Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Otherwise we wouldn't be here lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Guys, its the Image Comics own websites forums thats closed, not the CBR one... :P
    Thanks for clearing that up....

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    IMDB closed because of trolls.

Especially they targeted POC & LGBT movies, actors and actresses.
    The IMDB forums were closed because they ran on old software that had to be maintained while not making IMDB any money (the data and traffic costs were cited as much or more often than the 'troll issue'). It was one of, if not the largest forums in the world. That wasn't closed because a few people said mean words, it was closed because of money and to a lesser degree, control (it's easier to moderate a social media page where every post is ephemeral, rather than existing forever like a forum). There have been numerous analysis pieces written about this that are easy enough to google if you want to look past the PR spin. The rationale that you're talking about is the spin they used to stifle public outcry, which didn't work, because even websites like The Guardian had pieces begging IMDB (Amazon) to keep the forums which were invaluable for film buffs and students of film history. While current movies might have had a ton of spam, older movies and those out of the theater for a while had boards filled with great conversations, analysis, and commentary. The taking down of those forums was a massive loss not just for film enthusiasts, but for western culture as a whole.

All-New Member Cezar The Scribe's Avatar

The IMBD forums were closed after Amazon bought the site. They didn't want to put in any effort.

Also, they didn't want the truth about movies. That's why people in Hollywood have been attacking Rotten Tomatoes for their reviews.

Hollywood has no one to blame but themselves.

Amazon is the owner of IMBD?! Oh my, I had to miss that news. But I also believe that i'll not make any good for its credibility.
    A decent forum is one of the greatest fundaments of freedom in internet and let people state their opinions.

Astonishing Member

In the future Amazon will buy the whole internet, and than its over with the freedom of speech. They will regulate every post from every website until we, the community found an underground club to protest against it via black market internet sites

All-New Member

I had been a member of the forum for over a decade I think and for years I went there daily to talk about Savage Dragon, Invincible and The Walking Dead. The forum crashed at least two times in those years and lost all its posts. People needed to re-register with the site which often didn't work for some reason. So the place slowly died. In the end there were only a couple of guys there that were mostly talking about private things. When Image relaunched their website a while back they didn't even have a link to the forums in their navigation. That was pretty much the and of it. Erik Larsen posted on Facebook that most guys at Image probably didn't even know about the forums anymore.

A couple of the guys are at Facebook and post in the "Savage Dragon Fangroup" or the "Erik Larsen Fangroup" and a few others use the Invincifans group.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    I had been a member of the forum for over a decade I think and for years I went there daily to talk about Savage Dragon, Invincible and The Walking Dead. The forum crashed at least two times in those years and lost all its posts. People needed to re-register with the site which often didn't work for some reason. So the place slowly died. In the end there were only a couple of guys there that were mostly talking about private things. When Image relaunched their website a while back they didn't even have a link to the forums in their navigation. That was pretty much the and of it. Erik Larsen posted on Facebook that most guys at Image probably didn't even know about the forums anymore.

A couple of the guys are at Facebook and post in the "Savage Dragon Fangroup" or the "Erik Larsen Fangroup" and a few others use the Invincifans group.
    Stefan! What's up? We should get everyone to come over and post here (I find Facebook hard to have a forum type discussion on). I've seen a few of the other Image forum regulars on here.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

How many comic book publishers still host their own forums any more?
    I know Dark Horse gave their up a little while back, and before that Marvel and DC stopped hosting any.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

Hi Stefan,

i still remember that you once sent me a few books i was missing. For free. That was very kind of you.

Are there enough Dragon fans here, so that we could keep a thread running? Walking dead has more reader than SD but the TWD Thread is dry as hell, so the answer to my question may answer itself, but still....

Still winning!

They closed their forums for 2 reasons:

1. The forums were dead. Kirkman board was active. But less than 90% of the posts on that forum was Kirkman related stuff. The second most popular board was the Savage Dragon one. But that got 1 new post per week on average. The other boards were lucky to get 1 post per month. Some people blame the rise of social media for the death of the board. However, the forum was dead even back when Bush was in office.

2. They didn't like criticism of Image products. They used to get a lot of criticism of Image products on their board. I used to see creators and fanboys arguing with dudes who expressed even mild opinions.

Basically, the board wasn't generating revenue. So why keep it going?

Sad that it is closed.
    I guess that is life.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    IMDB closed because of trolls.

Especially they targeted POC & LGBT movies, actors and actresses.

A Fantastic Four movie forum should not be 4 threads about the movie and 500 attacking/issuing death threats to Michael B Jordan and his family.

Nor a Star war TFA with threads encouraging gun violence over Finn.

If it had POC or LGBT or in some cases women-it was trolled badly. So why would you keep it open? Sooner or alter the folks who want to talk about a project will go elsewhere. Folks want to have conversations without it being a flame war. Lead by folks who NEVER bother to read the projects beyond previews.
    Pretend to be a Christian...

Tell me how it works out for you. The Internet communication is taken way to seriously. Everyone should treat it as bs and be glad for the obscure blogs and delivery services.

Quote Originally Posted by Cezar The Scribe View Post
    The IMBD forums were closed after Amazon bought the site. They didn't want to put in any effort.

Also, they didn't want the truth about movies. That's why people in Hollywood have been attacking Rotten Tomatoes for their reviews.

Hollywood has no one to blame but themselves.
    I read blogs i like, i would never trust a crowd sourced site like that.
    Last edited by Red Robe Jaldari; 10-16-2017 at 10:34 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Stefan! What's up? We should get everyone to come over and post here (I find Facebook hard to have a forum type discussion on). I've seen a few of the other Image forum regulars on here.
    Hey Capuga! I wouldn't mind seing a few of the old members come over here. I've been a member of the CBR forum for ages but hardly ever used the boards. There was rarely any talk about the books I like. I have to admit I don't read all that many books anymore. With Invincible ending there's only Savage Dragon and Astro City left on my pull list. I buy some trades and hardcovers every now and then though...

I'll try to check in more often and maybe we can tell the guys on Facebook we are here.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Hi Stefan,

i still remember that you once sent me a few books i was missing. For free. That was very kind of you.

Are there enough Dragon fans here, so that we could keep a thread running? Walking dead has more reader than SD but the TWD Thread is dry as hell, so the answer to my question may answer itself, but still....
    Oh yeah, you're in Münster, right? What did I send you? Some Maxx issues?