Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Great issue! I'm so glad too that it came back so soon. The writing and the art are still both on top, and we also had the chance to enjoy a wider scale of colors, with all the pages set in Latin America.

Just curious, did anyone of you also tried The Dying and The Dead? The three first issues were great and very promising and the book seems to be on good way to be published again and completed one day with 10 issues announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    That wasn't a criticism, just a fact. 1st arc ran 56 pages, this arc is running 40 pages. Price adjusted, obviously.

Hickman's talked about this before. Issues fluctuating in length/price depending on what that chapter needs, instead of filling a pre determined page count. This isn't exactly, that, but I like that idea.
    Just joshing you. I love the extra-sized issues myself.

Got to say, love everything about this book. Even the cover and paper stock used are super nice compared to some other floppies I've been getting.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    By the way, anyone else Google to see if that article from Miami Herald was fake or not?
    No, but the stuff about Potosi is sadly accurate. The actual name of the priest he quotes (I think the quote is fake, and that this guy is the basis) is Bartoleme de Las Casas. He wrote a book, not long after Columbus landed, about the terrible things going on in the Americas. That mine also truly did change the course of history, and allowed Spain and Europe to dominate much of the latter half of the second millenium.

I had actually hated on Hickman before for naming the Chinese city in East of West New Shanghai, because historically Shanghai was a foreign-established port and the Chinese wouldn't name their West Coast America city after a city established by Europeans (they'd probably name it New Beijing or New Xi'an instead, or make a new name). But here I have to deeply respect the history that he's weaving into the mythos. Very cool.

Also, many coups happened in Latin America in the 1970s and 1980s, and there was CIA involvement in several of those. That history is sadly plausible as well. Bravo Hickman.

BANNED

Also what comics would people recommend in a similar vein to BMM? I know about Fatale, and Hellblazer has similar runs (I'm reading Ennis's right now), but other suggestions are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by son of booyah View Post
    Also what comics would people recommend in a similar vein to BMM? I know about Fatale, and Hellblazer has similar runs (I'm reading Ennis's right now), but other suggestions are welcome.
    "Vein" as far as the supernatural aspect or the conspiracy aspect?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "Vein" as far as the supernatural aspect or the conspiracy aspect?
    Supernatural-tinged noir, more or less.

Just bought a copy. Can't wait to start reading. It looks amazing.
    Also I'm a sucker for amazing book cover designs.

I had actually hated on Hickman before for naming the Chinese city in East of West New Shanghai, because historically Shanghai was a foreign-established port and the Chinese wouldn't name their West Coast America city after a city established by Europeans (they'd probably name it New Beijing or New Xi'an instead, or make a new name).
    But isn't there a certain irony in the name. I doubt the significance of the name escaped Hickman. The very name is synonymous with colonialism.

Is it just me or is this book starting to make more sense all of a sudden?

Also I am beginning to wonder if the seemingly meaningless cypher might be cracked by rotating the symbols based upon the month they are spoken, using a numerology wheel and a 24 letter alphabet (or perhaps 28 if it is a lunar cycle). Needs more study.

P.S. Perhaps Hickman is a Neal Stephenson fan (as all right thinking people should be). This story seems to be covering similar ground to Cryptonomicon and The Baroque Cycle. Paradigm shifts in economics, encrypted secrets, the value of precious metals and land based money vs abstraction.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-19-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Spectacular Member

Hi I posted my thoughts on this comic and setting in another Posting on this forum before I knew there was already an forum for Black Monday Murders, First I always thought Wall Street was Faustian.

So the Setting is this all forms of Modern Wealth come from some type of Blood Magic, brings new meaning to the term about skycrapers how each floor is made on backs of Men.

LW

BANNED

Sorry, I'm just posting because I thought y'all would like my new avatar.

Spectacular Member

Back too the Comic setting, The First issue layout the setting the 1% verus the rest with the bit about One of Blood mages giving a lecture about creating a personal fortune.

LW

Spectacular Member

To understand this comic One has to to understand 19th Century Gilded Age America,

LW

Sorry, I'm just posting because I thought y'all would like my new avatar.
    Do not be sorry! I love it, son of booyah!

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Is it just me or is this book starting to make more sense all of a sudden?

Also I am beginning to wonder if the seemingly meaningless cypher might be cracked by rotating the symbols based upon the month they are spoken, using a numerology wheel and a 24 letter alphabet (or perhaps 28 if it is a lunar cycle). Needs more study.

P.S. Perhaps Hickman is a Neal Stephenson fan (as all right thinking people should be). This story seems to be covering similar ground to Cryptonomicon and The Baroque Cycle. Paradigm shifts in economics, encrypted secrets, the value of precious metals and land based money vs abstraction.
    A bit more sense probably.

About the rest of your post, feel free to share new discoveries. And thanks for the recommendations : Neal Stephenson? Summer is coming and I need books to read : I put it on the top of the list!