Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Good movies with crappy endings/Crappy movies with GOOD endings?

Crap ending : Just Cause (1995) a sympathetic character suddenly goes nasty and a good movie nosedives..

Crap movie good ending : AVP (2004). All but one of the annoying humans are killed and Pred and Alien Queen battle it out...

and YOUR Mix of good and bad?

Identity with John Cusack. Well made, taut, compelling movie...that ruins its own ending by revealing the twist JUST before the ending and making the ending pretty much pointless. Would have been awesome if they'd had the twist revealed AFTER the climax.

Mighty Member

I Bury the Living (1958)
    Guy working in cemetery has a map of the burial grounds. Reserved areas are marked with white pins. Graves of the dead are marked with black pins. He notices when the white pins are randomly replaced with black ones people start dying. What happens if he puts white pins on the black areas? "The movie turns to sh** " is what Stephen King remarked. A cop-out scooby-doo ending undermines a compelling movie that could have given us zombies 10 years before night of the living dead...

Mighty Member

I Bury the Living (1958)
    Guy working in cemetery has a map of the burial grounds. Reserved areas are marked with white pins. Graves of the dead are marked with black pins. He notices when the white pins are randomly replaced with black ones people start dying. What happens if he puts white pins on the black areas? "The movie turns to sh** " is what Stephen King remarked. A cop-out scooby-doo ending undermines a compelling movie that could have given us zombies 10 years before night of the living dead...

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

The most obvious bad ending of a good movie I can think of is the 1956 version of The Bad Seed, about a murderous little girl who's the daughter of a serial killer. In the book and play the film was based on, the little girl gets away with her crimes. That wasn't allowed by the Hays Code, so the movie literally ends with a bolt from the blue.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Mighty Member

Doomsday (2006) : a Mad Max/Escape from New York clone that's a bit derivative of these films. It DOES have a thrilling car chase escape scene as the heroine races down the highway with the crazy bad guys chasing her while "When two tribes go to war" plays but by then it is too late to save the movie.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Good movie/Bad ending = A Cure for Wellness;

Bad movie/Good ending = Superman II (Super-kiss to make Lois forget he slept with her).

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Good movie/Bad ending = A Cure for Wellness;

Bad movie/Good ending = Superman II (Super-kiss to make Lois forget he slept with her).
    Um did you get those good movies good ending mixed up? Seems like it should be the other way around...
    Last edited by choptop; 08-08-2018 at 11:16 PM.

While I can see why folks would disagree...

Crappy Film/Good Ending: Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

Good movie-bad ending: Empire Strikes Back. The Darth Vader I am your father bit is great but then it's really anti-climatic and leaves plot threads floating about. I'm also tempted to put Raiders Of The Lost Ark on as well, by the time the end comes up about you realise nothing he did mattered, it would have been the exact same result if he stayed at the college teaching, however the face melting looked great tho.

Bad movie-good ending: Thor Dark World, I loved how bonkers the ending was and Loki pretending to be Odin was a great tease in an otherwise dull film.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Bad movie/good ending: Apocalypto. An hour and a quarter of rather generic swords and sandals filmed in ancient Mayan with subtitles sets up one of the best on foot chase sequences ever filmed, and drops a total bomb in the final scene.
    Last edited by SteveGus; 08-09-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes" - Enjoyable movie ruined by the "What the hell?" ending.

Cloverfield Paradox - Not really a good movie, average space faring movie, but what the hell was some city eating monster doing there at the end?

Can't really think of any crappy movies saved by the ending.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes" - Enjoyable movie ruined by the "What the hell?" ending.
    Has the ending ever been explained?

Cloverfield Paradox - Not really a good movie, average space faring movie, but what the hell was some city eating monster doing there at the end?
    It's the same kinda monster as the one from Cloverfield having crossed over because of what they did.

It's the same kinda monster as the one from Cloverfield having crossed over because of what they did.