Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You can joke about anything, but if your joke about racism kinda makes racism sound cool, and takes the side of the racist, then it's not just a joke about racism.
    Except this wasn't a joke promoting sexual assault or made it "cool" Plastic-Man was the butt of the joke as a pathetic loser put in his place by Diana.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It was meant as a joke as written and I'm from the George Carlin school where you can Joke about anything. If it's funny that's a different story.
    You can try to make joke about anything, but people also have a right to respond to jokes any way they want, including pointing out how sometimes a joke can promote a status quo where a harmful and hurtful practice is passed off as no big deal.

Besides, George Carlin understood limits. He wasn't making jokes about child molestation on Shining Time Station.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    You can try to make joke about anything, but people also have a right to respond to jokes any way they want, including pointing out how sometimes a joke can promote a status quo where a harmful and hurtful practice is passed off as no big deal.

Besides, George Carlin understood limits. He wasn't making jokes about child molestation on Shining Time Station.
    No but he did make jokes about children and how dumb a lot were and how we shouldn't protect all of them and allow natural selection to take some and mentioned his time as Mr. Conductor while doing it. Also hating the joke and making that known I don't mind it's telling someone not to make the joke.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 09-11-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Mighty Member

No but he did make jokes about children and how dumb a lot were and how we shouldn't protect all of them and allow natural selection to take some and mentioned his time as Mr. Conductor while doing it.
    But not on Shining Time Station. Because he understood limits. And when he went to far, he faced consequences and took responsibility for his actions, like being fired in Vegas and entering rehab. No one is free of responsibility and no one is immune to consequences.

It was a Joke a bad stupid Joke. But what's worse is trying to police humor.
    I think the issue with this kind of thinking is that it suggests humour is somehow the highest, most protected form of speech. It is so protected that I, as a consumer, am stripped of my ability to criticize it or else I am policing the comedian. I can't imagine any other scenario where this relationship exists, let alone upheld so fervently by free-speech enthusiasts.

Not to mention this idea that humour is above criticism has encouraged people to pass otherwise unacceptable speech under the guise of humour.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

This is from a book a decade ago, it kind of goes in the class that most Mal Brooks films do, in the social climate of today it wouldn't pass, back then it was just a joke. What is next J.K Rowling promoted the use of date rape drugs buy using love potions in her books.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 09-11-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    This is from a book a decade ago, it kind of goes in the class that most Mal Brooks films do, in the social climate of today it wouldn't pass, back then it was just a joke. What is next J.K Rowling promoted the use of date rape drugs buy using love potions in her books.
    Oh, you have not been paying attention.

The Potter books are full of stuff that doesn't pass muster once you think about it for two seconds, and fans of the books have been aware of this and talking about it for years.

Sigh...

These seems the proper time to publish an updated edition of "The seduction of the innocent". The ideological atmosphere is perfect for that.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ambush Bug is the Proto Deadpool and don't you forget it.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member

Reminds me of how a Plasticman story (did he have a series at that point?) a bit after Identity Crisis pretty much was made a big point about how people tend to joke about his powers in an overtly sexual manner and that he wasn't a fan of it.

Basically as a way of acknowledging the way he's often been written when he's not really supposed to be more than a comedic character. and to my knowledge that's been outright eliminated or very toned down since then.

Still let's not kid ourselves. Some artifacts from previous ages of social acceptance pop up here and there. Look at say Platinum of the Metal Men who pretty much is constantly trying to take advantage of her creator. They even outright lampshaded that prior to the New 52 making it clear just how bad that was even on the woman assaulting men direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Ambush Bug is the Proto Deadpool and don't you forget it.
    No, he isn't because Ambush Bug is actually funny
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I always thought Deadpool was a combination of the 1988 Clint Eastwood movie The Deadpool
    and Mike Baron's 1983 comic book creation Badger.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Oh, you have not been paying attention.

The Potter books are full of stuff that doesn't pass muster once you think about it for two seconds, and fans of the books have been aware of this and talking about it for years.
    I only read the books and took them as fiction and entertainment, didn't contemplate the social relevance or impact of them, maybe why I enjoyed them so much.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 09-11-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Why is this proto-Thor allowed in the DCU?!?

Why is this proto-Moon Knight allowed in the DCU?!?

seriously though, a lot of stuff that was deemed comical does not fly anymore. it doesn't mean the character is damaged goods because of changing acceptable behavior.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I only read the books and took them as fiction and entertainment, didn't contemplate the social relevance or impact of them, maybe why I enjoyed them so much.
    Well, fans don't just take the stuff they are fans off a fiction and entertainment. They analyse the crap out of it.