Thread: Five vs One

Default Five vs One

Five from the Umbrella Academy vs One, tv versions. Does Five's greater skill and teleportation win this, or is One just too strong?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Five from the Umbrella Academy vs One, tv versions. Does Five's greater skill and teleportation win this, or is One just too strong?
    By One, do you mean Number One as in Luther? If weapons are allowed, Number Five. Hand to hand, in spite of that surprise low blow Five got in, a Luther expecting an attack in a fight is going to have better defense and only needs one hit.
    Power with Girl is better.

Swiss army nerd

The problem with Luther is that his power level is all over the place. Compare the hits we saw him shrug off in the opening scene of S2 to him being punched around by a normal human in a cage fight. Highest end Luther is likely just too durable, even if weapons are allowed, and only needs on blow, as Powerboy said. Low end Luther probably loses in both weapons and H2H fights.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Pretty much agree with that: Luther knows Five, knows how he fights and such. If this is an Arena match, hand to hand, he's going to take it. In the opening sequence for S2, he tanks some massive explosion with his back. His boxing career was mostly him pretending to get hurt until Ruby said "you can win now" whereupon he did in seconds. I'm leery on Five prior to the last episode having any way at all to hurt a prepared Luther in HtH, and the reverse is definitely not true.

Buuuuuuuut... Five, based on the end of S2E10, has ways to win even against a prepared Luther.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    The problem with Luther is that his power level is all over the place. Compare the hits we saw him shrug off in the opening scene of S2 to him being punched around by a normal human in a cage fight. Highest end Luther is likely just too durable, even if weapons are allowed, and only needs on blow, as Powerboy said. Low end Luther probably loses in both weapons and H2H fights.
    I think the Luther at the beginning of season 2 with what he shrugged off is inconsistent with everything else we see of him. He almost died in Season One from being riddled with bullets. Granted that was before his power-up but that opening scene of season 2 really stands alone for his durability showings.
    Power with Girl is better.

He's mostly written as a gorilla with the mind of a man. The opening scene thing was weird, like the special effects team thought he was a Ben Grimm level brick.