Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I just don't see Disney putting a mainline X-Men movie on streaming. New Mutants, being a spinoff project, I could totally see, but not Dark Phoenix.

In regards to the budget and making money back, Apocalypse cost around $200M to make, and they recouped that cost. Not by a huge amount, but they did. And that was with three weeks worth of mediocre-to-bad reviews being released beforehand. If this movie's good and gets good word of mouth, it'll easily beat Apocalypse and make its money back. I also think it's gonna be pretty damn good, too.

If I was Disney, I will give more attention to the new mutants spin off project, Something to throw off DC The Joker or can anyone think of any other current comic movie at the present moment that does not look like another generic comic movie. New Mutants and The Joker are the only films that want to try something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    If I was Disney, I will give more attention to the new mutants spin off project, Something to throw off DC The Joker or can anyone think of any other current comic movie at the present moment that does not look like another generic comic movie. New Mutants and The Joker are the only films that want to try something new.
    The Joker Film is a Joker origin story set in the 80's new its basically Gotham in Concept. New Mutants looks like a mess which doesn't even know what kind of film it wants to be or what rating it wants and given it was moved a year and half from its original release date pretty much confirms its a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Is it though? Apart from Deadpool, they don't exactly set box office on fire.
    Exactly even the origin trilogy never did the numbers of Raimi's Spider-Man which was the top domestic film of 2002 beating LOTRs, Episode 2, and the first Harry Potter film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The Joker Film is a Joker origin story set in the 80's new its basically Gotham in Concept. New Mutants looks like a mess which doesn't even know what kind of film it wants to be or what rating it wants and given it was moved a year and half from its original release date pretty much confirms its a mess.
    Pulleeze New Mutants does not look like a mess. I have more faith in NW than Dark Phoenix. The only thing messy about new mutants will be if the film should succeed and we get stuck after with generic X-Men movies from Disney when we could be getting new mutants sequels, something new.

Is it though? Apart from Deadpool, they don't exactly set box office on fire.
    x men apocalypse did over 500 Mill Logan did over 600 Mill DOFP did over 700 mill ok it's not MCU numbers but still pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    x men apocalypse did over 500 Mill Logan did over 600 Mill DOFP did over 700 mill ok it's not MCU numbers but still pretty good.
    You just mentioned their top 3 grossers. See the problem?

You just mentioned their top 3 grossers. See the problem?
    Not really a problem my whole point is to show how much money they can make so selling it off to Netflix or Hulu wouldn't be in there best deal.
    Last edited by choptop; 10-24-2018 at 11:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Exactly even the origin trilogy never did the numbers of Raimi's Spider-Man which was the top domestic film of 2002 beating LOTRs, Episode 2, and the first Harry Potter film.
    There was a long-time X-poster on the X-threads who would adamantly defend the first two X-Men films and say it made huge box office money. He had some twisted logic and would start mentioning about inflation and how those two films are the equivalent to MCU blockbusters or something like that.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    There was a long-time X-poster on the X-threads who would adamantly defend the first two X-Men films and say it made huge box office money. He had some twisted logic and would start mentioning about inflation and how those two films are the equivalent to MCU blockbusters or something like that.
    Well X2 and X3 did sell around as much tickets as Spider-Man: Homecoming according to Box Office Mojos.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres...st_yr=1&p=.htm

Huge box office, I don't see that compared to the cinematic MCU movies. Defending the first two X-Men movies as finer wines to MCU soda Blockbusters, that is very common.Very frustrating to watch a film with all the potential as Black Panther but can't just bring the depth of X-Men 2. No amount of money can make up for such lost potential. I rather take an excellent film in X2 to an average movie to Black Panther or worse, a 96% CGI film with Infinity War that has none of the factors of what made X2 such a blessing to comic movies.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 10-25-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    For movies not distributed by Walt Disney, those are good numbers, there is something else. DOFP + LOGAN. These movies won't happen ever again with the X-Men title attached to it. If it is true Dark Phoenix is the very first Disney X-Men movie and part of the influence is from Thor Ragnarok, We may be getting a worse movie to X-Men Apocalypse for a movie titled Dark Phoenix.

X-Men 2000 while an important moment in the evolution of Comic book films it has aged poorly its good for its time but like Blade you can tell when it was made and not for good reasons and X2 is good that's it nothing amazing.

The whole good for not being released by Disney argument doesn't work when films like Sony's Spider-Man, WB's Dark Knight Films, LOTRs, Harry Potter, Pre Disney Star Wars Prequels, and even as much as I disliked them Bay's Transformers all out performed them. So you don't need Disney's label to be a massive hit the X-Men film franchises was a success but never the success it should had been.

Lets be clear I don't view the MCU as amazing films just fun movies with characters I love as I do many of my favorite genre films and franchises. But like many of my favorite franchises and genre films I do watch them more than many other superhero films because their fun. I'll take a Thor Ragnarok or even Suicide Squad over X-Men Apocalypse any day because they're fun heck my favorite team X-Men film is X-Men First Class because it was the most fun of the main X-Men films.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Huge box office, I don't see that compared to the cinematic MCU movies. Defending the first two X-Men movies as finer wines to MCU soda Blockbusters, that is very common.Very frustrating to watch a film with all the potential as Black Panther but can't just bring the depth of X-Men 2. No amount of money can make up for such lost potential. I rather take an excellent film in X2 to an average movie to Black Panther or worse, a 96% CGI film with Infinity War that has none of the factors of what made X2 such a blessing to comic movies.

I couldn't care less for X2. Liked it at the time but the ship has sailed a long time ago for me on that film. When I think of X2 I imagine the filmmakers hated the thought to use Colossus because he would have killed their movie budget. The Fox franchise definitely liked saving money on action scenes/special effects.

I couldn't care less for X2. Liked it at the time but the ship has sailed a long time ago for me on that film. When I think of X2 I imagine the filmmakers hated the thought to use Colossus because he would have killed their movie budget. The Fox franchise definitely liked saving money on action scenes/special effects.
    At the moment I'm watching X-men: The last stand. I could tell why MCU is kicking ass. This movie has no real direction and how they made juggernaut look like someone who went to a scrap yard and put together junk. Half the actors fit the whole, while the subpar ones were being carried by the good ones.

On another note. I am looking to buy the X-Men 101 First phoenix. You think the value for it for hold, decline, or go up after the movie? I seen a big push for it this year.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThorUnleashed View Post
    At the moment I'm watching X-men: The last stand. I could tell why MCU is kicking ass. This movie has no real direction and how they made juggernaut look like someone who went to a scrap yard and put together junk. Half the actors fit the whole, while the subpar ones were being carried by the good ones.

On another note. I am looking to buy the X-Men 101 First phoenix. You think the value for it for hold, decline, or go up after the movie? I seen a big push for it this year.
    The movie has no direction because it was rushed.