Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Earth's Mightiest Hero RafDanvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I'd rather Betsy stay in her current Asian body and don't expect that to change...
    we're 2
    My heroines: Captain Marvel Psylocke

my pull list: The Mighty Captain Marvel - Ultimates 2 - Uncanny X-Men *I run @captmarvelnews and @psylockenews on Twitter! Join us!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Did I mention the Space Bullet came equipped with CATV and a fully functioning life support/carbon dioxide scrubber to aide in Kitty's predestine survival?
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I never got around to finishing the Ord World stuff.

One thing that people always forget about mainstream comics, where your universe is beyond fantastic. ANYTHING can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime21 View Post
    Though is the idea of mind-transferral that terrible and racist here or is it the follow-up execution?
    This is precisely the right question to ask.

The answer is no, it isn't, but some previous writers have lumped in a load of racial stereotypes along with the physical transformation. The current writers are no more responsible for those writer's past transgressions than Obama is responsible for the actions of Richard Nixon. If having been written badly in the past was grounds alone for a concept to be axed, the entire X-Men should have been scrapped completely following Grant Morrison/Chuck Austen/Matt Fraction/Brian Michael Bendis' run [delete according to your personal preferences and dislikes].

Spectacular Member dark phoenix's Avatar

Like I said, all this would have been no problem if Claremont had just showed his diversity and just made her the half asian half british mutant daughter of Sir James Braddock. Simple Marvel- stop with the convoluted stories. It doesnt make you look smart its just stupid. But right now its too late to backtrack and fix all this
    Then they would have to make Captain Britain half Asian too as they are twins and there is no where that he has ever been shown to even be remotely Asian.
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!"

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelGuy View Post
    we're 2
    Make it 3

I don't see any problem there. I mean just google for pictures of Psylocke and look at the results. Her looks and her ninja skills and style ARE the defining trait of the character. Take that away and what do you have left? Just another white female TK/TP user.
    Feel free to complain about it as much as you like. I won't stop you but it's undeniable that this stuff makes Psylocke unique and I can speak only for myself here but I would lose interest in the character should that ever be taken away.
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Make it 3

I don't see any problem there. I mean just google for pictures of Psylocke and look at the results. Her looks and her ninja skills and style ARE the defining trait of the character. Take that away and what do you have left? Just another white female TK/TP user.
    Feel free to complain about it as much as you like. I won't stop you but it's undeniable that this stuff makes Psylocke unique and I can speak only for myself here but I would lose interest in the character should that ever be taken away.
    Sorry you feel that way. She can keep everything. Just lose the racial crap. Even if people who dislike Kwannon will still dislike her. She should be the asian cultural, physical, and sadly stereotypical aspect of Psylocke. Let Betsy Braddock be who she was born as, correct the race stuff, and keep her fighting skills and abilities. It's really not that hard.

Ultimate Member

She may have been partially a stereotype at the start but I've never viewed her that way, besides which she ditched the thong years ago and if anything at times the English accent in an Asian body makes her unique, makes her stand out visually so that you notice her, otherwise she's just another tp/tk user with her only distinguishing feature being her hair color. Just dump another soul into the old body, use the Revanche name and make her a new character in her own right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    She may have been partially a stereotype at the start but I've never viewed her that way, besides which she ditched the thong years ago and if anything at times the English accent in an Asian body makes her unique, makes her stand out visually so that you notice her, otherwise she's just another tp/tk user with her only distinguishing feature being her hair color. Just dump another soul into the old body, use the Revanche name and make her a new character in her own right.
    Do you know how many Asian born British citizens speak with a flawless English accent?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 08-17-2015 at 02:02 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dark phoenix View Post
    Then they would have to make Captain Britain half Asian too as they are twins and there is no where that he has ever been shown to even be remotely Asian.
    No they wouldn't. They could just make him her brother and not a twin which is not a big deal as far stories anyway. I'd much rather have that then her convoluted backstory now

BANNED

No they wouldn't. They could just make him her brother and not a twin which is not a big deal as far stories anyway. I'd much rather have that then her convoluted backstory now
    And, what part of "white" Betsy's backstory do find convoluted?

BANNED

And, what part of "white" Betsy's backstory do find convoluted?
    Awww!Come on!! Dont be one of those Marvel apologist that think everything is " Gold, Jerry!!! Gold". If I have to explain it to you..... you know what its so convoluted that I cant.

BANNED

Awww!Come on!! Dont be one of those Marvel apologist that think everything is " Gold, Jerry!!! Gold". If I have to explain it to you..... you know what its so convoluted that I cant.
    Perhaps, it's because (canonically) they started off as twins --

-- and Betsy's purple hair has always been a dye job?

BANNED

Perhaps, it's because (canonically) they started off as twins --

-- and Betsy's purple hair has always been a dye job?
    like I said. It would have been easier if this didnt happen. Thats not to say they can go back and change it. But really in that scan he's responding to his sister. It says nothing of them being twins, though i know that to be true as well. You might want to post another scan to prove that point to those that dont know.

Of course I could really screw shit up and make even more convoluted by saying that Betsy always was half asian half british and she just used her telepathy to project herself to everyone as British. That could really ruffle some feathers dont you think. lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelGuy View Post
    we're 2
    We're three!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Make it 3

I too would have no interest in Psylocke without the ninja aspect. Her looks and her ninja aspects (including the psychic knife and psychic katana define her).

And blond British Psylocke was a stereotype too. She was the second girl girl blond telepath created by Claremont (he created Emma Frost). Claremont had created a lot of women who had some degree of telepathic power (add Karma and Moonstar to this). These women had no defense against physical attacks should someone be able to resist their psychic powers.

I think writers including Claremont himself had problems with the limited utility of these women. So Psylocke became a ninja and gained physical fighting skills while Emma Frost got a superstrong diamond form. Psylocke later got tk added to the mix and became an even better physical fighter.

We'll never see British Betsy back because she was physically too useless. She was the only X-Man to ever have to wear armor.

Take a look at other tp/tks.

Jean Grey, even Jeen has basic fighting skills. And of course with her tk she can fight offensively and defend herself.

Monet is superstrong, flies, durable, and has tp/tk.

Emma Frost and her Cuckoos have their superstrong diamond forms.

Rachel like Jean has both tp and tk. Rachel's a pretty good physical fighter. Not Psylocke good but she is good enough.

There's no place for a female psychic on the team who can't fight when all the others can.