Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    I think the Silver Age was 1956 (first Flash) to 1968 (comic original art pages went to 12 inches by 15 inches and TTA AND TOS ended with Sub-Mariner, Iron Man and Hulk and Cap getting their own books.) Bronze Age was 68 to 76 or so maybe the whole 70s. The 80s are just the 80s Servo.

I always felt Frank Miller was a bit overrated. Dennis O'Neill extremely overrated (famous in the early Bronze Age) Corben excellent....in the 70s, Wrightson excellent...in the 70s. Neil Gaiman...awesome writer...never heard of Joe Kirby. If by chance you mean Jack....awesome every decade.
    Jack Kirby i mean, i goofed up.

There was plenty of dreck in the '90s, particularly the first part of the decade, but the nice thing is the reaction to the dreck got us some really cool comics.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    There was plenty of dreck in the '90s, particularly the first part of the decade, but the nice thing is the reaction to the dreck got us some really cool comics.
    Like the ones i mentioned?

Ah, what's the matter? it wasn't an ExtreeeEEEEEME-Ly good era i admit (lol, get the joke?) but the gems i mentioned stand out. And you don't think that Rob dude was ExtreMMMMElY cool or what? he draws men who have hooters bigger than their girlfriends on their chests, LOL. and are you strong enough to handle a BFG like Duke Nukem would? lol. Im just doing some 90s comic jokes here.

Yet do you think DC movies are going back to the 90s?

Sure there are good comics in the 90s, because there were very talented creative teams working. But the 90s is the real point that comics suddenly became "big business" so everything was portrayed as "extreme" and everything was a huge event. Throw in the collector speculation and that gave birth to the foil covers and other gimmicks.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I have to admit, I love foil covers and ones with a hologram glued on, textured, with shapes cut out of them, gatefold... all of it.

Nothing's quite like discovering a cover is glow in the dark by having it sit on your floor one night, all glowy.

I'm glad that quintessential 90s comic, The Invisibles, has a gimmick cover on its omnibus, with a hidden silhouette o the characters that shows only when it catches the light. (And, I was disappointed when someone told me it also glowed in the dark, and... it does not.)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I could say that about any decade, including this one.

There's always a lot of stuff that's not going to interest one person. And, a lot that was hot at the time, but looks silly to us now.

But, the 90s gave us Busiek and Perez on Avengers, Jim Lee's Fantastic Four, Morrison's JLA, Alan Moore and Chris Claremont's WildCATs, The Invisibles, Sandman, The Enigma, TMNT Adventures, Slapstick, Savage Dragon, Marvels, Gunsmith Cats, Baker Street, Mark Waid's Flash, two amazing Doom Patrol runs, Ghost in the Shell, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Hokum and Hex, X/1999, Ellis' Stormwatch and Doom 2099, and so many other fantastic comics.
    Yeah, I agree with what you say here with a few differences in terms of the comics you mention but everything else I agree LOL.

I personally think the 90s wasn't that bad but hey different strokes and all that.

There was some really good stuff especially with writers like Kurt Busiek, Garth Ennis, Peter David, Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman, but there was a high percentage of dreck, and many of the superhero comics were mired in decades of backstory, and hadn't quite figured out modern storytelling.

It was one of the worst decades for Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four, to give examples, with some good material that would be overshadowed in any other decade.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The 90's were the best.
    BB

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It was one of the worst decades for Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four, to give examples, with some good material that would be overshadowed in any other decade.
    I'm not a huge Spidey fan, but the 90s stuff works better for me than the 80s. The Clone Saga. Funeral for an Octopus and his female replacement. The death of Aunt May.

And, I definitely prefer 90s to 80s FF. Walt Simonson, Jim Lee, Pacheco and Marin, Alan Davis... and I still enjoy the DeFalco/Ryan years, flaws and all, quite a bit.

The 80s' height in FF was John Byrne, and most of his run really doesn't thrill me. The weirdly defensive "Invisible Girl" interview. She-Hulk, emotionally-manipulatd slave in the mud being lusted over. Malice. A lot of stuff, really. Child-Sue in love with Reed who she'll marry some day.

And he was probably the best of their 80s writers or artists.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Sure there are good comics in the 90s, because there were very talented creative teams working. But the 90s is the real point that comics suddenly became "big business" so everything was portrayed as "extreme" and everything was a huge event. Throw in the collector speculation and that gave birth to the foil covers and other gimmicks.
    Yeh i remember the foil covers and cards and holographic covers.

Do you think Beavis and Butthead thought Liefled's art was "Kewl" if they read them? LOL.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

From Hell, Starman, Hitman, The Golden Age, Superboy by Kesel & Grummett, Batman by Moench & Jones, The Demon by Ennis & McCrea, Mad Love, Stormwatch by Ellis & Raney, Preacher, dOOM pATROL by Morrison & Case, Foolkiller by Steve Gerber & JJ Birch, Milestone (in particular Icon and Xombi), Sandman, Love & Rockets' "Wigwam Bam" & "Chester Square," Sandman Mystery Theatre, Marvels, Legends Of The Dark Knight, Unknown Soldier by Ennis & Plunkett, JLA by Morrison, Moore's Supreme, Robin by Chuck Dixon, Concrete's "Fragile Creature"/"Killer Smile"/"Think Like A Mountain" arcs, Superman when not electric *or* penned by Dan Jurgens...

A thankfully brief boyhood interest in Venom notwithstanding, I mostly just find the dreck of Liefeld/Mackie/Kavanaugh/DeFalco/etc. easy enough to ignore.

All-New Member

I love the 90s style, but I can see that if you weren't there for it... it might seem silly now. At the time, it was Extreme!
    Check out my work, it's very 90s inspired!
    www.batlanticstudios.com

Not everything from the 90's was bad, but compared to every other time period in my 30+ years of comic collecting, the early 90's were definitely the worst.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Ultimate Member

There was a lot of good stuff in the 90s and a lot of crap too.

Like any decade.

The '90s was when creator owned imprints started. Out of that we got Image, as it was then, but as it is now, Hellboy, Sin City at Dark Horse.

It's a better, stronger industry now because of the '90s.