Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well the DC animated team is pretty loose with whatever they adapt, so it's not like they're likely to have too many qualms about putting their spin on an idea. The Young Justice show saw pretty great success even though it manipulated generations and completely altered established characters in the interest of creating some unique to them. As you Conner in Young Justice is nothing like any version of him in the comics in terms of powers or personality, and the Young Justice development team was pretty proud of that.

So I suppose if Conner's animation debut can consist of him being and almost robot-like ball of angst with power inspiration coming from the golden age Superman, then I suppose Jon can be the test-tube baby Lois and Clark. At the very least that has some fairly strong comic parallels in the New 52 Superboy genetically being the son of Lois and Clark.

But yeah, it's a long way from "and it'll be closer to the original story" that we were told.

Kon in the comics(after Geoff got him) and the shows origin and look are pretty close to each other,and I would hope they keep Jon a powerless "normal" kid for his origin,cause it's what makes him HIM,and sets him apart from all the others.

I will say that video of Jon changing into the new 52 superboy was freaky as hell though (even though it was cool as hell in it's own freaky way lol).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    Although there is only one picture from DOS, but I assume that there are some changes. Compare these two pictures.Attachment 62708

It might be a different art style that makes it look different or that it's not finished and sloppy,but both have the new 53 collar,and that is strictly a new 52 thing,so that's why ppl are confused about the faithful thing,cause that's far from being faithful to the 1992 Death story

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Kon in the comics(after Geoff got him) and the shows origin and look are pretty close to each other,
    But literally everything else couldn't be more different, and that's their take on the character for their version of the DCU.

and I would hope they keep Jon a powerless "normal" kid for his origin,cause it's what makes him HIM,and sets him apart from all the others.
    If we're being honest what really sets him apart from the other superboys and girls is that he's Superman's no-this-totally-isn't-a-joke-or-imaginary-story biological son, and they lean into that hard with him being more than happy to take the mantle of Superman someday.

I think him being a normal kid that discovers this great legacy that he's the heir to is powerful and effective in a similar way how the original comic protege character, Dick Grayson, works as retelling of Bruce's origin with a happier ending because Bruce is there. Ideally I personally wouldn't get rid of that because it's great, but time and the continuity of the movies simply won't allow for it. The ease of the test-tube baby short cut hard to pass up. And once he's up and running, being a great kid, and getting into crap with Damian I can't imagine a general audience will care much as to how they got there so long as it's not complicated. Short of a reboot there's not really many other ways, and this seems the quickest.

I will say that video of Jon changing into the new 52 superboy was freaky as hell though (even though it was cool as hell in it's own freaky way lol).
    Not only is it freaky, but it's also kind of accurate. New 52 Superboy was biologically Lois and Clark son. If they're serious about the doing a New 52 version of Death and Return with Jon as Superboy, then they're kind of well within their rights.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

But literally everything else couldn't be more different, and that's their take on the character for their version of the DCU.

If we're being honest what really sets him apart from the other superboys and girls is that he's Superman's no-this-totally-isn't-a-joke-or-imaginary-story biological son, and they lean into that hard with him being more than happy to take the mantle of Superman someday.

I think him being a normal kid that discovers this great legacy that he's the heir to is powerful and effective in a similar way how the original comic protege character, Dick Grayson, works as retelling of Bruce's origin with a happier ending because Bruce is there. Ideally I personally wouldn't get rid of that because it's great, but time and the continuity of the movies simply won't allow for it. The ease of the test-tube baby short cut hard to pass up. And once he's up and running, being a great kid, and getting into crap with Damian I can't imagine a general audience will care much as to how they got there so long as it's not complicated. Short of a reboot there's not really many other ways, and this seems the quickest.

Not only is it freaky, but it's also kind of accurate. New 52 Superboy was biologically Lois and Clark son. If they're serious about the doing a New 52 version of Death and Return with Jon as Superboy, then they're kind of well within their rights.
    When did they ever say Jon would be Superboy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    When did they ever say Jon would be Superboy?
    The didn't. I really wanna stress that it's speculation on my part based on the fact that they are apparently doing a New 52 inspired rendition of the Death and Return of Superman. My line of thinking is basically that since the New 52 Superboy was genetically the son of Lois and Clark by way of being a clone of said son named Jon Kent, they've said they don't intend to reboot, Jon's popularity as Superboy is generally pretty strong, Super Sons has proven to be very popular, Damian is already around in this continuity, and they were already fine with skipping over Tim to get to Damian.

As I see it, chances are they'll do Jon as a 10 or so year old test-tube baby of Clark and Lois, and they'll use that to move into popular concepts for animated movies like Superman & Son, and Super Sons.

Again, can't stress enough that it's just a theory on my part, and nothing else.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Superlad it's not good that you WANT Jon in the DCAU so bad that you would throwaway his whole origin and 10 years of his life to get it.

If he is a test tube or clone child he is no more their "real" son as Kon,Lor,or cir was.his normal life is how he turned out the great way he did,the point is Superman and Lois RAISING a son,not picking one up down at the Cadmus or NOWHERE grocery store and "acting" like everything is the same

It might be a different art style that makes it look different or that it's not finished and sloppy,but both have the new 53 collar,and that is strictly a new 52 thing,so that's why ppl are confused about the faithful thing,cause that's far from being faithful to the 1992 Death story
    Suit with a collar Superman had not only in New 52. But also in Injustice and DC Legends. Although DC Legends also wore a New 52 suit. Perhaps in DOS there will be a new New 52 Superman, who was killed by Doomsday and was resurrected. As shown in Action Comics 978. Only change the suit.

Yeah, if they put DOS/ROS in their "diet52" animated continuity, they may as well throw it in a dumpster fire.

They already tried and botched a Doomsday story by changing it beyond recognition. What is this, "once again, with feeling"? I want a fairly faithful telling - with art that represents what the art was, etc etc.. at least more like what the DKR adaptation was, more-or-less. If we aren't getting that, they can bite me. I got "Batman & Harley Quinn" on Black Friday and it was.... meh. So I guess I should have expected this. Nothing like not understanding respect for a story if there isn't a Bat-symbol involved in it.

And to think, I was actually looking forward to this..
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The Superboy of the Reign of the Supermen/Return of Superman adaptation will be Jon Kent, clone of Superman and Lois Lane. Super Sons animated movie coming in 2020.
    Argh....clones are copies of people! Not biological children of people!

(Unless you clone an actual son or daughter of somebody.)
    Last edited by C-Dot; 02-28-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Ever since I was a kid and heard the BBC radio play of "Death/Return" (sometimes called Superman: Doomsday and Beyond...seriously, if you've never heard this go buy a copy on Amazon stat!) for the first time, I've imagined what an animated adaptation could be. For those of you who have heard the BBC show, you'll know what I'm talking about...in the span of 2.5 hours or so, they cover pretty much everything from the engagement, to Luthor's "death" and the emergence of Luthor II, the JL of that era, the origin of the Eradicator, Lois discovering the secret...they crammed years worth of stories into that show, and did it in a way that it was easy to comprehend & understand (I hadn't read 90% of these comics at that time). All I could think about for months after was how amazing that show would be in animation.
    Whenever someone goes "well, the story is too long to adapt" or "no adaptation was faithful" or whatever, I always point to that BBC radio play. They condensed it and made it 100% more faithful than "Superman: Doomsday". Even the video game was more faithful than "Superman: Doomsday".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    Even the video game was more faithful than "Superman: Doomsday".
    Yeah...although it made you play the same level four times

Despite its weirdness, I liked Superman: Doomsday. Also, despite my current disdain for these DoS stories, I saw the logic in using that story to kick off the DTV line. I think it's inexcusably bad to go back to it 11 years later, though.

Superlad it's not good that you WANT Jon in the DCAU so bad that you would throwaway his whole origin and 10 years of his life to get it.
    I don't really want anything. Again, it's just speculation of something I think is likely. If it doesn't happen, I won't really care.

If he is a test tube or clone child he is no more their "real" son as Kon,Lor,or cir was.his normal life is how he turned out the great way he did,the point is Superman and Lois RAISING a son,not picking one up down at the Cadmus or NOWHERE grocery store and "acting" like everything is the same
    Well, that's just not true. The implied Superman 2/Superman Secondus at the end of All Star Superman (comic and movie) is 100% Lois and Clark's kid. I mean, are you gonna say that Damian isn't Bruce's son because Bruce didn't start raising him till he was 10? No.

BANNED

I don't really want anything. Again, it's just speculation of something I think is likely. If it doesn't happen, I won't really care.

Well, that's just not true. The implied Superman 2/Superman Secondus at the end of All Star Superman (comic and movie) is 100% Lois and Clark's kid. I mean, are you gonna say that Damian isn't Bruce's son because Bruce didn't start raising him till he was 10? No.

I think you can't see how focussed toward this happening you are,and it's ok to want things,hell I want Kon in everything all the time,but I admit it.

If lex handed Clark and Lois a newborn baby that he created in a lab from their DNA,and they raisied him,then yes I would see him as the same as jon.if a Superman secundus was created and came out at 15,with their DNA,then sure he would technically be their offspring,but their wouldn't be a paternal link that you get when you raise your own kid.

Oh and Bruce probably started out just wanting damian to not turn out to be a killer like the other side of his family.now he has spent enough time with him that they actually have grown into real father/son feelings for each other

BANNED

Oh and shoehorning the Death and Reign stories into this new 52ish DCAU is just dumb,mostly when they haven't done it for Batman's last couple movies.