Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I love how writers go "Marriage is boring. Instead of putting any effort into writing marriage or trying to challenge that notion, I'm going to break the couple up either by fridging, divorce, or demonic intervention to keep a status quo and shove my fingers in my ears whenever people complain about how boring my stories are."
    Agreed. Things have fallen into a rut with writers not being professional and writing their own fanfics rather than trying to really come up with compelling stories that service characters. But when we complain, we're a difficult fanbase that's never happy. It couldn't be that they should try to make a little more non-biased effort.

I wrote to the X-Office to question a pairing. I asked why they keep throwing the characters together when the ship doesn't add anything to either of them & gives you no reason to care. Needless to say, I got no answer. Always easier to ignore. But speaking objectively, ever character has fans. When you're going to write about them, write them as a serious character who has fans.

• Don't just use them as accessories for what you see as the only characters who count.
    • Don't throw them in bland relationships that can't be cared about for a convenient a package deal
    • Don't break up ships just so you can prop your fanfic.

Write things that really service & develop the characters involved. It's one thing if a character is created to be a prop. But in many cases, we have characters that started off legit, and got made into parodies & throwaways when a writer decided they didn't matter anymore.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-10-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    FUBAR I love ya but stop watching Vox videos.
    I speak from experience with the subculture in question.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Lmao, I wonder if there’s any truth to this. That’d be interesting. How would someone even go about studying this shift? The House of Ideas is in for a wild ride. I’m scared. I hate change, someone hold me. I grew up foreign, I can’t handle these western young kid ideals! HELP!
    I mean i'm not sure if Seanan or any of the current Marvel staff fit into that description, i prefer to not assume things about someone that i don't know. But there is definitely people out there than think like what FURBAR described.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Lmao, I wonder if there’s any truth to this. That’d be interesting. How would someone even go about studying this shift? The House of Ideas is in for a wild ride. I’m scared. I hate change, someone hold me. I grew up foreign, I can’t handle these western young kid ideals! HELP!
    There is certainly a case to be made.

I was born in 1986, making me a millenial. And I've noticed that the rubber band effect of sexuality came back around this way for the first time since the 1960s. In the west, at least. For the first time in a while, sexuality wasn't something to repress. It was okay to be openly sexual. But for the first time in a VERY long time, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and poly individuals got to join the party too. It isn't quite that marriage is outdated, simply the notion that it isn't as important as our parents and grandparents wanted us to believe. It isn't the idea that being solely in a committed relationship is outdated, it's that there are other options for people that want to explore that in a safe, sane, consensual manner.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    King write the same story and I don't like his take on new gods. He is the one needing therapy.

I can't ignore the oOC on NXM, the last 15 years were all build on it. Unless Hickman do a 180, it can't be ignored
    I don't trust in any writer who doesn't need therapy
    It seems to me that Morrison mostly deconstructed the X-men, but between Whedon who built their new personalities and all the post M-day writers making the scenario nothing of Morrison is left. And even later comics established that Scott never stopped loving Jean to the point of thinking about her everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    far-lefty
    I wish, I haven't seen any lefty in Marvel, they are mostly boring libs, (the conservatives keep getting themselves kicked out of the medium by saying or drawing racist shit and racism doesn't sell, it isn't as if companies care about anything else) and nothing of what you wrote has any correlation with reality, stop learning about society from memes

Post-1986, yes, absolutely.

But, it was Claremont that really made Jott into the phenomenon it is. The transcendent aspect of it, the heightened fairy tale intensity of it comes from him, tracing back to the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Sagas starting with Jean sacrificing herself by piloting the shuttle through the solar flare to save Scott. Claremont also really laid down the backstory with the flashbacks in Uncanny X-Men #138. After Jean's resurrection, Simonson, Lobdell, and Nicieza continued his original ideas and built on them.

The sad irony of Claremont being anti-Jott is that he's the one who made Jott into a romance for the ages in the first place.
    Yeah, forgot to clarify that, Claremont build the base, the rest consolidated their relationship.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Comic Book Writer: I don't like this ship

Forum Poster: COMIC BOOK WRITERS LOVE ADULTERY
    Some do. See Joss Whedon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    There is certainly a case to be made.

I was born in 1986, making me a millenial. And I've noticed that the rubber band effect of sexuality came back around this way for the first time since the 1960s. In the west, at least. For the first time in a while, sexuality wasn't something to repress. It was okay to be openly sexual. But for the first time in a VERY long time, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and poly individuals got to join the party too. It isn't quite that marriage is outdated, simply the notion that it isn't as important as our parents and grandparents wanted us to believe. It isn't the idea that being solely in a committed relationship is outdated, it's that there are other options for people that want to explore that in a safe, sane, consensual manner.
    This also has an effect on how we've become more casual with religion. From what I remember from world religions, all world religions place some sanctity in the institution of marriage. That adds an extra layer to marriage.

Of course, you could argue that the way we normalize cheating has something to do with this, but I'm not a sociology professor.

I knew the moment they announced that today was gonna be about Jean that it was going to be all shipping. Pretty much any topic that brings up Jean, Scott, or Emma devolves into this every time. I'm glad Logan seems more immune to this so far

This also has an effect on how we've become more casual with religion. From what I remember from world religions, all world religions place some sanctity in the institution of marriage. That adds an extra layer to marriage.

Of course, you could argue that the way we normalize cheating has something to do with this, but I'm not a sociology professor.
    Cheating at its core comes down to poor communication. I don't think it's connected to my generation, or the next, or even the previous. Many people simply struggle with confrontation, and that is a problem for all generations.

Some do. See Joss Whedon.
    LOL yeah. Perfect case here, his wife really suffered a lot with his cheating
    Last edited by spirit2011; 06-10-2019 at 01:14 PM.

In fact all the studies I saw showed that milenialls have the least ammount of sex

From the studies I remember the generation that cheats the most, and by far are the boomers, the rest didn't marry that much by societal preasure and waited to marry (though there aren't studies about the silent and the "greatest", and I haven't heard any story about men who had second families as it was common with them)

I love how writers go "Marriage is boring. Instead of putting any effort into writing marriage or trying to challenge that notion, I'm going to break the couple up either by fridging, divorce, or demonic intervention to keep a status quo and shove my fingers in my ears whenever people complain about how boring my stories are."
    Ah yeah. It is bad for stories and characters go for the easiest way instead of taking the challenge

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    From the studies I remember the generation that cheats the most, and by far are the boomers, the rest didn't marry that much by societal preasure and waited to marry (though there aren't studies about the silent and the "greatest", and I haven't heard any story about men who had second families as it was common with them)
    It also varies from country to country and culture to culture. To be clear, my comments were specific to American culture. I haven't spent enough time abroad to comment on anywhere else.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    LOL yeah. Perfect case here
    Ah Whedon. The man who gave us this.

Along with the disgustingness of Spufy. The more I see, and hear, the more I am wary of this man. lol