Page 362 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2623123523583593603613623633643653663724124628621362 ... LastLast
Results 5,416 to 5,430 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Dont tell me what to think based on your own thoughts and intentions. You think one way, I think another.

We all do things differently.

I can just as easily hunt for a bargain on a new book as I can an older one.

You dont care about the hunt, you just want to read the books, that's fine. I like to hunt for stuff, that should be fine as well.

Agreed. Regardless of wether i agree with Legion or not regarding reprints theres no right or wrong way to collect something, no one right or wrong thing to collect nor a right or wrong motivation for collecting.

Some collect for monetery gain, for some its a means to an end and for some the act of collecting itself is the end as opposed to the collectable itself.

To try and push your own motivations for collecting as the "correct reason" at the expense of others is complete bogus.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 06-28-2016 at 02:00 PM.

I guess we all see the "hunt" differently. I for one remember when there was no such thing as Ebay, so going to comic stores to find that $1 issue of amazing spider-man (insert number here) to complete a run was pretty damn fun.

Even today "just checking ebay" doesn't cut it, even for omnibus books.

Quick example, I had to go to Philly last year, so I asked some folks here about stores.

Several regular posters recommended two downtown places within walking distance of where I was staying. I picked up three omnibus books for half off cover that were going for a lot more on Ebay.

To say there's no hunt anymore because "you can go buy it" is a cop out. Yeah, you can buy anything, but I don't feel like paying top dollar, so I personally have fun tracking books down.

Look, I get it's not for everyone, but I think people are starting to be dicks about people's preferences toward collecting. One poster doesn't want books reprinted and others do. Each to their own.

And again - I don't have a dog in this fight.

I like hunting down books, but quite frankly I've got a reading list long enough that I can wait. Or - if I just have to read something - I can always check out the tpb.

Would I like Marvel to reprint some books? Sure. But if they don't I know that one day I'm going to find them whether it's a comic shop I haven't visited, a convention, Craig's List, yard sales (believe me - you can find some gems), used books stores, or an Ebayer who didn't know what they have.

That's my two cents.

Anyway, let's change the subject.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming War of Kings omnibus. If only so I can dig into the Guardians of the Galaxy book I've got sitting on the shelf laughing at me.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Last time something like this happened, Marvel ordered a second print run (and with Simonson Thor, I believe they went for a third print run).

It's entirely possible, but because this deal is one made with an outside rights owner, they may have been limits to print runs etc. that we have not been privy.

That seems unlikely though, so I'd expect a small delay for stock, then more should likely arrive.
    If I recall correctly, the difference is that Simonson Thor went back to press before it's release date - the implication being that Marvel's originally intended print run was not enough to satisfy the pre-order demand. Also, it could possibly mean they were still physically on press with the book at the time and just ran more of it, or that the book hadn't yet shipped before they printed more of it, or that the shipment was already en route when the first printing hit.

All of that would be different with a book like Master of Kung Fu. The ship, quite literally, already sailed. We're 3-6mnths out from getting more of them even if Marvel printed them right this moment.

What's interesting about that (if I remember it right) is the bit about pre-orders. Simonson Thor was so demanded that the kind of places that generate demand did that before release - comic shops, bulk orders from websites we buy from, and book market orders. And, the market was flooded with them. I think I got my copy for $40.

That's the inherent the danger of all of us just relying on sites like CGN, IST, SpeedyHen, et cetera to get our books rather than putting them on our pull list where we're guaranteed a copy. We don't have any voice in what gets pre-ordered. If something has a huge demand but not from the kind of people who create pre-orders, then the book will sell out in a flash.

I suspect that's what happened with this Master of Kung Fu book. Marvel probably printed a reasonable amount of them, but sites have no sales precedent to base their orders on so they demanded what they would for any other omnibus of relatively untested material - like, say Squadron Supreme. Then, the demand turned out to be MASSIVE and it sold out.

While I think a reprint would be good for the folks that so quickly missed the chance to buy it, I think Complete, Epic, or Classic Collection could be the likelier next format (which will cause some people to re-buy it from omnibus form).
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

BANNED

Is the new Squadron Supreme getting OOS soon too?! :S Amazon UK says 5 copies left.... What have I missed lol.

Kind of surprised that Kung Fu omnibus is selling out so quickly, hopefully this means that they will print the rest of the series. I do like they are actually printing vol 2 in the same year as vol 1, something they really need to do with more books.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    If I recall correctly, the difference is that Simonson Thor went back to press before it's release date - the implication being that Marvel's originally intended print run was not enough to satisfy the pre-order demand. Also, it could possibly mean they were still physically on press with the book at the time and just ran more of it, or that the book hadn't yet shipped before they printed more of it, or that the shipment was already en route when the first printing hit.

All of that would be different with a book like Master of Kung Fu. The ship, quite literally, already sailed. We're 3-6mnths out from getting more of them even if Marvel printed them right this moment.

What's interesting about that (if I remember it right) is the bit about pre-orders. Simonson Thor was so demanded that the kind of places that generate demand did that before release - comic shops, bulk orders from websites we buy from, and book market orders. And, the market was flooded with them. I think I got my copy for $40.

That's the inherent the danger of all of us just relying on sites like CGN, IST, SpeedyHen, et cetera to get our books rather than putting them on our pull list where we're guaranteed a copy. We don't have any voice in what gets pre-ordered. If something has a huge demand but not from the kind of people who create pre-orders, then the book will sell out in a flash.

I suspect that's what happened with this Master of Kung Fu book. Marvel probably printed a reasonable amount of them, but sites have no sales precedent to base their orders on so they demanded what they would for any other omnibus of relatively untested material - like, say Squadron Supreme. Then, the demand turned out to be MASSIVE and it sold out.

While I think a reprint would be good for the folks that so quickly missed the chance to buy it, I think Complete, Epic, or Classic Collection could be the likelier next format (which will cause some people to re-buy it from omnibus form).
    Did this not happen to Annihilation: Conquest? It disappeared about 2 weeks after release, then a month later, loads of them appeared?

That's what I was thinking, but I certainly bow to your knowledge (especially seen as I use your website for pretty much everything!)

Side note, quick question, the Bucky Barnes: The Winter Solider series - if that was to be collected, what filler stuff would you include? I know an 11 issue OHC is possible, but is there anything else that could or should go in that book to just make it a bit bigger?
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Mighty Member

Any thoughts on avengers standoff? Was gonna hold off on post secret wars marvel for a while, but I figured I'd ask

Fear Itself 7.1 I know it deals with Bucky as cap and the fallout of Fear Itself, but I remember it being a lead into his Winter Solider series.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Kind of surprised that Kung Fu omnibus is selling out so quickly, hopefully this means that they will print the rest of the series. I do like they are actually printing vol 2 in the same year as vol 1, something they really need to do with more books.
    they are putting out 4 volumes, but I feel they could of just made it 2 big volumes instead considering the page count.

All-New Member

Also A lot of omnibus are wide releases, that are often reprinted most of the time. It is not really a hunt, but rather being smart enough to buy them the year they release or wait for reprint.

A hunt would be something that is actually limited with no intentions of reprints, like Rachel rising black edition, or usagi special edition.

but like others have said, this hobby has many aspects to it, some get into to collect, some to resell, and others to actually read.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post

On the other hand, this is the first volume of a four omnibus set (six if you count DHOKF), and if Marvel didn't even come close to meeting demand with the initial volume (seliing out in three weeks seems to indicate they didn't), then it's going to lead to lost potential sales not only on this volume, but on all the successive ones as well. And that might be enough incentive to get more of these printed ASAP, not just the lost potential revenues from underestimating demand on this one book, but on six of them. This is kind of uncharted territory, if you ask me.

. . .

Speaking of hunting books, anyone who doesn't go to their local used book shops is missing out. In March I scored a mint Eternals omnibus at a Half Price Books for $60. I've seen just about every expensive OOP trade you can think of at the ones by me at one time or another (except Trial of Yellowjacket, I'm still working on that one). I've even scored things still shrinkwrapped, like an Invincible vol 6 OHC for $9 on a $35 cover price. On second thought, no one go to their local used book shops, leave all the books for me.
    Last edited by The Flicker Fade; 06-28-2016 at 04:20 PM.

All-New Member

I think we will get a reprint of it. otherwise sales will be low for future volumes

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    On the other hand, this is the first volume of a four omnibus set (six if you count DHOKF), and if Marvel didn't even come close to meeting demand with the initial volume (seliing out in three weeks seems to indicate they didn't), then it's going to lead to lost potential sales not only on this volume, but on all the successive ones as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlow View Post
    I think we will get a reprint of it. otherwise sales will be low for future volumes
    Indeed. Marvel isn't dumb and they love money. I hadn't entirely considered it this way because this is the first time since Claremont/Lee we've had an omnibus with a guaranteed sequel!
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

All-New Member

I have only seen it sold out on Amazon, but DCBS/IST trade still has plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlow View Post
    they are putting out 4 volumes, but I feel they could of just made it 2 big volumes instead considering the page count.
    I like the slightly smaller books, so 4 volumes is better then 2 in my book. Really hope they make it through all 4 volumes quickly, although other books deserve a 3 and a 4 long before Kung Fu does.