Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skrilmps View Post
    Hi Pledge, thanks for the reply. It sounds like you have a good reading project underway! I too have undertaken something similar with literature. And speaking of Lovecraft, I went on an HPL reading binge a few years back and found myself wanting to know (as I often do, apparently) who and what his inspirations were. I then found myself reading Poe. And next, who were Poe's inspirations? And so on and so forth.

I think it's a very worthwhile enterprise to seek out and understand the influences of the works that you admire. Everything and everyone was influenced by something that came before. By seeking out and studying those influences I think it gives us a better sense of perspective and appreciation for the things we enjoy. At its heart it's essentially a study of history, and I think anyone benefits from the study of history, whether it's the history of literature, the history of comics, or the history of anything else.

Happy reading!
    Thanks man. I'm already eyeing Poe now that I've read a few Lovecraft stories haha! Totally agree with you on the study of history...I never realised until recently how enamoured I am with it..all these years I thought I hated it due to my school's curriculum being steeped in tedious wars and politics. I don't know about you, but sometimes it can feel a little isolating learning about these things while everyone else is engrossed in the modern day stuff. After really getting into something, I often have the need to find people to talk about it with...kinda hard when nobody knows what the heck you're talking about lol. Thank god for forums :P

Spectacular Member

I have been hoping for batman #400 ressurection night to be printed into a trade but no such luck so far.

Given we are being treated to prelude trades with the road to no man's land and prelude to nightfall. Is there the likelihood of a prelude to crisis featuring the original introl and early Jason Todd stories?

All-New Member

I have never read DC comics (except some golden age Shazaam as a kid and The Killing Joke) but I'd really love to go through the best stuff and plot helpful stuff and then read COIE. So your list is super helpful, but I'd really love to get a copy of your issue list with the 1/3 that's missing. Is there any way I could get that? Another dude asked in 2015 but I don't think you posted it. I'm @jacfalcon on Twitter and Instagram.

Thank you so much!

All-New Member

Hi. I'm in the same position as you are a few years back. I want to start reading comics and pick up DC as I was fond of its animated cartoons and planned to start with crisis on infinite Earths and before that want to familiarise myself with Dc universe and slowly it took me to the very beginning of Golden age of comics. As it is overwhelming and searched for essential comics of pre-crisis Dc and stumbled upon your thread. Now I know I'm not alone. Your work is marvelous. I want the complete list of 450 comics with rationales. How to get it? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Viki View Post
    Hi. I'm in the same position as you are a few years back. I want to start reading comics and pick up DC as I was fond of its animated cartoons and planned to start with crisis on infinite Earths and before that want to familiarise myself with Dc universe and slowly it took me to the very beginning of Golden age of comics. As it is overwhelming and searched for essential comics of pre-crisis Dc and stumbled upon your thread. Now I know I'm not alone. Your work is marvelous. I want the complete list of 450 comics with rationales. How to get it? Thank you.
    As someone who also loves the DC Animated universe (I assume we are talking about BTAS, Superman, JL and JLU, Teen Titans and Young Justice and not the various adaptations like Flashpoint, TDKR and others) I don't know if this approach is the best.
    These old comics can be a chore to read and often very different to what we know now. I would recommend maybe getting into more modern (or well regarded post crisis) runs and then getting into the pre crisis stories because I really don't think those will give you the same experience the animated shows did.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    As someone who also loves the DC Animated universe (I assume we are talking about BTAS, Superman, JL and JLU, Teen Titans and Young Justice and not the various adaptations like Flashpoint, TDKR and others) I don't know if this approach is the best.
    These old comics can be a chore to read and often very different to what we know now. I would recommend maybe getting into more modern (or well regarded post crisis) runs and then getting into the pre crisis stories because I really don't think those will give you the same experience the animated shows did.
    Ya is a chore. You are right. It's daunting. Especially comics upto 60s. Those lengthy cheesy dialogues. Silly gimmicks. But there is some charm to it. Like that Justice League episode 'Legends'. I want to experience how they evolved into current age. But I can't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Viki View Post
    Ya is a chore. You are right. It's daunting. Especially comics upto 60s. Those lengthy cheesy dialogues. Silly gimmicks. But there is some charm to it. Like that Justice League episode 'Legends'. I want to experience how they evolved into current age. But I can't help myself.
    for the Legends type stories you could go for the Geoff Johns JSA, which is much more modern but tells old school type stories. Also Johns is very good with introducing new readers to old concepts and characters. His JSA is the perfect example of that.
    That said there are some good older comics, I'm a big fan of bronze age Iron man, Roger Stern's Spidey, even the Lee-Ditko Doctor strange.
    I just had an idea though, do you know about the "celebration" books from DC? Some of them are in the op's list. Like Batman: A celebration of 75 years, Justice Society: A celebration of 75 years etc etc hardcovers? You might want to check those out as they tend to feature stories from the very start to current days, showcasing the different significant eras the characters went through. (I don't own any of them though).

All-New Member

I'll try for sure. Thanks balakin

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

This is something that really frustrates me about Crisis and DC's approach to continuity in general.

With Marvel it's very easy to find the starting point - it's the first issue. There have been retcons and soft reboots along the way, but as a whole if you want to read the whole story of Daredevil you just start with Daredevil #1 and follow the series along to the present day.

Crisis was a very poorly conceived solution to a very minor problem. The "problem": Having multiple Earths is too confusing and thus off-putting to new readers. The simplest and most obvious solution: Just phase out everything but Earth 1. The "solution" they enacted instead: Write a 12 issue story that directly involves or references everything from the past 50 years of publication that is completely incomprehensible to new readers and use this story to alter the existing continuity through extensive retcons that will leave some stuff untouched, some stuff wildly altered and some stuff incomprehensible.

Instead of making things less confusing and off-putting to new readers it permanently made things more confusing and off-putting by an order of magnitude, as thirty years later we still face questions regarding pre-Crisis and post-Crisis.

Had Crisis actually gone all the way and been a hard reboot starting everything over from Chapter One DC would be in a tremendously stronger place right now.
    Miller was right.

TaRex

Hey skrilmps, I just wanted to say I'm very impressed with what you have here. Is there any chance you could send me your master document with all the issues in chronological order by email if I provide it?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    This is something that really frustrates me about Crisis and DC's approach to continuity in general.

With Marvel it's very easy to find the starting point - it's the first issue. There have been retcons and soft reboots along the way, but as a whole if you want to read the whole story of Daredevil you just start with Daredevil #1 and follow the series along to the present day.
    Uhh, what? Which Daredevil #1 would you start with? When do you switch back to legacy numbering? You talk as if every Marvel comic started with #1 and continued that numbering up to the present. And what about if you’re trying to read in trade? Type Daredevil Vol 1 in at Amazon and see how many trades you get Or pick something like X-Men, Thor, or almost any other character where not only did the series end and start over and over, the title changed multiple times. I think you’re being far too kind and oversimplifying Marvel’s organization and how easy it is or isn’t for a new reader.

Though I do agree with your ultimate point, just saying “everything counts” is easier than dealing with alternate earths, and Crisis didn’t simplify anything, just as The New 52 went and did exactly the same thing and had the exact same problems (is it a reboot? Is it a continuation? Is it both? Is it neither? Is it consistent from title to title? Is it even consistent for a given character from one book to another?)

With shared universes as old as Marvel and DC that insist on continuity, I don’t think there’s a good solution ultimately, some are just less bad than others

All-New Member

This is amazing! Is there any way I can get sent the individual issues list?

Amazing Member

Hello. I've returned to this thread that I started over 5 years ago and was pleasantly surprised that people are still reading and responding to it.

Thanks for your interest in my original document, I'll be glad to share it with you. I've added a large amount to it since I first posted this, including Infinite Crisis up to Final Crisis and up through New 52 and Convergence. I haven't tackled Rebirth yet. I've also started a similar project for the Marvel universe, which is still a work in progress.

If you'd like a copy of my document (it's an Excel spreadsheet), just send me a PM with your email address and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Best,
    Mark
    Last edited by skrilmps; 03-20-2021 at 02:41 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by skrilmps View Post
    Hello. I've returned to this thread that I started over 5 years ago and was pleasantly surprised that people are still reading and responding to it.

Thanks for your interest in my original document, I'll be glad to share it with you. I've added a large amount to it since I first posted this, including Infinite Crisis up to Final Crisis and up through New 52 and Convergence. I haven't tackled Rebirth yet. I've also started a similar project for the Marvel universe, which is still a work in progress.

If you'd like a copy of my document (it's an Excel spreadsheet), just send me a PM with your email address and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Best,
    Mark
    Sent you a PM!
    Last edited by MOWJO8185; 03-22-2021 at 04:40 AM.

This is an amazing list.

I've been collecting and reading since about 2016.

At some point I pulled away from the modern books like New52 and Rebirth and started digging into the past.

I was born in 1985 and read on and off casually much of thr 90s. Starting with Death of Superman and stopping around Blue Superman... mostly cause I was more interested in friends, video games and girls.

One of the first big stories I collected was COIE. But couldn't connect... couldn't care... I have never even finished it...

I also have all of Fourth World Omnibus... Kirby's original 70s stories...

Ive collected a bunch of older books.

Find it very hard to really connect to materials older then the 90s... but I keep trying... and I find some gems now and again...

This list will definitely help me explore more of DC history!

Thanks