Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

If you're observing people liking things like Joker and the MCU more than the recent Superman movies, that just speaks to issues with the films more than the character.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Ouch. Apparently the Shadow has an upcoming series of Novels by James Patterson. I'd take that over a CW show or a Zak Snyder solo movie for the character. Also the Shadow had a good movie in the 90s and was written by Garth Ennis among others in the last decade. Again... ouch but at least Shadow is not milk toast like Clark Kent.
    Which has nothing to do with anything I said. The Shadow's popularity or relevance cannot be compared to Superman's.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Taylor wants to write main Superman comic-series someday, he expressed that couple of times.
    And regarding Elseworlds, it is also important that there is a demand for it. Injustice became huge bestseller, DCeased also is a huge hit. People seemingly prefer that type of stories, where everything can happen. And Taylor just that type of writer, who really can write huge blockbusters like that. But I don’t think that he will write exactly this forever, sooner or later someone will have to invite him to write an important series. Perhaps this will be Superman, given that this is his dream, as he himself said.
    Important series? That's suggesting that highly talked about, profitable, with a lot of fans, stories he's been doing isn't important just because it isn't in the mainline continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    CW Superman isn't good, but its a far lesser evil than the games and what Snyder Superman turned into. If anything CW Superman will just exacerbate the idea that Superman is boring. And honestly he's been fighting that label for many decades now, unfortunately.
    I think CW Superman will benefit a lot from finally being away from Kara. I know you're not enthused about married Superman with kids, but I think whether he comes off as boring within that setting will depend more on the execution rather than it being a sure-fire way of making him come off boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, we know Ted Grant shows up in the Injustice 2 comic so he lives to the 21st century.
    I'd love to get to play Ted Grant in Injustice 3 .

As for taking Superman out of the comics for a few years? No. Just because of one alternate universe evil version and writers not writing him as a dynamic man of action in the team ups and big event series? No, that's not helpful at all. And mainline Superman is never going to be relegated to just a Batman rogue because of one freaking Elseworld. Some fans, seriously. I haven't read it, but hasn't Metal and Death Metal revealed a whole multiverse of evil Batmen? Should he be taken out of the comics before becoming a JL rogue?

Send some fan letters and emails to DC asking for more and better Superman content without bashing Injustice, buy Superman Smashes the Klan for you and everyone you know who you can get to read it, stop arguing over Synder's DCEU Superman and helping keep it in the zeitgeist, buy the Superman Man of Tomorrow movie coming up in droves because it looks freaking amazing, and maybe try and flood the internet with talk about the modern Superman stuff you do love like Smashes the Klan, Man of Tomorrow if it lives up to the trailers, Man and Superman, All Star, etc, instead of how awful everything Supers related is. And maybe if the Superman fandom isn't all woe and misery we can get the big guy on an upwards trajectory pop culture wise.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Ouch. Apparently the Shadow has an upcoming series of Novels by James Patterson. I'd take that over a CW show or a Zak Snyder solo movie for the character. Also the Shadow had a good movie in the 90s and was written by Garth Ennis among others in the last decade. Again... ouch but at least Shadow is not milk toast like Clark Kent.
    Really? Well I'll probably grab the first one at least. Love those old pulp heroes.

And I don't think we can truly compare Superman's situation to the likes of the Shadow or Zorro or the Phantom. These guys arrived a few years before Clark (the Shadow in 1930-31) and were largely forgotten within a few decades. Yeah, they're still around thanks to publishers like IDW and the occasional film, but they were never the cultural powerhouse that Superman is, nor have they lasted so long in the public eye.

Yes, Superman is in decline and has been for thirty years, so he has that in common with the pulp heroes right now. But that's a thin bridge to build a comparison on. Superman is a global icon and one of the most recognized figures in all of fiction. The pulp heroes barely survived their original era and are largely non-entities most non-geeks have forgotten about. We're comparing apples and oranges here.

I'd love to see what Taylor could do with the main universe Superman. Injustice is supposed to be a broken, messed up story with broken, messed up characters. It's not like Taylor would write the same thing in he were on Action Comics.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Any hype I would have had was deflated once I read "Injustice."

Hope you lads enjoy it, but I'm already out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

I was out since Year 4 and i haven't even played Injustice 2, whatever that universe is doing now, i'm indifferent.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Really, what make superman different from characters like phantom, tarzan, flash gordon, heman.. Etc? I don't see it.I was'nt being hyperbolic,either.Popularity is a fickle thing.
    Those other guys have fans and are doing fine in whatever function they are in.

Red Sonia & Vampirella are getting more minis and events then ALL the females at Marvel & DC put together.
    John Carter has a successful franchise elsewhere.
    Tarzan had one at Dark Horse.
    The Spirit-there is ALWAYS a line of folks wanting to do him.
    The difference is they are not flooding the market with stuff. They are also at companies who are not held hostage by certain folks.

Phantom has been a black man and woman. No one threw a fit. Let John Boy let alone Val Zod or Cliff Ellis take over the main books.
    Those others have freedom to educe change with limit fits being thrown.

I understand it's been a rough decade to be a Superman fan, but some of the sky is falling talk is a little hyperbolic.
    And there are plenty of fanbases who would LOVE to be in Superman fans shoes. At least you are getting something unlike what Cyborg, Wally West, John Stewart and so many other fanbases have had to deal with.

The sky is not falling.

The issue (ESPECIALLY in comics) is you can do whatever crap you want to Superman (and Batman) and any push back is muted because it's not enough to hurt book ORDERS.
    Because the talent both of them get-tends to be allowed more leeway versus Priest or McDuffie or Grace or anyone on Wonder Woman.

Story quality does not matter to retailers. They just see a NAME and that is it. Bendis is a name like it or not. You can hate his Superman but he is seen as the Daddy to Oscar winner Miles Morales. While that means NOTHING to us-it does mean something to others.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I was out since Year 4 and i haven't even played Injustice 2, whatever that universe is doing now, i'm indifferent.
    I pretty much only played the games, and even then every time the trinity were on screen, I couldn't wait for the scene to end. It was like watching a really bad SFM fanfic.

I hold a bit of a soft spot in my heart for Injustice because it drew my lady in to comics, but even then she got tired of them and moved on to more traditional takes of those characters, Superman and Wonder Woman especially. I don't think you can like Injustice and be anything other than a Batstan. It does too much damage to Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and many others.

If Amazing Man is in it.....I'll probably grab an issue or two, just to support that guy.

But I was never into the comics and just play the games. I enjoy them for what they are; an Elseworlds fighting game with fun rosters, but the less influence the games have on DC and the general public, the better.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I pretty much only played the games, and even then every time the trinity were on screen, I couldn't wait for the scene to end. It was like watching a really bad SFM fanfic.

I hold a bit of a soft spot in my heart for Injustice because it drew my lady in to comics, but even then she got tired of them and moved on to more traditional takes of those characters, Superman and Wonder Woman especially. I don't think you can like Injustice and be anything other than a Batstan. It does too much damage to Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and many others.
    I enjoy Injustice because my cousins and i really like Netherrealm figthing games (flaws and all), but yeah is not really an universe that i want to follow in a continuious basis, even as someone that enjoy Batman a bit more than Superman and WW, i find it cringe, is one of those stories that is really better to have in small dosis.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If Amazing Man is in it.....I'll probably grab an issue or two, just to support that guy.

But I was never into the comics and just play the games. I enjoy them for what they are; an Elseworlds fighting game with fun rosters, but the less influence the games have on DC and the general public, the better.
    Pretty much where I'm at, though it was the first time we saw Netherrealm's new facial animation software and I was in awe of how amazing that was. On a technical level, Injustice 2 is pretty rad.

Also playable Power Girl and Jay Garrick (and Hellboy, TMNT, Mr Freeze...I can go on). Can't complain about that!

Pretty much where I'm at, though it was the first time we saw Netherrealm's new facial animation software and I was in awe of how amazing that was. On a technical level, Injustice 2 is pretty rad.

Also playable Power Girl and Jay Garrick (and Hellboy, TMNT, Mr Freeze...I can go on). Can't complain about that!
    Oh yeah, great game on a technical level. I don't even hate the basic story, I can get down with a fun evil Superman tale. I don't see it as a threat to the character at all, and any problems it points to are much bigger than a couple video games. At worst, Injustice is a symptom of a larger issue with how WB view some of their characters, but with Injustice I at least get a good game out of it.

My only real issues with Injustice is how they've handled Diana (not just that she sides with Clark, she's poorly written across the board) and the fact that they didn't use Dick Grayson.

~ Black Panther.

I mean, I enjoy elements of Injustice even if I think they go too far on Batman's side instead of Superman's and the obvious favoritism towards Harley over actual plot sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think CW Superman will benefit a lot from finally being away from Kara. I know you're not enthused about married Superman with kids, but I think whether he comes off as boring within that setting will depend more on the execution rather than it being a sure-fire way of making him come off boring.
    I'm just not convinced of that yet because of the kid angle. I still can easily see the teens eventually taking focus of the show, to the point that Kara's shadow will just be replaced by theirs. Obviously it'll be a while before we find out and if I'm wrong I'm wrong and I'll admit it, but it feels like a very strong possibility to me at this point considering the network.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-01-2020 at 01:43 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El