Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I'm wondering why Peter Parker needs a bodyguard, let alone two. Spidey i get, but why Mockingbird?
    Because the nature of the work done by Parker's company--like openly working with Spider-Man and mayor Jameson to surb superhuman crime in NYC, depowering Electro, helping develop a cure for the Goblin formula, developing a new supervillain prison--puts him in the crosshairs of supercriminals looking to curtail their work or enact revenge. But now that Peter is the high-profile, media-centric head of a major tech corporation--as opposed to being a half-broke freelance photographer that nobody gives a damn about--he doesn't have the luxury of dropping everything at a moment's notice and disappearing to become Spider-Man, if some teched up, costumed whack job attacks him in the middle of a TV interview or a stockholders meeting. So having a visible, high-profile protector gives him cover to fend off the actual attack as it occurs. And, if the attacker manages to escape the initial confrontation, then he and his "bodyguard" can team up later--after the cameras and observers have gone--to track the bad guy down and finish him off.

So, basically, Mockingbird is Peter's beard. Another reason why this sounds like a bad idea.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Did Peter and Sajani ever date? If not, why not?
    Sajani hates him?

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    As the sidekick to a hero in a book not known for it's awesome treatment of female characters recently (aside from those created by the current writer)?
    When was the last time a Marvel book had a legit "sidekick"? Alpha wasn't even a sidekick.
    You have a point about the nod to Black Cat but I'll wait and see how this goes. I still say this is better for her profile than sixth string on an Avengers team.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    You have a point about the nod to Black Cat but I'll wait and see how this goes. I still say this is better for her profile than sixth string on an Avengers team.
    Writers on team books generally make an effort to give all of the characters some kind of spotlight or focus over the course of a run. But whatever you call Mockingbird's role--bodyguard, sidekick, partner, beard--at the end of the day, this is Spider-Man's book and the focus is going to be on him. Everyone else will live in the margins.

BANNED

double post

When was the last time a Marvel book had a legit "sidekick"? Alpha wasn't even a sidekick.
    Spidey related.

Agent Venom and Mania?

Kaine and Aracely?

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Because the nature of the work done by Parker's company--like openly working with Spider-Man and mayor Jameson to surb superhuman crime in NYC, depowering Electro, helping develop a cure for the Goblin formula, developing a new supervillain prison--puts him in the crosshairs of supercriminals looking to curtail their work or enact revenge. But now that Peter is the high-profile, media-centric head of a major tech corporation--as opposed to being a half-broke freelance photographer that nobody gives a damn about--he doesn't have the luxury of dropping everything at a moment's notice and disappearing to become Spider-Man, if some teched up, costumed whack job attacks him in the middle of a TV interview or a stockholders meeting. So having a visible, high-profile protector gives him cover to fend off the actual attack as it occurs. And, if the attacker manages to escape the initial confrontation, then he and his "bodyguard" can team up later--after the cameras and observers have gone--to track the bad guy down and finish him off.

So, basically, Mockingbird is Peter's beard. Another reason why this sounds like a bad idea.
    When did he do all that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    When did he do all that?
    Most of it happened during Superior Spider-man

Writers on team books generally make an effort to give all of the characters some kind of spotlight or focus over the course of a run. But whatever you call Mockingbird's role--bodyguard, sidekick, partner, beard--at the end of the day, this is Spider-Man's book and the focus is going to be on him. Everyone else will live in the margins.
    Except you know, when he's under control by one of his arch-enemies for a year or so.

Concerning Mockingbird: becoming a part of the Spider-Man mythos > being an Avenger as she's always been. Spread your wings, little birdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Agent Venom and Mania?

Kaine and Aracely?
    Are you just making up words or what
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 09-29-2015 at 06:19 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Concerning Mockingbird: becoming a part of the Spider-Man mythos > being an Avenger as she's always been. Spread your wings, little birdy.
    Mockingbird is getting her own title. I imagine that decision is going to greatly impact how she is being used in Spider-Man.

I liked the relationship between Kaine and Aracely.

BANNED

Except you know, when he's under control by one of his arch-enemies for a year or so.
    There is no "exception." Even when Peter was replaced by Octavious, it was still Spider-Man's book. Just a different version of Spider-Man, just like the current Thor or Captain America books or the upcoming Wolverine or Hulk books.

Concerning Mockingbird: becoming a part of the Spider-Man mythos > being an Avenger as she's always been.
    Tell that to Flash Thompson. Or Norman Osborne. Hell, even MJ. There seems to be a bit of history of Spider-Man backup characters going on to greener pastures in other books.
    Last edited by kalorama; 09-29-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Tell that to Flash Thompson. Or Norman Osborne. Hell, even MJ. There seems to be a bit of history of Spider-Man backup characters going on to greener pastures in other books.

...which hasn't exactly been to the benefit of Spidey's book at times, I think. xD

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Mockingbird is getting her own title. I imagine that decision is going to greatly impact how she is being used in Spider-Man.

I liked the relationship between Kaine and Aracely.
    I think that Kaine and Moondragon would have been far more interesting. While seeing Mockingbird in Spider-Man's world is interesting. it might have been an interesting twist to have seen The Black Widow or Jessica Drew in the mix as Peter's personal bodyguard. The same could be said for Jennifer Walters as Peter's Legal Adviser and Greer Grant as Crime Scene Investigator whose following up on the lead that Carlie Cooper had left off, which is to prove that Parker Industries is Doc Ock's plan to control the world via the nanites.

It might be pretty cool if Peter in public is a LMD. It would save Peter's body and help protect anyone he knows if his apperance in public isn't really him. Villians have attacked Peter plenty of times while he wasn't in costume.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Did Peter and Sajani ever date? If not, why not?
    Erm, no. She HATES him and thinks he's an idiot.

I can't vouch for Venom as I didn't follow his solo book but Kaine had a sidekick in Aracely.