Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default New Super-Man issue #6 discussion (spoilers......that ending, tho...)

Yo there's so much WTF if the last couple pages of this comic, man lol

-Really like the direction they're going in with Kenan's powers. He has to attune his intentions with what Superman's intentions would be. He's got the hang of keeping on strength and invariability, but nothing else yet. I wonder what new ways he'll learn to use his powers? This is probably one of the best ways to develop and represent a new characters powers. It allows us as the reader to really understand where the character sits at all times, and it leaves the door open for obvious growth and innovation. The artistic representation is also fantastic with the segmented octagon. VERY well done Yang. Also great weakness.

-Loved the final scene with Kenan and his dad, and his fathers words last words. Kenan has to figure out a way to care about everyone the way he cares about his friends and family. That's Superman to a tee. This also gives our hero another clear goal to strive for. This is how you create a new character/world. Kenan now wants to make "truth, justice, and democracy" mean something to him (turning the abstract into the concrete. Thus bridging the gap between people and ideals in a way his dad could not). Kenan also wants to find his mom's killer at his new job at the ministry, so--in a surprising but natural progression into maturity-- he's now playing "the good solder" while gathering info.

-THAT ENDING, BRUH! Is Omen his mom?! Is that why Kenan was hand picked? She never did give a reason, did she? She just got defensive about it when asked. Or is she an old fame that Kenan's dad left for Kenan's mom? Also it looks like she's freakin crazy with the whole bring Kenan's dad back from the dead deal.

This comic is a text book example on how to create a new comic/character. It's so full of heart, and so solidly written. First arc gets a 10/10 from me, man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    -THAT ENDING, BRUH! Is Omen his mom?! Is that why Kenan was hand picked? She never did give a reason, did she? She just got defensive about it when asked. Or is she an old fame that Kenan's dad left for Kenan's mom? Also it looks like she's freakin crazy with the whole bring Kenan's dad back from the dead deal.

This comic is a text book example on how to create a new comic/character. It's so full of heart, and so solidly written. First arc gets a 10/10 from me, man.
    Old flame, I think. Or, perhaps, something that came afterwards. But I like the ambiguity it gives to Omen---keeping us and Kenan guessing is a good thing.

I find this more satisfying than a lot of the Rebirth books, because the seeds for the hero was always there. And the cultural richness of the book is also very good to me. Disappointing that folks seem to blow that off and not give the main character a chance, just because he doesn't come to his hero status at the very first.

I really like the explanation of his power set. Qi that he has to control and flow through his body. Kinda like nen in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I really like the explanation of his power set. Qi that he has to control and flow through his body. Kinda like nen in a way.
    Oooo HXH fan?

Oooo HXH fan?
    Unfortunately man....

Unfortunately man....
    Haha that's how you know a real HxH fan. The delays are too real, man!

Haha that's how you know a real HxH fan. The delays are too real, man!
    It's a struggle. But this comic is giving me some similar vibes.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Yo there's so much WTF if the last couple pages of this comic, man lol

-Really like the direction they're going in with Kenan's powers. He has to attune his intentions with what Superman's intentions would be. He's got the hang of keeping on strength and invariability, but nothing else yet. I wonder what new ways he'll learn to use his powers? This is probably one of the best ways to develop and represent a new characters powers. It allows us as the reader to really understand where the character sits at all times, and it leaves the door open for obvious growth and innovation. The artistic representation is also fantastic with the segmented octagon. VERY well done Yang. Also great weakness.

-Loved the final scene with Kenan and his dad, and his fathers words last words. Kenan has to figure out a way to care about everyone the way he cares about his friends and family. That's Superman to a tee. This also gives our hero another clear goal to strive for. This is how you create a new character/world. Kenan now wants to make "truth, justice, and democracy" mean something to him (turning the abstract into the concrete. Thus bridging the gap between people and ideals in a way his dad could not). Kenan also wants to find his mom's killer at his new job at the ministry, so--in a surprising but natural progression into maturity-- he's now playing "the good solder" while gathering info.

It was good they made him like Superman but gave it a twist.

Fantastic issue!! I like the approach in the use of his powers. The use of the Iching trigrams to represent the powers or the level of spirituality awoken is genius. Looks like he's awakened the Earth (kun) and Mountain (gen) trigrams and I suppose that's associated with strength and invulnerability. Brilliant. Omen and Kenan's father, nice twist. Nice to see a different side to her. She cares, in her own way. When she fired that compliance tag, I half expected her to pull a Waller. Didn't see that coming. Just wish this book was doing so much better.

It's a struggle. But this comic is giving me some similar vibes.
    Me too. The trigrams and there meaning can be loosely applied to the different types of aura manipulators in the series. Kenan is transferring the stored Superman Qi from his naval to the different parts of his body kinda like shu, ken, and gyo in HxH.

I definitely like the effect of Kenan channeling his Qi .

I wonder if the training with I-Ching will let him access more of Superman's powerset, if not all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Me too. The trigrams and there meaning can be loosely applied to the different types of aura manipulators in the series. Kenan is transferring the stored Superman Qi from his naval to the different parts of his body kinda like shu, ken, and gyo in HxH.
    I just went back and you're right! I can't believe I completely missed the 8 trigrams symbol twice. Hopefully his training will give him more mastery of if. Loving that they're going the martial arts route.

Well, this issue definitely cement New Super-Man in my top three of Rebirth with Superman and Aquaman. I really liked the evolution of the relation between Kenan and his dad, the growing bonds between the Justice League of China, the tensions with the Great ten, possibly an already established rogue Gallery (the Freedom Fighters), who may actually be ambivalent foes, wanting the same things than the heroes, but using the wrong means to achieve it. Omen's also growing into a more complex character, which is always great. There is also some tertiary characters who are well seeded (Luo Lixin and Lena Lan).

Kenan's powers are also very well presented and they open a lot of space for his growth, which will probably comes out from his time with Superman in the Multiversity Arc. I really hope this series won't fail !

In few numbers I have taken a lot of affection to Kenan...

But this time I'm ready If he disappears.. His only salvation is that;

-Supersoldier(blood N52 Superman)
    -Kenan (superdad blood) like the last Bizarro

Connected with N52?(especially with superman) bad, bad... DC would end with him...

Kenan doesn´t shown symptoms of disease, like the superwomen.. Like Bizarro, I do not care if DC connect him with superdad.... if the character doesn´t change too much, he is funny..

I doubt that Omen is kenan mother... Maybe she is an old love of Kenan father...
    Last edited by adrikito; 12-15-2016 at 04:33 AM.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Fantastic issue!! I like the approach in the use of his powers. The use of the Iching trigrams to represent the powers or the level of spirituality awoken is genius. Looks like he's awakened the Earth (kun) and Mountain (gen) trigrams and I suppose that's associated with strength and invulnerability. Brilliant. Omen and Kenan's father, nice twist. Nice to see a different side to her. She cares, in her own way. When she fired that compliance tag, I half expected her to pull a Waller. Didn't see that coming. Just wish this book was doing so much better.
    Cool. I wonder what else from from Chinese Mythology will show up; like the Eight Immortals acting like Kenan's mentors.