View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Hero?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • T'challa/Black Panther

28 34.15%
  • Ororo Munroe/Storm

28 34.15%
  • Monica Rambeau/Spectrum/Photon

20 24.39%
  • Luke Cage/Powerman

11 13.41%
  • Misty Knight

10 12.20%
  • Sam Wilson/Falcon

12 14.63%
  • James Rhodes/War Machine

6 7.32%
  • Lunella Lafayette/Moon Girl

4 4.88%
  • Riri Williams/Iron Heart

5 6.10%
  • Eric Brooks/Blade

12 14.63%
  • Tyrone Johnson/Cloak

6 7.32%
  • Nick Fury/Nick Fury Jr

2 2.44%
  • Miles Morales/Spiderman

17 20.73%
  • Shuri

8 9.76%
  • Jericho Drumm/Brother Voodoo

12 14.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    New black X-Man this year. UNVEIL.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsdz2y0BUGL

Wow, she's almost Synch-like in presentation. Interesting!
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm too much a child of the Handbook days to cotton to that sort of squiffily defined narrative gumbo. I want boundaries and definitions and limits (and writers who know the first effing thing about science, even if they promptly flip physics the bird anyway). It's not cool or shocking or daring to color outside the lines if you never had any in the first place...
    It's all relative with Monica/Spectrum. I thought that Ewing presented a good balance of how powerful Monica could be, yet how even her powers don't exactly scale against true mid-tier to endgame cosmic beings. She might be powerful enough to destroy a few planets, but she couldn't defeat a Beyonder-like being by herself, or even escape from Anti-Man's dark energy containment field. True enough, on Earth in most situations Monica would wreck most of the competition in nanoseconds, if written to specs. But light and other forms of electromagnetic energy have limitations on Earth. Writers just have to do a little research. And there's also the "human" element, which is to say that Monica is limited by her knowledge, her reservoir of experiences, and the choices that she makes based on that. I think it's a safe bet that we'll never see Monica written like Black Panther or Batman -- individuals who seem to always have the answers and the benefit of the author's pen.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Wow, she's almost Synch-like in presentation. Interesting!
    That's what I thought too. Synch by way of old school nudist Storm!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Why do people insist on making this some sort of Carol vs Monica thing over a name that Monica hasn't used in 20yrs? Shouldn't we be talking about how Monica could better be used in the comics or what shape Monica's own movie or TV might take?
    YES, Monica is my favorite hero and nothing about her being the first female Captain Marvel has anything to do it. I love the name Spectrum but still to me she's just Monica Rambeau. That's her brand and what makes her special . What's important is getting her pushed across all mediums and for writers to focus on Monica the woman not the damn codename. Ewing made great strides with this following Stern's lead and i hope this continues with No Road Home and afterwards.

Niffleheim

I weep a little inside when i see a white-washed Sunspot.
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-12-2019 at 02:24 PM.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. It sucks that she never gets the push that her fans want. I am patiently waiting for a funko pop in any of her "aliases." I think she was even removed in some promo for the original Secret Wars. Everytime there is a Marvel comics event, she's never part of it. I do hope Marvel takes notice cuz her Electromagnetic powers will be so awesome to see in an animated program. One can only hope.

Fantastic Member

I just remembered that Falcon is getting a Disney+ series (and granted he's getting it with Bucky Barnes) but this is probably the highest push the character has gotten in the MCU, and with any luck it might translate into another ongoing/mini. I really enjoyed his Falcon series, and I need more Sam Wilson mentoring Rayshaun Lucas/Patriot. That relationship was such a highlight for me.

Clearly, you misapprehend my position. I never stated that Monica had the Captain Marvel sobriquet before Mar-Vell (of whom I was a HUGE fan), nor is this about the name. This is about second class treatment which is by definition derivative. Indeed, this is about Monica getting credit for her great legacy. Most of the public has no idea who Monica Rambeau is. When she first comes to their attention in the movie it will likely not be as the shining, dynamic femme extraordaire that we all know and love. Carol will supplant her (and others) in part by establishing that Monica was never even of her peerage, let alone the first woman to carry the torch forward that is the Captain Marvel moniker. That's my perception, fully awake and focused, eyes wide open and all senses on point.

But enough about this topic. My apologies to the OP, we've derailed this thread enough.
    I bolded the most import part of your post.You missed my point and to bring it home I will point that Antman(Hank pym) and Wasp aren't founding members of Avengers and are side characters in movie franchise. The point is whole entire movie universe is whole different monster and even founding members of Avengers including the guy who create Ultron really didn't get a place in Avengers movies. The point was Monica isn't important in the movie world and complaining that she was being disrespected really doesn't matter because they don't have to use her period. We have examples of bigger more popular characters not being used in their signature story. They are thousands of characters in Marvel uni a character just showing up is good. Should Marvel have built up Monica? Yes but they spent the past 10 years building Carol into the definitive Captain Marvel.It is spilt milk at this point

Bring it back to appreciating black character I get the frustration the Avengers had their version of "Storm" but instead of embracing her build up her icon status the Avengers just threw away their 'Storm". I am not saying you guys are wrong to express annoyance at Monica Rambeau being pass over and not getting a push. I am saying the point for change has long past Marvel has successful push Carol into spotlight. Yeah I am going to keep saying it Spectrum is the brand and when Monica Rambeau shows up in movies there has been a clear pattern of Marvel pushing the characters from movies. So I am expecting to see a push of Monica Rambeau just like Shuri and Killmonger are getting spotlight right now. I don't care for the Captain Marvel name and mark my words regardless of how popular Carol gets the name can still be swiped away(well shared) from her and given to another character(For example Marvel deciding to resurrect and push the Original one). I am glad Monica doesn't have threat looming over her anymore and any creator who is using her is using her because they want to use Monica Rambeau

It's all relative with Monica/Spectrum. I thought that Ewing presented a good balance of how powerful Monica could be, yet how even her powers don't exactly scale against true mid-tier to endgame cosmic beings. She might be powerful enough to destroy a few planets, but she couldn't defeat a Beyonder-like being by herself, or even escape from Anti-Man's dark energy containment field. True enough, on Earth in most situations Monica would wreck most of the competition in nanoseconds, if written to specs. But light and other forms of electromagnetic energy have limitations on Earth. Writers just have to do a little research. And there's also the "human" element, which is to say that Monica is limited by her knowledge, her reservoir of experiences, and the choices that she makes based on that. I think it's a safe bet that we'll never see Monica written like Black Panther or Batman -- individuals who seem to always have the answers and the benefit of the author's pen.
    I see Spectrum as Marvel's Flash in sense that is the type lane they need to use her in. Flash is ridiculous powerful and nobody bats and eye when he does something ridiculous but most case he is written under his capabilities because who is really a challenge for someone that fast or the many abilities that he has. Me personally I would love that play up her speed they there is nobody in Marvel filling that lane and think she could easily be used a prominent hero as Marvel fastest hero.I think you brought up a good point with human element in using her powers not being science type hero. That is good limitation and way to add supporting cast to a solo book.

I like this fan redesign

#EndTheFalconErasure #IKnowYou'reListeningBrevoort
    #BigFanBTW
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    New black X-Man this year. UNVEIL.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsdz2y0BUGL

she's beautiful. what are her powers? Her backstory? Also, based on her semi-nude presentation, I am wondering if there is controversy around the corner (objectification of a black woman's body, etc.)? [for comparison, we all know what happened with a fully clothed but 'provocatively posed' Spider-Woman a few years back]
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 01-14-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    she's beautiful. what are her powers? Her backstory? Also, based on her semi-nude presentation, I am wondering if there is controversy around the corner (objectification of a black woman's body, etc.)? [for comparison, we all know what happened with a fully clothed but 'provocatively posed' Spider-Woman a few years back]
    Given the climate, yes, I'd say it's a safe bet that there will be some controversy. Even if her superpower is to remove everyone else's clothing and artifices, too.

That said, I'm an old fart and that look would have worked well for plenty of album covers back in the 70s. Ohio Players, Funkadelic, you name it!

~James Baldwin

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

we've reached defcon 2, everyone

at this point, i will pleasure tom brevoort's toes in any way to get falcon in a book, even an event tie-in mini series
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Marvel's original three black heroes of the modern age (Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive! #526, 2011):

i always have trouble seeing Sam as a part of a big 3 (though he's certainly important enough in-universe). Luke represents the black street level heroes. T'challa sort of has that international status. but i'd say that someone like Storm is more qualified to be the 3rd. she represents black women.