Page 11 of 122 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp14 View Post
    I received my copy of Big Damn Sin City and I love it (plus the price is amazing!). This may be my new favourite book I own. Prior to this massive tome I only owned the miniature sized copy of the Hard Goodbye that came with the special edition DVD a few years back. Some pics below. The artwork is stunning in the larger format.

Attachment 4536
    Attachment 4537
    Attachment 4538
    Awesome! Can you show some more pictures? I really want to see how the binding looks and how well it lays flat throughout.

That Sin city is just insane. That is going to be a "stand at the desk" job to read...

Just ordered one of the Sin City. That's one big ass book.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    Awesome! Can you show some more pictures? I really want to see how the binding looks and how well it lays flat throughout.
    More pics:

DSC00356.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
    That Sin city is just insane. That is going to be a "stand at the desk" job to read...
    I just slob about on the couch, put the book and a cushion in my lap and jobs a good 'un. For lengthy tomes I'm more likely to read them on the sofa or in bed, it's a good job you don't need a table/desk as I don't have any flat surfaces like that here.

Spectacular Member

Such a shame you don't have Colossal Conan (Why not?), can't wait to see the first size comparison pics between the two.

Fantastic Member

Thanks! Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I just slob about on the couch, put the book and a cushion in my lap and jobs a good 'un. For lengthy tomes I'm more likely to read them on the sofa or in bed, it's a good job you don't need a table/desk as I don't have any flat surfaces like that here.
    Yeah thats how I normally read my bigass books; either on my computer desk, or in bed with a pillow on the lap also (normally the wifey's )
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    Such a shame you don't have Colossal Conan (Why not?), can't wait to see the first size comparison pics between the two.
    I'm ordering my copy of Big Damn in a week and ahalf if no one has it posted by then I'll make sure to post a comparison since they'll be beside each other all the time anyway

Amazing Member

I am thinking about buying the Big Damn Sin City book but can't seem to get past the minimalist black and white artwork that I have seen in the trades of Sin City. Whilst I have only recently succumbed to buying OHCs and Omnibuses that have artwork pre 2000, I can not seem to do the same for Sin City. Im very much of a modern artwork person but keep reading that the best comics are the older ones.

I dislike artwork in the Sandman, Tim Sales Batman, Watchmen etc but have still bought their omnibuses and Absolutes recently.

I have just also bought Fear Agent Library edition, Ghostbusters and Colossal Conan as a result of this post but I like the artwork in these books especially in Conan.

Doesn't the Sin City artwork bug other people? It just looks cheap and rushed, imo of course.

Its the same with Hellboy. Want to buy the library editions but dislike the artwork.
    Last edited by ukbondraider; 06-25-2014 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukbondraider View Post
    I am thinking about buying the Big Damn Sin City book but can't seem to get past the minimalist black and white artwork that I have seen in the trades of Sin City. Whilst I have only recently succumbed to buying OHCs and Omnibuses that have artwork pre 2000, I can not seem to do the same for Sin City. Im very much of a modern artwork person but keep reading that the best comics are the older ones.

I dislike artwork in the Sandman, Tim Sales Batman, Watchmen etc but have still bought their omnibuses and Absolutes recently.

I have just also bought Fear Agent Library edition, Ghostbusters and Colossal Conan as a result of this post but I like the artwork in these books especially in Conan.

Doesn't the Sin City artwork bug other people? It just looks cheap and rushed, imo of course.

Its the same with Hellboy. Want to buy the library editions but dislike the artwork.
    To each to their own, but I love Sin city's artwork and Hellboy's too. And no, they aren't rushed, Mignola's art is really well thought out, he does lots of research, makes sketches about every character and background and plans every page, every action scene, plans how to play with negative space etc.
    Same with Sin city. If something is minimalistic, it doesn't mean that its creation doesn't require a lot of work (especially since comic book art is not only about illustration, but storytelling too). Also, SC was designed to be in black and white and colours would just take away from the overall effect.
    But I'm not trying to convince you, if you don't like the style then that's it, it's just a matter of personal taste.

The one thing I don't understand is your dislike towards Watchmen. Dave Gibbon's art is really different from Sale's or Keith's. Detailed, classic, more realistic, compared to those two (or HB and SC).

Quote Originally Posted by ukbondraider View Post

I generally agree with all these other than Tim Sale. Story can trump bad art though.

A lot is taste though. A lot like Mignola Hellboy. Sandman on the other hand I can't say I have heard anyone gushing about the art, other than the fantastic cover art. I also feel the same on the Aldard Walking Dead. The Initial Tony Moore art was beautiful but I find Aldard's material cheap and lazy. But the story trumps it.

A lot probably have less dissention though. Like Jae Lee. I'm well in the minority of probably 1 here who doesn't like it. I find his Dark Tower work technically good but the faces just have a cold lack of any life at all like each image was drawn from a posed corpse.
    Last edited by Mobe1969; 06-25-2014 at 05:15 AM.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard of someone not liking Mignola's artwork on Hellboy. To each their own, of course.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    I think this is the first time I've ever heard of someone not liking Mignola's artwork on Hellboy. To each their own, of course.
    yeah, I can't even begin to comprehend that perspective. Mignola's work is utterly fabulous afaic...it's a big part of what makes Hellboy great.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
    I generally agree with all these other than Tim Sale. Story can trump bad art though.

A lot is taste though. A lot like Mignola Hellboy. Sandman on the other hand I can't say I have heard anyone gushing about the art, other than the fantastic cover art. I also feel the same on the Aldard Walking Dead. The Initial Tony Moore art was beautiful but I find Aldard's material cheap and lazy. But the story trumps it.

A lot probably have less dissention though. Like Jae Lee. I'm well in the minority of probably 1 here who doesn't like it. I find his Dark Tower work technically good but the faces just have a cold lack of any life at all like each image was drawn from a posed corpse.
    The art in Sandman is phenomenal, it always has been even though there were different artists (even the current Sandman overture has great art). I'm also a modern art fan but I can appreciate 80's and 90's art. I usually don't buy early 80's or 70's since the art as well as the story feel dated altough I do have exceptions of course and sometimes love those stories (I have a soft spot for Squadron Supreme, New Teen titans and Suicide squad). The 90's and 00's are my times, all my favorite stories come from those times and it doesn't help most have great art from superstars like Cassaday and Sean Phillips. I instantly buy every OHC from those guys (which is why it drives me nuts I can't find affordable Astonishing X-men OHC'S or the omnibus). I do love me some Mignola Hellboy art though
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47