Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Definitely looks like a gun there and I hope you're wrong about the gun that killed his parents angle, that level of morbidness has always seemed juvenile.
    Doesnt make sense to be a random gun.Didnt he in the comics melt down the gun and make a chest plate to put behind the Symbol to protect his heart. This isnt that different. Regardless from what we have heard and seen, I'm expecting a movie that focuses more on the Morbidness and insanity that makes Bruce Wayne Batman. But who knows maybe those Guns are trophies from some bad guy he stopped and he made them into his a Symbol who knows. But Joe chills gun seems the most likely option.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Robert Pattinson looks skinny. He did not buff up for the role. I like his Batman's look better than Ben Affleck. Christian Bale still looked the best.
    When you're in armor, it doesn't matter how buff you look under the suit.

Remember that it was arguably Micheal Keaton that really started the ball rolling with all of this.

Definitely looks like a gun there and I hope you're wrong about the gun that killed his parents angle, that level of morbidness has always seemed juvenile.
    You're talking about a guy running around in a cape dressed like a bat, so you're going to kina come off juvenile no matter what.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You're talking about a guy running around in a cape dressed like a bat, so you're going to kina come off juvenile no matter what.
    There are trappings of the genre that you just kind of have to be able to accept in order to enjoy a superhero movie and then there are plot points like Bruce keeping the bullets that killed his parents and using them like Chinese Stress Balls or melting down the gun and using it as armor that are done just to be "dark" and "edgy" and those are elements that are truly juvenile as they are symptoms of misunderstanding how to build drama in a story or how to add actual human pathos to a guy who runs around in a cape.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Doesnt make sense to be a random gun.Didnt he in the comics melt down the gun and make a chest plate to put behind the Symbol to protect his heart. This isnt that different. Regardless from what we have heard and seen, I'm expecting a movie that focuses more on the Morbidness and insanity that makes Bruce Wayne Batman. But who knows maybe those Guns are trophies from some bad guy he stopped and he made them into his a Symbol who knows. But Joe chills gun seems the most likely option.
    When writers push the insanity angle it tends to be when I drop the book. There's obsession on one hand which is interesting to play with and walk the line, but when you go into actually making it a real level psychosis it just reeks of trying to be an edgelord, about the only thing worse is giving Joker a super high body count to show just how more "dangerous" and "different" this new story is from previous ones. much

Is there any way to download the video? I'd like to take another look at it later on my TV (much bigger screen than my laptop) but don't have internet at home.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out on my own. And got it playing on a loop for now because I'm really digging that theme.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 02-14-2020 at 09:52 AM.

There are trappings of the genre that you just kind of have to be able to accept in order to enjoy a superhero movie and then there are plot points like Bruce keeping the bullets that killed his parents and using them like Chinese Stress Balls or melting down the gun and using it as armor that are done just to be "dark" and "edgy" and those are elements that are truly juvenile as they are symptoms of misunderstanding how to build drama in a story or how to add actual human pathos to a guy who runs around in a cape.
    When writers push the insanity angle it tends to be when I drop the book. There's obsession on one hand which is interesting to play with and walk the line, but when you go into actually making it a real level psychosis it just reeks of trying to be an edgelord, about the only thing worse is giving Joker a super high body count to show just how more "dangerous" and "different" this new story is from previous ones. much
    Agreed.

I really hope they aren't guns (especially not *the* gun). My interest in this flick would drop immensely if that was the case.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I figured Hell would freeze over before I'd see the day where my wife (she loves Pattinson) is more excited for a Batman Movie than myself

I really liked Affleck as Batman. That warehouse scene where he rescued Martha was so intense. His Batman was primal and brutal, but at the same time skilled and experienced. Genuinely surprised that weird version of the Joker is even alive in his universe.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 02-14-2020 at 10:13 AM.

I've always preferred a more lithe Batman. The body-builder doing ninja things never works for me. I think that's why I like Keaton and Bale in their first movies best.

I just hope Batman is more detective and less Murderman.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

A Batman on the youngish and leanish side works fine. That's what made Bale work as Bruce in The Dark Knight Trilogy, he was jacked but he was also thin and lithe unlike Affleck's Beast Mode take.

But to be honest...unless they are doing Clayface I have no interest in Matt Reeves' take on Batman. I think the character has become too overexposed and I have pretty much a clear idea of whatever I ever wanted out of Batman from the previous movies, animation, and games.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    A Batman on the youngish and leanish side works fine. That's what made Bale work as Bruce in The Dark Knight Trilogy, he was jacked but he was also thin and lithe unlike Affleck's Beast Mode take.

But to be honest...unless they are doing Clayface I have no interest in Matt Reeves' take on Batman. I think the character has become too overexposed and I have pretty much a clear idea of whatever I ever wanted out of Batman from the previous movies, animation, and games.
    I think the overexposure is what makes Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman challenging for directors. It forces them to have to reinvent the character while also retaining the core of the character. That is HARD. However, when a director does achieve success by their take of the character it changes expectations of what the character is and can be. Burton and Nolan did it and our perception and expectation of Batman after watching their films changed drastically. Hopefully Matt Reeves can do it with his take. He already changed our perception of Planet of the Apes.

Ultimate Member

I love Matt Reeves, so I'm very curious to see what he can do with this. He hasn't made a bad film yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I think the overexposure is what makes Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman challenging for directors.
    I don't think Superman and Wonder Woman have the same problem as Batman in terms of exposure.

In the case of Superman, everything is still frozen in a Reeve-Donner timewarp with that first movie determining and shaping how the rest of the followups, reboots, sequels should be like, preventing for instance a comics accurate version of Luthor (who is never shown building anything), Lois, the Fortress of Solitude, or other characters. We've never had Brainiac or Mxyzsptlk among others.

In the case of Wonder Woman it's even less than that, considering how much time had to pass before they got to give her her own solo movie with Patty Jenkins.

Whereas Batman has had multiple movies, multiple stories, and many different takes on a huge chunk of his rogues gallery. So on the whole I think we've got all the stories we ever wanted from Batman in some audio-visual version.
    -- From Jack Nicholson to Heath Ledger to Joaquin Phoenix to Mark Hamill, we've had all the Joker we will ever want or need.
    -- Catwoman has been done justice by Michelle Pfeiffer and Anne Hathaway not to mention Julie Newmar, Eartha Kitt, and others.
    -- Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy gave Batman an ending. The DCAU cartoons from BTAS to Batman Beyond to JLU Epilogue also gave Batman an ending. The Batman Arkham games also gave him an ending.
    -- Zack Snyder, bless him and curse him, did "The Batgod" and poisoned the well for it in BVSDOJ so that you won't be seeing Batman beating Superman or any TDKR version any time soon.

So what else is there to look forward to? Aside from doing a version where Bruce Wayne is born poor, or he's African-American or Asian-American, there's really not a lot of interest left in the story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    So what else is there to look forward to? Aside from doing a version where Bruce Wayne is born poor, or he's African-American or Asian-American, there's really not a lot of interest left in the story.
    One thing we haven't seen is him truly be an amazing detective. With the movie supposedly being based off of the Long Halloween storyline we may actually get that.

I'm getting a strong Neal Adams vibe.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 02-14-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest