Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Wow. That's some list.

The Bailey Peacock-Farrell information is slightly wrong. Burnley have actually signed him from Leeds United. He was on loan at York City last season.

He's a goalkeeper. Burnley have just sold Tom Heaton to Aston Villa for £8 million so it's a good time for him to come into the club.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

In my defence I relied solely on what I saw on Sky's website LOL. Still, like you say it's quite a list so I think I'm entitled to a little slip-up

Any idea on how good Bailey Peacock-Farrell is? I've never seen him personally so can't comment.

Also, mixed results for the British clubs in Europe tonight. Rangers won 4-2 at Midjytlland and Wolves won 4-0 at Pyunik but Aberdeen lost 2-0 at Riga and TNS got hammered 5-0 at Ludogorets.

Also, I won't add this to the list but David Luiz has joined Arsenal from Chelsea, Alex Iwobi has left Arsenal for Everton, Sheffield United have signed Muhamed Besic on loan from Everton, Meritan Shabani has joined Wolves from Bayern Munich, Southampton's Harrison Reed has gone on out on loan to Fulham, Leicester have signed Dennis Praet from Sampdoria for 18m and Andy Carroll has rejoined Newcastle on a free.

I think they're all the late Premier League transfers that I missed out earlier LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    In my defence I relied solely on what I saw on Sky's website LOL. Still, like you say it's quite a list so I think I'm entitled to a little slip-up

Any idea on how good Bailey Peacock-Farrell is? I've never seen him personally so can't comment.
    Oh, I didn't think the error was yours John. I kind of knew that it will have originated from wherever you were pulling the information from, which turned out to be Sky. I probably should have explained that. Soz.

I can't comment on Bailey Peacock-Farrell either as I've never seen him play. That's some name that he's got though. Burnley have done well with their keepers in recent years. Heaton was probably one of the best keepers in the clubs history and, as an understudy, Pope has shown massive potential. I was actually talking to a couple of Burnley fans in the pub last night and they'd like to see Pope promoted to first choice keeper over Hart.

Just going back to that list again, it will be interesting to see how Aston Villa fare this season back in the Premier League.

That is one serious amount of money doled out on new players for a freshly promoted club. There has been a huge turnover in playing staff there. This new squad will have to gel pretty quickly to justify that kind of outlay.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Oh, I didn't think the error was yours John. I kind of knew that it will have originated from wherever you were pulling the information from, which turned out to be Sky. I probably should have explained that. Soz.

I can't comment on Bailey Peacock-Farrell either as I've never seen him play. That's some name that he's got though. Burnley have done well with their keepers in recent years. Heaton was probably one of the best keepers in the clubs history and, as an understudy, Pope has shown massive potential. I was actually talking to a couple of Burnley fans in the pub last night and they'd like to see Pope promoted to first choice keeper over Hart.
    No need to apologise, I didn't take it personally or anything.

As for the whole Pope being promoted over Hart thing I'd have to agree with those Burnley fans. It's amazing how much Hart's stock has dropped in just a few short years.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Just going back to that list again, it will be interesting to see how Aston Villa fare this season back in the Premier League.

That is one serious amount of money doled out on new players for a freshly promoted club. There has been a huge turnover in playing staff there. This new squad will have to gel pretty quickly to justify that kind of outlay.
    And, yeah it'll be interesting to see how Villa do. I'll make a bit of a bold prediction as far they're concerned. I'm going for...12th. Bang on 12th LOL.

Speaking of transfers I'm more than a little surprised at the amount spent on Iwobi by Everton. He has potential but I don't believe he's worth anywhere near that amount personally.

Just watched the goals from last night's European games for the British clubs and TNS were woeful at the back. Having said that, Ludogorets have a player called Tchibota who scored twice and looked like a dangerous player in the highlights. Also, if I were an Aberdeen fan I'd be ranting about the penalty for the first goal by Riga as basically the ref got conned by a blatant dive that wouldn't look out of place in the diving pool arenas. Wolves looked good in their 4-0 win last night as well with Jota getting three assists. And Stevie G will be reasonably happy though I don't think he'd have been too pleased with Rangers letting Midjtylland get two goals back after going 3-0 ahead before winning the match 4-2.

I've seen the first incident tonight where VAR has spoiled the flow of a game rather than enhanced it. You'd think that decisions made by VAR would be foolproof. Not so.

Cesc Fabregas was sent off tonight for Monaco in their opening game of the French season versus Olympique Lyon. It was never a red card and wouldn't have been given by the referee had VAR not interceded. Not good omens.

Monaco have been poor overall, bad refereeing decisions or not. They are currently 0-3 down with five minutes still to play. The game stopped being a contest long ago.

As for the whole Pope being promoted over Hart thing I'd have to agree with those Burnley fans. It's amazing how much Hart's stock has dropped in just a few short years.
    I don't think he ever recovered from being in that godawful Head & Shoulders advert .

Hart got some serious terrace stick about that actually. Some of the chants aimed in his direction were quite amusing. To the tune of that old 2 Unlimited song:

No, no
    No, no, no, no
    No, no, no, no
    No, no, there's no dandruff.

And the like.

Oh god yeah, I nearly forgot about that! I think that's a classic case of a footballer getting too caught up in the hype about him. I know you were teasing but I do think that's a serious point in terms of where it started for him in terms of going downhill.

Oh, and of course I have to mention Liverpool tonight. 4-1 win at Anfield against Norwich, top of the league (for tonight at least ) hopefully Becker's injury isn't too bad but on the plus side Adrian did fine on his unexpected debut. Salah got off the mark and got an assist too, Van Dijk got a goal, Origi got one and forced an own goal and Alexander-Arnold and Firmino both got an assist each.

Norwich played some nice football and got a deserved goal via Pukki. Overall I was quite pleased with the performance given it's the first game of the season and all that.

One thing did annoy me though. Jamie Carragher. My god he's a terrible commentator. He's that bad that I'd actually prefer listening to Gary Neville. At least Gary talks some sense and is actually a decent pundit. Worst moment for Jamie's commentary was when Van Dijk, who scored six goals last season which is brilliant for a CB, scored and then immediately afterwards Jamie said Virgil should get MORE goals LOL. This coming from a guy who didn't score many goals during his career LOL. Hell, I think he only scored four times

Jamie was one of my favourites as a player but I do NOT like him as a pundit.

Rant over LOL.

Extraordinary Member

Oh god yeah, I nearly forgot about that! I think that's a classic case of a footballer getting too caught up in the hype about him. I know you were teasing but I do think that's a serious point in terms of where it started for him in terms of going downhill.

Oh, and of course I have to mention Liverpool tonight. 4-1 win at Anfield against Norwich, top of the league (for tonight at least ) hopefully Becker's injury isn't too bad but on the plus side Adrian did fine on his unexpected debut. Salah got off the mark and got an assist too, Van Dijk got a goal, Origi got one and forced an own goal and Alexander-Arnold and Firmino both got an assist each.

Norwich played some nice football and got a deserved goal via Pukki. Overall I was quite pleased with the performance given it's the first game of the season and all that.

One thing did annoy me though. Jamie Carragher. My god he's a terrible commentator. He's that bad that I'd actually prefer listening to Gary Neville. At least Gary talks some sense and is actually a decent pundit. Worst moment for Jamie's commentary was when Van Dijk, who scored six goals last season which is brilliant for a CB, scored and then immediately afterwards Jamie said Virgil should get MORE goals LOL. This coming from a guy who didn't score many goals during his career LOL. Hell, I think he only scored four times

Rant over LOL.
    Carragher just amps it up for the TV. He's alright. Nowhere near as bad as Michael Owen can be.

Norwich may play well but I worry that they'll be outplayed by a lot of teams.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Here in the States, the Premier League is back on NBCSN with West Ham hosting Man City! WHOO!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

At least Carragher's managed to keep his phlegm to himself so far this weekend.

Things were going well for Motherwell earlier this afternoon. They were playing well against Celtic and actually took a deserved lead after 11 minutes.....

Man City starting their season as expected. They'll be top of the league for the rest of the season now lol.

Derby v Swansea today. A few of our new signings are in the squad with Woodman starting in goal and Kalulu starting up front. I'm looking forward to see what he can do. Peterson and Surridge are on the bench but I expect at least Peterson to come on at some point this afternoon.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Extraordinary Member

Great result for us today. So happy that Kane is firing. Bit odd that Jan was left out, but Eriksen showed why we need him to sign.