View Poll Results: When will Marvel Studios officially announce their first R Rated film.

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

20 55.56%
  • Before Year 2225

16 44.44%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You think Marvel rates it's own movies since they have their own separate guidelines?
    Appearantly Disney R-Rated is different than the other ones^^

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You think Marvel rates it's own movies since they have their own separate guidelines?
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly this. Marvel doesn’t rate its own movies, the MPAA does.

If Marvel is going to make an R-rated movie, there’s going to be stuff in there that makes rated R. Period.

So watching this scene from Spiderman 1, nothing in this scene is R to me. If Sony had made this R, it will be silly. Now if I was to looking at it from an MCU movie lense, this is an R movie, why? because one character is smoking a cigar.

MPAA allows characters to smoke cigars in pg 13 movies, yet MCU chose to ban that in any of their films because smoking cigars is too ''adult'' for them?

It sounds insane but this is the truth.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/b...isney-fox.html

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Probably yes since their pg 13 movies is different from the other ones as factually seen in Spiderman 1 and Spiderman Far From home, but come on we already know this. it has been discussed here on cbr,

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-days-of-fu...-hugh-jackman/
    X-Men: Days of Future Past Is Uncensored on Disney+, Says Hugh Jackman

Their one off Deadpool R will be worse because left to them, they never wanted to have r movies. this is just pure logic they will dumb down their r more than their pg compared to other studios.

LOL. I find it strange that while I am not the biggest MCU fan, never wanted them to get Deadpool. I know more about their movies MPAA and ratings code they set just for their own movies than some of their own fans. I find this ignorance too unrealistic to believe.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-12-2021 at 03:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    To kill a mockingbird isn’t a superhero comic. So it’s totally irrelevant here.
    its relevant, its not the genre that counts. there are many comic books that have used the n word or talked about rape.

Have you actually read Deadpool comics? And I'm saying this to be rude because outside of Duggar’s run and Deadpool MAX, vast majority of them don’t have any material that would take the movie into R-rated territory. Most explicit stuff happens off screen like a PG-13 movie.
    you can be rude but don't miss the point. What can be contained to pg 13 by a movie taking from comics is not the same for different studios. what you are doing is insisting Disney ratings is the same as others but it is not. this is not false.

The film makers made that decision and it was successful so good on them. But it’s totally false to suggest that most superhero comics have R-rated material. That’s not to say that some superhero comics don’t have R-rated material but those generally fall under the mature reader category or are indie titles.
    Many comic books like Deadpool, X-Men, Batman daredevil all will have r rating material by disney ratings standard, this is truth. did you ever read Bob Iger book about running Disney for over a decade? Iger said they had concerns about marvel before they purchased the company since marvel was too edgy. all that changed with time. You keep saying it false, but it is true,

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-ori...edgy-says-ceo/
    Disney originally passed on Marvel for being 'too edgy,' says CEO

The other words for edgy is usually r rating or anything that is not meant to be all that kid friendly

Seriously, this isn’t Reddit or YouTube, this is CBR and we all read comics here and we know for a fact that most superhero comics don’t have R-rated material. I’m not sure why you keep saying it when it’s quite clearly not the case and has never been the case. Like seriously, why not just move along from this talking point because Marvel is keeping Deadpool rated-R, so there's really no discussion about this to be had. Moreso when we don't even know what the content of the Deadpool movie will be.
    So what defines r rating material to you? someone has said cocaine sniffing counts as r rating in the movies. drug use exist is many comics including marvel comics and dc, so why does that get r rating in movies? the same for a person been an alcoholic, why is that in comics but not put in some movies like Iron Man 3 an MCU movie , however that can be in a pg 13 or r rated DC film based on comics that are not rated R.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-12-2021 at 03:31 AM.

Yea when they bought off all the critics they also bought they're own guidelines.

In all seriousness it feels like 50% of the threads here devolve into complete nonsense. Hmmmm wonder why

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea when they bought off all the critics they also bought they're own guidelines.

In all seriousness it feels like 50% of the threads here devolve into complete nonsense. Hmmmm wonder why
    Geez, I think maybe this is trying too had to dismiss disney own guidelines as nonsense when there numerous evidence I posted, Here is a better summary. LOL, the video makers even calls it crazy , other studios don't have this guidelines for their own pg 13 movies.
    Here is just another extra evidence

https://screenrant.com/disney-iron-m...-demon-bottle/
    Disney's Iron Man 3 Decision Completely Changed Tony Stark's MCU Story

Iron Man 3 had to be rewritten to fit a guideline code that Disney was comfortable with. And some still wonder how Iron Man 3 turned out to be a nonsense movie? the movie did not have a chance.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-12-2021 at 07:02 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    So watching this scene from Spiderman 1, nothing in this scene is R to me. If Sony had made this R, it will be silly. Now if I was to looking at it from an MCU movie lense, this is an R movie, why? because one character is smoking a cigar.

MPAA allows characters to smoke cigars in pg 13 movies, yet MCU chose to ban that in any of their films because smoking cigars is too ''adult'' for them?

Probably yes since their pg 13 movies is different from the other ones as factually seen in Spiderman 1 and Spiderman Far From home, but come on we already know this. it has been discussed here on cbr,

Their one off Deadpool R will be worse because left to them, they never wanted to have r movies. this is just pure logic they will dumb down their r more than their pg compared to other studios.

LOL. I find it strange that while I am not the biggest MCU fan, never wanted them to get Deadpool. I know more about their movies MPAA and ratings code they set just for their own movies than some of their own fans. I find this ignorance too unrealistic to believe.
    You know that there are other reasons to ban smoking than avoiding a rating?
    Second if they would "dumb down"(wrong choice of words but not surprising coming from you) their R rating as you say, it would not be R any longer. Would Conterdict the "Deadpool 3 will be R-Rated"statement a bit. But I can't wait to see what you cook up next time.
    This "I find this ignorance too unrealistic to believe" is one of the most ironic things I have ever read in a forum. glasshouse stones and all that^^
    Last edited by lowfyr; 01-12-2021 at 07:09 AM.

BANNED

Second if they would "dumb down"(wrong choice of words but not surprising coming from you) their R rating as you say, it would not be R any longer. Would Conterdict the "Deadpool 3 will be R-Rated"statement a bit. But I can't wait to see what you cook up next time.
    This "I find this ignorance too unrealistic to believe" is one of the most ironic things I have ever read in a forum. glasshouse stones and all that^^
    Well, I never noticed or thought of it until the reason MCU did it and that is the problem.

Smoking are usually part of a character's traits, sometimes very important, other times it adds dark humor commentary. a good one was in X2. Wolverine smokes, xavier tells him not to, otherwise he will get jean to braid his hair on the disguise he is a 6 year old. this is the one of the many times wolverine smokes and xavier tells him to stop it, so you can add the message that smoking is bad but still let the character have a choice to keep doing it. i believe that is the point they put smoking kills on the packets. there are ways to work on a story that does not just have to dumb something down by totally banning it when you dont have to. oh and still keep it pg 13.

Second if they would "dumb down" their R rating as you say, it would not be R any longer.
    Well, It will likely be R in name only. Deadpool's success as an r rated movie is going to cause a lot problem for other films.

In your last paragraph first you conterdict yourself. And this "I find this ignorance too unrealistic to believe" is one of the most ironic things I have ever read in a forum. glasshouse stones and all that^^
    Here is MCU contradicting other pg 13 Spiderman movies.
    https://www.et***********/news/20244...child_friendly
    Tom Holland Explains Why His Spider-Man Is 'Child-Friendly': 'He Never Actually Punches Anyone'

I trust it will be worse for Deadpool 3 compared to Deadpool 1, remember Disney is only making this movie by the skin of teeth.
    We see the words ''child-friendly'' again come up again that means cannot be r but only pg. except Spiderman 2002 can also be called child friendly since it is pg 13 but did not conform to such guidelines Spiderman Homecoming had to follow.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-12-2021 at 07:43 AM.

The original Spider-Man movie was in 2002. Around 2007 most major movie studios decided to stop depicting smoking in their movies.

This isn't an "MCU" thing. This is a "movies" thing. If that movie was made now Sony wouldn't have had him smoking either.

You claim ignorance in others yet state that Disney set the MPAA ratings code. Laughable.

you can be rude but don't miss the point. What can be contained to pg 13 by a movie taking from comics is not the same for different studios. what you are doing is insisting Disney ratings is the same as others but it is not. this is not false.
    You are seriously saying that the MPAA judges movies differently based on each individual studio. This is an incredibly dumb idea that defeats the entire purpose of the ratings system.

Many comic books like Deadpool, X-Men, Batman daredevil all will have r rating material by disney ratings standard, this is truth. did you ever read Bob Iger book about running Disney for over a decade? Iger said they had concerns about marvel before they purchased the company since marvel was too edgy. all that changed with time. You keep saying it false, but it is true,
    Marvel has their own internal ratings system for their comics and have since they left the Comics Code in 2001. That was well before Disney bought them. That doesn't mean that the bulk of them are "R" rated material, because they aren't.

So what defines r rating material to you? someone has said cocaine sniffing counts as r rating in the movies. drug use exist is many comics including marvel comics and dc, so why does that get r rating in movies?
    How many comics on a monthly basis openly show a hero doing drugs? There's also a large difference between alcoholism, something derived from a legal substance, and illicit illegal drug use. Not sure what comics you're reading if you think heroes shooting heroin happens on the regular.

Drug use in comics have been addressed in the past, and 99% of the time it's showing the negative effects of it. Birds of Prey did not of that, hence in part the "R" rating.

Geez, I think maybe this is trying too had to dismiss disney own guidelines as nonsense when there numerous evidence I posted, Here is a better summary. LOL, the video makers even calls it crazy , other studios don't have this guidelines for their own pg 13 movies.
    You're confusing a studio's internal guidelines with an independent ratings system. Disney can say "you can't have this in a movie if you make it with us" but they can't hand the MPAA a "G" rated movie and tell them to slap an "R" on it. That's not how it works.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Well, I never noticed or thought of it until the reason MCU did it and that is the problem.
    Your problem, not Marvel's.

Smoking are usually part of a character's traits, sometimes very important, other times it adds dark humor commentary. a good one was in X2. Wolverine smokes, xavier tells him not to, otherwise he will get jean to braid his hair on the disguise he is a 6 year old. this is the one of the many times wolverine smokes and xavier tells him to stop it, so you can add the message that smoking is bad but still let the character have a choice to keep doing it. i believe that is the point they put smoking kills on the packets. there are ways to work on a story that does not just have to dumb something down by totally banning it when you dont have to. oh and still keep it pg 13.
    So, Logan was a bad movie because it didn't show Wolverine lighting up, then?

Well, It will likely be R in name only.
    If a movie's rated "R," then it's rated "R." There's nothing "in name about that.

Deadpool's success as an r rated movie is going to cause a lot problem for other films.
    What the what?

Here is MCU contradicting other pg 13 Spiderman movies.
    https://www.et***********/news/20244...child_friendly
    Tom Holland Explains Why His Spider-Man Is 'Child-Friendly': 'He Never Actually Punches Anyone'
    And yet Spider-Verse was okay for older children with a mere "PG" and still considered a great movie.

I trust it will be worse for Deadpool 3 compared to Deadpool 1, remember Disney is only making this movie by the skin of teeth.
    Source?

We see the words ''child-friendly'' again come up again that means cannot be r but only pg. except Spiderman 2002 can also be called child friendly since it is pg 13 but did not conform to such guidelines Spiderman Homecoming had to follow.
    Do you hear yourself?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

But since they are making an R-rated movie, every single you've said here will not apply. And Marvel doesn't get to decide what makes a movie PG-13 or R.

You're literally arguing that Marvel will somehow change criteria for the R-rating.

Seriously??

Ultimate Member

its relevant, its not the genre that counts. there are many comic books that have used the n word or talked about rape.
    Read the title of the thread. And then mention the comics that have used the N-word or talked about rape instead of talking about "To kill a mockingbird". It's totally irrelevant to what we are discussing here.

Since when did Disney become the MPAA?? Disney doesn't decide what constitutes an R-rating or not. And my question about reading Deadpool wasn't me being rude, it was me being factual because they comics outside of Deadpool Max or Duggan's run doesn't feature that much on-panel explicit violence.

None of these comics feature on-panel violence beyond PG-13 levels. The violence in the Daredevil or Batman isn't something you won't necessarily see in your average street level superhero movie. Besides, the Daredevil TV series was far more violent than what we see in the comics, so, if Disney/Marvel can produce that I doubt they would have problem featuring extreme violence in an R-rated movie.

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-ori...edgy-says-ceo/
    Disney originally passed on Marvel for being 'too edgy,' says CEO

The other words for edgy is usually r rating or anything that is not meant to be all that kid friendly
    The comics are rated T for teen outside of Marvel Max. And Bob Iger probably hadn't even read that many Marvel comics at the time (and I sincerely doubt he ever has!).

So what defines r rating material to you? someone has said cocaine sniffing counts as r rating in the movies. drug use exist is many comics including marvel comics and dc, so why does that get r rating in movies? the same for a person been an alcoholic, why is that in comics but not put in some movies like Iron Man 3 an MCU movie , however that can be in a pg 13 or r rated DC film based on comics that are not rated R.
    Which superhero comics show explicit drug use on panel??? Even comics that deal extensively with characters fighting drug dealers, we rarely, if ever see drug use in comics.

I don't believe that alcoholism will even get you an R-rating either. Outside explicit depictions of the effects of said alcoholism.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-12-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Sometimes I just click on these threads because I know Castle is gonna say something nonsensical

not much point in debating people are arguing in bad faith imo but some of you are much more patient than i am, kudos to you

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Sometimes I just click on these threads because I know Castle is gonna say something nonsensical
    Starting to wonder whether Disney have been seeding online communities with crisis actors who force the regular users to have to defend Marvel Studios against obviously ridiculous statements.

Since when was To Kill a Mockingbird a children's book? Is it because it's taught in middle schools? Does that make Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath children's books, too?