stuck with him with very little backing. It's generally a problem with the less popular characters that they get utterly defined by anything about them that differs from the bog-standard hero templete, and that thing gets viewed in the worst light possible by fans of other characters.

In Gillens run he had a few different women and couldn’t even remember what each did for a living.