Page 82 of 97 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1454

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Anyone want to see the Animal Avatars concept expanded further?
    And into the other characters.

With Billy's Avatar being Tawny the Tiger (power)
    Is that from the New 52 run?

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    Yeah, that was the final battle between Shazam and Black Adam in Justice League#21

SHAZAM! #1
    written by GEOFF JOHNS
    art and cover by DALE EAGLESHAM
    backup story art by SEN

backup story art by SEN
    Also this was a huge surprise, considering how much Sen's art has been featured and praised throughout this thread.
    It's kind of great to see Sen actually woking on the book.
    Sen if you follow this thread, during the long hiatus your fun and charming art kind of kept hope alive for the character. Congratulations!
    More on the Mayo “SEN” Naito backups - https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...-shazam-comic/

Last edited by Güicho; 08-22-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

More on the Mayo “SEN” Naito backups - https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...-shazam-comic/

That would a good idea, expanding on the Shazam kids' animal avatar concept. I hope they get to go about doing just that.

Also, nice that Sen's getting to do a canon back-up story for Shazam!

A couple more from the old Who's Who series:

BANNED

I didn't see that SEN was gong to do a backup story in Shazam!! That's great; her art and passion for the character are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Even if they did have them be related, it seems as though she's older than him.

Does she read that much older then Billy?
    Maybe just more mature, they could be twins.
    Hopefully they can still be revealed as long ago separated twins.

As to the movie, Grace Fulton(Mary) is definitely older, but might be playing Mary as younger than the actress is.
    Maybe they were anticipating a growth spurt from (Asher Angel)Billy , and that in sequels they would look closer to the same age.
    And they both age up to about the same when powered.
    Actors Zachary Levi(adult Billy) & Michelle Borth(adult Mary) are abt. 2 years apart.

And she's in a foster home going by the name Bromfield, kind of defeating the contrast of her growing up with rich and loving foster/adoptive parents to contrast Billy's tough time.
    Yeah hate losing that too, although she may have been bumped from one family (the Bromfields) to a home. So by contrast knows and appreciates what it means to lose a stable home.
    While Billy never even experienced even that.
    Replying here from the other thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Mary was adopted but her adoptive parents died and she ended up back in the fostering system. It's not impossible for her real parents to have had her taken away, then Billy is born and also ends up in care. Later, they coincidentally end up in the same foster home - nobody realises they're related because Mary isn't called Batson, and they only find out the truth later. It's definitely something Johns could reveal in the new run.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing ( see above ^), there is no great conflict yet, as we don't know her entire backstory.
    She may have been bumped from one family (the Bromfield's) to the home. with the Vazquez'

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    With that reveal, the only real change would be that Mary is now older than Billy, which she wasn't in the past.
    Are you sure about that, again see above, she may only read older cause she's more mature, experienced a different life than Billy who is still dosn't want to trust anyone and is lashing out . They may be the same age.

As far as a hint that they are indeed twins....

Another hint (in story) Mary might have a greater connection to Billy than the others, being his actual sister, was the voice Billy hears in reflections. Nobody else could hear or see it, except Billy, when the kids follow him down, to find the entrance to Rock of Eternity.
    Mary actually hears the voice, she is the only one other than Billy, specifically when it's talking about family. In fact that's the word she hears.
    So yes to those complaining it wasn't revealed, I think they were setting up, that there was a greater connection with Mary, that would later be revealed, as her being his sister. There was just no reason to spell it out yet, for the reasons you indicate.
    [IMG][/IMG]

And this epic shot (although she embodies courage) definitely puts them on some equal footing as far as power,
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-25-2018 at 09:44 AM.

I know the orphans who discover they are separated twins has become a trope, Leto & Ghanima, Luke & Leia , Adam & Adora, but Billy & Mary really had it first.
    I prefer they are both orphans who discover they are long ago separated twins.
    Then he discovers he can share the power with her.
    Pretty classic tale: Although Luke & Lei and later Prince Adam & Adora have pretty much played it out, Billy and Marry had it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Billy and Mary are the Luke and Leia of Fawcett comics.
    Agree! Luke & Leia as well as Leto & Ghanima, Adam & Adora, but Billy & Mary were there first!
    Although we don't ever need the scene where the two kiss LOL
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-25-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Kon93

I don't think any of the kids who get the Shazam power given to them should be as powerful as Billy, they should stay kid size also. More Geoff trying to make things generic by making everyone on the same footing, Conner Kent and the entire emotional spectrum comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    I don't think any of the kids who get the Shazam power given to them should be as powerful as Billy,
    Not sure where yuo got that? They aren't all "just as powerful as Billy", other than flight they each appear to share mainly just one main attribute of his power.
    Pedro-Strength, Darla-Speed, Eugene-Wisdom (which doesn't even manifest the same).
    Freddy Stamina and Mary Courage are a bit more vague, particularly Mary who they seem to have hinted has a connection to the magic herself, and potentially share all the attributes.
    But John's didn't invent that those two Freddy and Mary always got all his same powers, so not sure how you blame Johns for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    More Geoff trying to make things generic by making everyone on the same footing, Conner Kent and the entire emotional spectrum comes to mind
    And Billy could always share his power with the Lieutenant Marvels. Johns didn't make that up either.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-27-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Kinda curious to see what the names for the other family members will be. [Name] Shazam?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Kinda curious to see what the names for the other family members will be. [Name] Shazam?
    There has been some fun speculation about that, since it was not really resolved in the new52 relaunch, or maybe Geoff Johns and Garry Frank hadn't fully thought out what Mary, Freddy and the new Lieutenants; Eugene, Darla and Pedro would all call themselves when transformed? But it was fun to see the kids themselves ponder this.
    The first thing Pedro asks is: "Are we "Shazams too?"

Freddy suggests wanting to be "King Shazam", that (despite the blond hair) could be a nod to his famous Elvis inspiration, or maybe they might go by chess designations: King Shazam, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, etc?
    And although they are not using Marvel, there is no reason they can't still keep Captain, and by extension expand on the others with continued Military rank designations,
    Billy would obviously still be Captain. The others have different ranks, like Lieutenant, Major, General, Admiral, etc... seems like kids would have fun with that.
    Or combine the Rank with their respective power attributes: Power, Courage, Wisdom, Strength, Stamina, Speed.

Another suggestion was just referencing their respective Deity Namesakes: Hercules, Zeus, Mercury, etc..
    Or Power-Rangers style using their colors: Red, Green, Blue, ... etc.

So far when transformed, like classic Mary they just used their personal names, among each-other.
    How that, if overheard affects their secret ID we will see...?

*queue umpteenth post or thread re-complaining about the name change. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-27-2018 at 05:33 AM.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

There has been some fun speculation about that, since it was not really resolved in the new52 relaunch, or maybe Geoff Johns and Garry Frank hadn't fully thought out what Mary, Freddy and the new Lieutenants; Eugene, Darla and Pedro would all call themselves when transformed? But it was fun to see the kids themselves ponder this.
    The first thing Pedro asks is: "Are we "Shazams too?"

Freddy suggests wanting to be "King Shazam", that (despite the blond hair) could be a nod to his famous Elvis inspiration, or maybe they might go by chess designations: King Shazam, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, etc?
    And although they are not using Marvel, there is no reason they can't still keep Captain, and by extension expand on the others with continued Military rank designations,
    Billy would obviously still be Captain. The others have different ranks, like Lieutenant, Major, General, Admiral, etc... seems like kids would have fun with that.
    Or combine the Rank with their respective power attributes: Power, Courage, Wisdom, Strength, Stamina, Speed.

Another suggestion was just referencing their respective Deity Namesakes: Hercules, Zeus, Mercury, etc..
    Or Power-Rangers style using their colors: Red, Green, Blue, ... etc.

So far when transformed, like classic Mary they just used their personal names, among each-other.

*queue umpteenth post or thread re-complaining about the name change. LOL!
    Eh, I’m actually ok with a name change, but I think the military designations would be the least awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Eh, I’m actually ok with a name change, but I think the military designations would be the least awkward.
    And although it's been dropped from the title, they can still use the military inspired ranks. Billy can still be refereed to by the others as Captain, that has never been contested.
    In fact it would follow the whimsical nature of the kids if they all called him Captain.
    And they in turn can be Lieutenants, or other ranks of their choosing, Commander, Major, etc. which would be fun for them to take on, as they become their idealized selves.
    And although not using Marvel, there is no reason they can't still keep Captain, and expand on the Military designations.
    Billy would obviously be Captain. The others like the traditional Liutenants have different added ranks.
    Yep I like that one too, been suggesting it since 2015 ^... It's one of the most natural fits since it's not even new it just expands on something already established with the Lieutenants, and is part of the already whimsical nature of the characters.
    Always nice to see someone embrace something positive.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-27-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Yep I like that one too, been suggesting it since 2015 ^... It's one of the most natural fits since it's not even new it just expands on something already established with the Lieutenants, and is part of the already whimsical nature of the characters.
    Always nice to see someone embrace something positive.
    My question after that was how to arrange names. Do we want to imply that there’s a hierarchy to the team aside from Billy as the head. After all, all three of the lieutenants were given the same title, implying the same level of authority, while Mary and Freddy never got a rank title.

In my opinion, Mary should also be Captain, while everyone else is lieutenant, but I’m open to discourse.

Which was always daft. Marvel weren't using it yet, so I think Mary should've been Miss Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    My question after that was how to arrange names. Do we want to imply that there’s a hierarchy to the team aside from Billy as the head. After all, all three of the lieutenants were given the same title, implying the same level of authority, while Mary and Freddy never got a rank title.

In my opinion, Mary should also be Captain, while everyone else is lieutenant, but I’m open to discourse.
    I don't know, my impression is the kids would have fun with it and wouldn't care or pay that much attention to the hierarchy.
    There are also parallel ranks in the different branches of Service: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy. And would most likely just playfully choose from all.
    Maybe even to somewhat whimsically play off their power attributes.

Although Freddy might arbitrarily rank himself the highest. LOL

.....Freddy suggests wanting to be "King Shazam",
    If they did all take on whimsical military ranks, it would be nice to see the lapel buttoned on one side look back for all of them.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-28-2018 at 07:27 PM.