Page 18 of 59 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't DC already publishing Looney Tunes comics?
    Yes, but I'm talking about a reboot to the new model sheets. Instead of one book surrounded by adult super-heroes, perhaps a small line of semi regular one-shots like Dell Comics did with their Four Color series. You can't sell funny animal books in comic shops, but if you really want to go out to Walmart and Target currently popular characters is the way to go.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    The new Looney Tunes show is very popular. This might be a perfect time to bring back Bugs Bunny and friends. And I mean start from scratch, not reprint the recent stories.

Stargirl also looks to be perfect to sell to the general public. The comics from the 1940's to 1960's were all sold to the general public and are now very valuable collectors items. If comics are to survive, we probably need to move beyond the niche market. This might be the only way DC Comics can continue.
    Wasn't DC already publishing Looney Tunes comics?
    Don't forget Hanna-Barbera!

WB owns HB characters too. They've only half-done anything with Scooby Doo.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Going back a bit in the thread to when it was discussing how OGNs might be this pathway for lesser characters to get their own stories, it is true that DC is going to, and has already, started to put more time and money into new OGN stories, but over the last couple of years superhero GN and trade sales have really tanked.
    Trades and OGN's made and sold more in 2019 than floppies did, and saw....I forget the exact figure, but it was somewhere between 6 and 11% growth from 2018. And I'm pretty sure 2018 trade/OGN sales were better than 2017 as well?

I think it's less about "the OGN market is huge and thriving and full of life" and more that it's a market with obvious growth potential, where a bit of investment could end up pushing it's profitability up way higher than it is now. OGN's are also a much better product to produce, with fewer "moving parts" and easier deadlines and whatnot.

I assume they're approaching digital the same way, because digital sales have stalled out and stayed fairly stable for years, well below both floppies and trades. Looking at the current sales data, digital doesn't seem like a market worth investing in, but there's solid potential for real growth and the ability to reach a much wider audience, and certain web comic groups seem to be doing quite well, so I assume DC/AT&T is looking at that potential more than current sales figures.

And these are also markets where you can introduce a IP to an intended audience with an eye towards larger media adaptations like films and tv. If a, I dunno, Squirrel Girl OGN sells well with Scholastic, then that tells you that a animated SG cartoon movie might do well too.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    This is exactly what I was afraid of.

DC must own over 200,000 characters...at the very least.

Who's safe?
    The only characters that are truly safe are the big iconic heroes everyone on earth will recognize. Those are the only ones we *know* will survive this. After that? Anyone with a film or tv show likely has better odds of surviving than those who don't.

But on the bright side, the push into digital is going to require a lot of experimentation, and if DC pushes deeper into trades/OGN's that will too. This will encourage creators to try different characters in different styles and settings, so our beloved D-list heroes aren't necessarily down for the count.

And once the economy stabilizes and AT&T get their income statements balanced out, we'll likely see more comics come out, like we did after the 70's implosion and Marvel's stumbles in the 90's. So while we might lose sight of our favorite characters, odds are *most* of them will make it out the other side. We might just have to wait a while for things to settle down first.

Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    DC wants to sell OGN to a different audience, so they likely tried to give Gotham High and Catwoman books to stores. Why stores wouldn't want these books?
    Just to clarify; I'm the one quoted in your post here, but I'm not the one who said that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Justice League: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman The Flash (Barry), Aquaman, Green Lantern (most likely John or Jessica), Green Arrow, Black Canary, Black Lightning (due to his show), Hawkman, Hawkgirl. The first 6 are for sure sticking around, the others will likely be rotated in and out.

Suicide Squad: Harley Quinn, Amanda Waller, Deadshot, Boomerang are staying. Everyone else is roared in and out (Katana, El Diablo, Killer Croc, King Shark...etc).

Teen Titans: East. Robin (likely Dick, maybe Damian), Raven, Starfire, Cyborg, Beast Boy... maybe Blue Beetle, Bumblebee, Static and Terra as rotating members.

Bat family: Batman, Batgirl (Barbara), Robin (Dick or Damian)
    yeah, you've listed 30 characters we will see again.

30 out of how many thousands of characters? (Most who we may not see again.)

I think that proves my point.

Don't forget Hanna-Barbera!

WB owns HB characters too. They've only half-done anything with Scooby Doo.
    Yes!!!! My favorites were Huck and Yogi but Scooby would be an excellent choice!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Just to clarify; I'm the one quoted in your post here, but I'm not the one who said that.
    Yeah. I'm sorry about that. I will correct that.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Plus, I doubt they are big comic book people. Their perception of Batman may very well be the sixties TV show.
    Gods, I would really hope *somebody* would do their due diligence and recognize that comics haven't been solely for kids since the....60's I guess?

Seriously, it's not f*cking hard to do a little research into the industry you're about to tear apart and stitch back together. I hope the people at AT&T know better than to make assumptions.....but I feel like both AT&T and WB don't have a close working relationship with facts, sometimes.

Yeah. I'm sorry about that. I will correct that.
    Oh not a problem at all, I just wanted to point it out so nobody gets confused in their replies.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

There are other popular versions of the DC superheroes that might be sell-able to the general audience. Batman-1966 has to be a perfect fit. I think the current Shazam or even a more C.C. Beck looking version would also work well.

Trades and OGN's made and sold more in 2019 than floppies did, and saw....I forget the exact figure, but it was somewhere between 6 and 11% growth from 2018. And I'm pretty sure 2018 trade/OGN sales were better than 2017 as well?

I think it's less about "the OGN market is huge and thriving and full of life" and more that it's a market with obvious growth potential, where a bit of investment could end up pushing it's profitability up way higher than it is now. OGN's are also a much better product to produce, with fewer "moving parts" and easier deadlines and whatnot.

I assume they're approaching digital the same way, because digital sales have stalled out and stayed fairly stable for years, well below both floppies and trades. Looking at the current sales data, digital doesn't seem like a market worth investing in, but there's solid potential for real growth and the ability to reach a much wider audience, and certain web comic groups seem to be doing quite well, so I assume DC/AT&T is looking at that potential more than current sales figures.

And these are also markets where you can introduce a IP to an intended audience with an eye towards larger media adaptations like films and tv. If a, I dunno, Squirrel Girl OGN sells well with Scholastic, then that tells you that a animated SG cartoon movie might do well too.
    OGNs are a growing market, even manga is growing, but specifically superhero GNs from publishers like DC or Marvel aren't seeing that same type of growth. They are actually falling. It is all laid out in the Hibbs' bookscan article. He does a great job of breaking down all the numbers. Basically DC is down in sales and revenue from just a handful of years ago despite producing more books than back then. Their average dollar value per book is down to numbers around the 2010 or 2011 era.

Even Forbs had a good article about the decline of Superhero GN sales. Here is a quote from that article from 2019. "According to Bookscan data shared at the conference, kid-oriented comics and graphic novels account for a whopping 41% of sell-through at bookstores; manga is 28%. Superhero content is less than 10%, down 9.6% year-over-year."

Astonishing Member

Gods, I would really hope *somebody* would do their due diligence and recognize that comics haven't been solely for kids since the....60's I guess?

Seriously, it's not f*cking hard to do a little research into the industry you're about to tear apart and stitch back together. I hope the people at AT&T know better than to make assumptions.....but I feel like both AT&T and WB don't have a close working relationship with facts, sometimes.
    nope, sorry. they won't do that.

We research because we love this!

This is a business to them.

DC has about 100 golden-age villains they could revitalize...but I bet most who work at ATT/WB don't even know they exist (...or what the golden age of comic books was...).

BANNED

Does anyone have the full rundown on this? I arrived too late.

I wonder if they'll want to turn Action back into an anthology book with all the culling. Normally I'm not a fan of this idea. I've maintained the position for decades that its Superman's book. But with lots of characters no longer having a home, maybe its time to not be stubborn. They could do the same to Detective as well.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Funny thing is some of these 40+ year old jokers actually want comics to go to back to the "extremmmmmmmmeee!!!!" era of comics.

Yeah...that joyless, soulless era of comics.
    I'd ask why those types haven't been reading DC for the last few years, if that's what they really wanted?
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

BANNED

They need to copy Manga.

Extraordinary Member

yeah, you've listed 30 characters we will see again.

30 out of how many thousands of characters? (Most who we may not see again.)

I think that proves my point.
    DC does not care. The comic industry does not care. Publishers need to tell good stories. Quality products. Exciting stuff that gets people talking and coming back. If characters A, B and C play no role in that, good. People who would not buy the top tier books and only buy pet characters are not helping DC. If those people do not realize the dozen or so other publishers who are putting out titles that cover those bases, because they are not DC or Marvel, they are not helping the market at all. They are holding it back. Ideally western comics would move past the same old, same old and put out new characters for new times, but if they feel the need to preserve characters, as long as those characters are the most popular, than we need to support those books as long as they put top talent on them.