Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman: Earth One Volume 2 *SPOILERS*

I figured I'd start this thread early because not only is this due to drop next week, there is also a long preview available on Amazons.com at least. Spoilers/Speculation below

spoilers:

-it starts with a flashback of Paula von Gunther leading an invading force of Nazis onto Paradise Island, so Steve's reference of SS reports of a "Ghost Island" in volume 1 are being explained here. Hippolyta gives fair warning to Paula and the men to leave or else they will be subjected to Aphrodite's laws, but Paula has her forces charge. I went into this expecting a similar outcome as the Germans invading in the movie, but instead the Amazons use pacifying weapons on the men. It hits them with positive emotions or something, they shout "Yes!" in elation when being hit by the beams, causing them to surrender.
    - Hippolyta orders the male prisoners to be sent to "Aphrodite's World" to be reformed by Queen Desira and her butterfly winged Venus Girls. Not sure if this is actually Venus, but they have a transporter that sends the men there. I'd love to see it, maybe contact with Venus is how they got their tech. Seems this was to be Steve's fate when the Amazons were pursuing him with Diana, and Diana assuming they would kill him humanely was speculation on her part. It redeems Hippolyta's actions a bit, IMO, as it doesn't look like she would have had Steve harmed until Diana ran into "hostile" enemy territory and she sent Medusa out to deal with combatants.
    - Paula is a superhuman here and is called Uberfraulein.
    - Hippolyta slaps the Venus Girdle on Paula. The scene is kind of creepy, though the Venus Girdles have always been unintentionally creepy, so I'm wondering if that was the intent? I've always wanted them to still have a part in the lore, just not be endorsed and abandoned by the Amazons in favor of other means of rehabilitation. Paula is forced to realize that she was weak for seeking validation in the ideals of a weak man like Hitler. Hippolyta tells her that if she wants to be a slave to the ideas of others, the Amazons code is healthier and they will help her explore her desires with a loving mistress. She says the Girdle will not always be needed. Maybe this is Paula's own unique reaction to this, and not an indication of how the Girdle's always work?
    - Diana is ordered to remain in the city by Hippolyta but disobeys and rides out on Jumpa (yay!), but doesn't get there until after the men are sent away. Paula sees her similarity to Hippolyta and is enraptured by her.
    - Dr. Psycho is brought in by a shadowy group of men who want to learn the secrets of Amazons island and access their technology. They are the ones reviewing the history of Paula. Psycho's face isn't shown, but he appears to be of average height instead of a dwarf. The preview also includes some of Paquette's sketches, and it shows a later scene of Psycho being brought to Paradise island to be sent to Venus, and while he is shorter than the Amazons he is also up to their shoulders. Probably for the best, as his misogyny and sketchy use of his powers are on display here, and depicting the only character with dwarfism as that reprehensible is not a good look.
    - Diana will have a Middle Eastern adventure, and at Grant's insistence, Paquette designed a burka for her to wear for it.
    - Diana gives speeches at universities, and tells a trans student that there is room in her society for not only Trans Wonder Women, but everyone.
    - A less than favorable early review on Good Reads said Maxwell Lord is in this and set up as the big bad of volume 3. UGGGGH.
    end of spoilers

I'm not sure if those who disliked the first volume will be won over by this one, but everything here (aside from that last bit) looks very interesting to me. Glad we have this to tide us over before Wilson starts in November.

I never knew April Fools Day was being celebrated six months early

This is what Amazon actually wrote up about the book which goes on sale this week in shops and In Stock Trades

spoilers:
    The highly anticipated sequel to the #1 New York Times bestselling original graphic novel is here in WONDER WOMAN: EARTH ONE VOL. 2, from the acclaimed creative team of Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette!

For years, Diana of Paradise Island yearned to leave the only home she knew behind for adventures that laid beyond its shores. Now, after a fateful meeting with Air Force pilot Steve Trevor, the Amazon Warrior finds herself in Man's World. And she is ready for anything that it may throw at her.

But is the world ready for Wonder Woman? An American Government, fraught with dissession and conflicts foreign to Diana, have deemed her a danger to society. How will Wonder Woman carry out her mission of peace and love in a world that can't get out of its own way? That is, unless there are more insidious forces at play...

Continuing the tradition of critically acclaimed EARTH ONE tales that challenge the status quo of the comics industry, WONDER WOMAN: EARTH ONE VOL. 2 is Grant Morrison's latest genre-rocking salvo. With dynamic illustrations from the divine Yanick Paquette, this original graphic novel is a classic in the making.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 10-01-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I never knew April Fools Day was being celebrated six months early
    Heh yeah, maybe I should change the title to include "preview."

Is it actually coming out this Wednesday?! I'm going right to LCS after work lol.

Everything sounds good to me, except the supposed "big bad" for Vol. 3. Please stop shoehorning him into the Wonderverse!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Everything sounds good to me, except the supposed "big bad" for Vol. 3. Please stop shoehorning him into the Wonderverse!
    My thoughts exactly. Kind of kills my excitement for volume 3 a bit. If we don't get Priscilla Rich, Villainy Inc or even a Marston-style revamped Circe, I will be disappointed. This volume has two confirmed old school villains though, so maybe we'll get multiple villains in volume 3.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Interview - How Grant Morrison Created a Supervillain Pickup Artist for Wonder Woman: Earth One, Vol. 2: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10...arth-one-vol-2

I really don't mind the big bad in question if that's the route Morrison wants to go. Hell I wouldn't mind if they used it more in the main continuity only on the grounds they gave the dynamic way more depth than just what its known for now. But in a standalone tale, Morrison can create whatever dynamic he likes so I have little issue with that.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Interview - How Grant Morrison Created a Supervillain Pickup Artist for Wonder Woman: Earth One, Vol. 2: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10...arth-one-vol-2

Lot of triggered dudes in the comment section of this article.

It seems that once again Diana will not physically fight any super powered beings in Earth One, too bad...

Really happy that Morrison realised that using the original Doctor Psycho was both ableistic and would dilute the criticism of patriarchy that using the character as a villain would carry.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Why do so many talented DC writers suck at writing Wonder Woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    I think that question would warrant its own thread and some more thoughts and examples behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Really happy that Morrison realised that using the original Doctor Psycho was both ableistic and would dilute the criticism of patriarchy that using the character as a villain would carry.
    Yeah, very interesting use of Psycho here. It will be interesting to see how Morrison contrasts his brand of mind control with the mind control of the Amazons using the Venus Girdles. While the latter is shady no doubt spoilers:
    And I'm not sure it will last, Paula's "rehabilitation" doesn't seem to stick in the wordless art Paquette released earlier
    end of spoilers, it appears to be coming from a better place, a genuine desire to see people reformed, instead of the inherently selfish desires of someone like Psycho.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    That depends on who you ask, not everyone thinks Morrison sucks at writing Wonder Woman. At least now now, his writing of her in Final Crisis does indeed kinda suck though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I really don't mind the big bad in question if that's the route Morrison wants to go. Hell I wouldn't mind if they used it more in the main continuity only on the grounds they gave the dynamic way more depth than just what its known for now. But in a standalone tale, Morrison can create whatever dynamic he likes so I have little issue with that.
    Yeah, I still am very much looking forward to volume 3. All that matters is that it's a great comic in it's own right, so I'm down for whatever.

spoilers:
    But with so many neglected villains within the WW franchise, especially in the Golden Age that Morrison is using as inspiration, this character seems a frustrating choice when he isn't even part of the mythos. Plus he's kind of redundant with Psycho around.
    end of spoilers

His poor usage of her in Final Crisis is what led to this in the first place. He acknowledged he had no idea what to do with her in FC because of a fundamental lack of knowledge on the character and wanted to rectify it with research and then an eventual project. That's what this is.

I give him a lot of credit for that, acknowledging he did poor work with a character. He didn't defend her useless role in the event or double down on it :cough: DCAUBatFangirl:cough: rather admitted he just didn't get her and did the research necessary on the character to change that.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-02-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    there is also a long preview available on Amazons.com at least. Spoilers/Speculation below
    Would you mind linking to it? I went both to Amazons.com and Amazon.com, and I couldn't find it in either place.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Would you mind linking to it? I went both to Amazons.com and Amazon.com, and I couldn't find it in either place.
    Here is the link I was using

https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-...40_&dpSrc=srch