Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    The Thundercats theme is one of TV's best. I mean, ever. And you are right, its theme outshone the show.

I may start an additional thread but will send out a nod to this one since it got me thinkin'
    Nice. And what are your opinions about the others?

The X-Men and Spider-man ones. I think both were really good shows in comparison to Thundercats. But just as your examples like Top Gun, i don't think they have aged so well, while the themes stay popular. To be fair i haven't watched Top Gun to say something like that. And Mortal Kombat? I think the track is really good and energetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    This is a great thread idea. Music in TV and film is one of the things I really pay attention to. IMO, movies and TV can reach another level of quality based on scores and themes. I talk about this stuff all the time with my friends and it is a point of disbelief when some say that they don't really notice the music in TV and movies.

Some of my favourite movie and TV composers:

Hans Zimmer (Inception, Man of Steel, The Dark Knight)
    Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones, Iron Man, Pacific Rim)
    Alan Silvestri (Back to the Future, Predator, Cast Away)
    Michael Giacchino (Lost, Up, Star Trek)

Some composers whose work is so precious, but is very underrated:

Greg Edmonson of Firefly fame. I own the soundtrack of both the TV show and the movie Serenity. Greg Edmonson, IMO, understood Firefly like no one truly can. His scores throughout the episodes of Firefly is still stuff that can just be listened to over and over.

Steve Jablonsky of Transformers soundtrack fame. He wins a place as one of my favourite composers on the basis of themes like Sentinel Prime, The All-Spark and No Sacrifice, No Victory alone.

Patrick Doyle, for his work on movies like Thor and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. In fact, I felt that the music of Rise of the Planet of the Apes plays a really strong part in why I like it the most of the trilogy.

I didn't want to mention John Williams, just because he's a legend. His contribution is just on an epic level!
    Nice that you like the thread.

I was also not paying much attention earlier. But since i am a superhero film fan, i started looking up music to hear them. That's one way to remember a film you love. And gradually one after another i could find a lot of gems.

This thread can even be full of recommendations. Flash gave the Hans Zimmer Live on Netflix. And now you have started mentioning some nice composers whom i had not noticed before. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I LOVE James Horner!!!!! He knew how to capture and write emotions better than anyone.
    Our list of favorite composers is quite similar.

I really enjoy Hans Zimmer outside of his work for Chris Nolan. Me personally, I don’t much care for his Nolan scores as they are more effect and sound driven rather than driven by melodic content. I said this up above if you are a fan of Zimmer, watch his Live From Prague concert on Netflix! Phenomenal!

Thanks for mentioning Zimmer's Live From Prague on Netflix.

I agree about you to an extent about Zimmer's music for Nolan. They are more sound driven rather then melody. I still love to hear them from time to time. Dark Knight trilogy's music is pretty good. Its definitely not as good as the Elfman theme. But i still get a kick out of it.

But Man of Steel is exceptional in my opinion. Man of Steel is one which i think rivals the original. It sounds like sacrilege even to me. But its just so good. There are a couple of nice ones there which i don't hear a number of times but are really good.

And i shall start checking out other composer's music. Quite a number of them have been mentioned so far in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post

I agree about you to an extent about Zimmer's music for Nolan. They are more sound driven rather then melody. I still love to hear them from time to time. Dark Knight trilogy's music is pretty good. Its definitely not as good as the Elfman theme. But i still get a kick out of it.

But Man of Steel is exceptional in my opinion. Man of Steel is one which i think rivals the original. It sounds like sacrilege even to me. But its just so good. There are a couple of nice ones there which i don't hear a number of times but are really good.

And i shall start checking out other composer's music. Quite a number of them have been mentioned so far in this thread.
    For whatever reason when he collarborates with Chris Nolan that is the direction they go in. Other than that his scores are wonderful. I have been listening to some of his early music that is a lot of fun! Driving Miss Daisy and The Prince of Egpty.

I’ve also been on a big Brian Tyler kick lately. Now You See Me 2 is a lot of fun as well as the scores he wrote for several superhero films, Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron , and Power Rangers.

You should definitely check out James Horner if you have not! Here are a few of my favorite Horner scores:
    The Rocketeer
    The Perfect Storm
    The Mask of Zorro
    Legends of The Fall
    Aliens
    Star Trek: The Wrath of Kahn.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 03-12-2018 at 04:39 AM.

I LOVE James Horner!!!!! He knew how to capture and write emotions better than anyone.
    Our list of favorite composers is quite similar.

I really enjoy Hans Zimmer outside of his work for Chris Nolan. Me personally, I don’t much care for his Nolan scores as they are more effect and sound driven rather than driven by melodic content. I said this up above if you are a fan of Zimmer, watch his Live From Prague concert on Netflix! Phenomenal!
    I am in Canada, so I don't know for sure if the Canadian Netflix has the same content as American, but I will look for it. I really think Hans Zimmer makes the best musical scores in film now.

I'll be honest, the stuff from Zimmer I remember are not mainly from Christopher Nolan movies. His stuff from Gladiator is just absolutely awesome. How can anyone forget "Now We Are Free"? "Flight" from Man of Steel? There was a day when I heard that track about 25 times. Although, there is one piece from Inception that I think is absolutely beautiful. I am linking it below. In the context of the movie, the score is absolutely perfect. By itself...it's still just amazing.

Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

That's kind of what I'm hoping for. I'm always on the lookout for a composer who is not as well known.

Another contribution. I initially thought this was by James Newton Howard, but it's Antonio Pinto:

Last edited by Arfguy; 03-12-2018 at 07:07 PM. Reason: incorrect credit

@Arfguy

I looked up Greg Edmondson and didn’t realize he was the one who scored the Uncharted video game series. I LOVE the music to those games!

BANNED

And this might be controversial, but i think X-Men: Animated Series has not aged well. I loved that as a kid. But now its animation looks quite dated. I tried watching some episodes a while ago, and i was bored. No offence to its fans but i think X-Men Evolution is much better. But it can't be denied that the X-Men theme is awesome. And since i wanted to post about my favorite themes from cartoon shows here it is.

For me its aged very well in story telling but yeah the animation is overall very dated. that opening tune is the stuff of brilliance.
    Last edited by Sandfall; 03-13-2018 at 06:34 AM.

I watched, “Hans Zimmer Live From Prague” last night on NetFlix, and it was PHENOMENAL!!! I would highly recommend watching it.
    Dude, that was a great recommendation. I honestly did not think I'd find it in Netflix, but sure enough there it was. I checked it out last night. I watched it on my 42" TV, but now I have to watch it at a friend's house or something for the surround sound experience.

The highlight was definitely when they did the main theme for Gladiator. Low-point was obviously Electro. I really hate that score. I legit picture an 80s TV show about a superhero when I hear it. If they were playing that score in My Secret Identity for a goofy villain, it would not be at all out of place.

I was also a little bit disappointed that "Time" was not among the setlist. There was one score that was played before the Pirates theme that sounded like it was from Sherlock Holmes, but I couldn't place it. Is there somewhere that talks about what scores were played in order?

Once again, great recommendation. I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Dude, that was a great recommendation. I honestly did not think I'd find it in Netflix, but sure enough there it was. I checked it out last night. I watched it on my 42" TV, but now I have to watch it at a friend's house or something for the surround sound experience.

The highlight was definitely when they did the main theme for Gladiator. Low-point was obviously Electro. I really hate that score. I legit picture an 80s TV show about a superhero when I hear it. If they were playing that score in My Secret Identity for a goofy villain, it would not be at all out of place.

I was also a little bit disappointed that "Time" was not among the setlist. There was one score that was played before the Pirates theme that sounded like it was from Sherlock Holmes, but I couldn't place it. Is there somewhere that talks about what scores were played in order?

Once again, great recommendation. I loved it.
    YES!!! Glad you enjoyed! I loved how he recorchestrated some of his music to make it more of a rock experience. Here are the pieces in order:
    Driving Miss Daisy
    Discombobulate from Sherlock Holmes
    Zoosters Breakout from Madagascar
    Crimson Tide
    160 BPM- Angels and Demons
    Gladiator Medley
    The DaVinci Code
    The Lion King Medley
    Pirates Medley (mostly from 2 and 3)
    You’re So Cool- True Romance
    Man of Steel
    Journey to the Line- Thin Red Line
    Dark Knight Medley
    Aurora
    Interstellar Medley
    Inception Medley

@Arfguy

I looked up Greg Edmondson and didn’t realize he was the one who scored the Uncharted video game series. I LOVE the music to those games!
    HAH. I didn't know that, either. I've played Uncharted 1 & 2, but never took note of the music. I guess I'll have to take a listen again.

YES!!! Glad you enjoyed! I loved how he recorchestrated some of his music to make it more of a rock experience. Here are the pieces in order:
    Driving Miss Daisy
    Discombobulate from Sherlock Holmes
    Zoosters Breakout from Madagascar
    Crimson Tide
    160 BPM- Angels and Demons
    Gladiator Medley
    The DaVinci Code
    The Lion King Medley
    Pirates Medley (mostly from 2 and 3)
    You’re So Cool- True Romance
    Man of Steel
    Journey to the Line- Thin Red Line
    Dark Knight Medley
    Aurora
    Interstellar Medley
    Inception Medley
    WOW! Thanks again. That is a great list and definitely explains why quite a few scores sounded familiar, even though I didn't know where I'd heard them.

Just because I don't want this thread to get lost in the shuffle: the opening theme from Westworld (HBO TV), by Ramin Djawadi

This is probably one of my favorite cues in film music. This scene is brilliantly timed and I love how Alan Silvestri weaves the theme in and out.

This is probably one of my favorite cues in film music. This scene is brilliantly timed and I love how Alan Silvestri weaves the theme in and out.
    Honestly, some say that BttF, Part III is the weakest, but this is one of my favourite trilogies and I absolutely love part III.

This theme? Absolutely awesome!

I think all three films are enjoyable. In my opinion, the third the least enjoyable and honestly can't even begin to describe the 1st. The theme rocks. Real hard. I don't hear them like music, as i do with some of my favorites but awesome nonetheless.

I think all three films are enjoyable. In my opinion, the third the least enjoyable and honestly can't even begin to describe the 1st. The theme rocks. Real hard. I don't hear them like music, as i do with some of my favorites but awesome nonetheless.
    The first movie is just pure cinematic magic. It's just perfection. There is not a single thing about Back to the Future that I can fault. I love that slow theme playing in the background after George has his defining moment with Biff that changed the trajectory of Marty's life. It's just...fucking magic, man.