Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I see this thread has degenerated into MCU vs XCU.

Kinda surprised to still see this happen after Disney/Marvel showed that they cared far more about Dark Phoenix than Fox did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I see this thread has degenerated into MCU vs XCU.
    It always does. Will never understand the hate the X-Men movies get around here.

Kinda surprised to still see this happen after Disney/Marvel showed that they cared far more about Dark Phoenix than Fox did.
    Well, seeing as the movie had a troubled production, I'm not sure what else Disney could've done; it sounds like the problems were in decisions made before they were involved.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, seeing as the movie had a troubled production, I'm not sure what else Disney could've done; it sounds like the problems were in decisions made before they were involved.
    I mean Disney tried to give the movie a chance with its last minute marketing push and kept it from bombing even harder. After Fox put the movie in June knowing that it would bomb and the would be largely unpromoted due to people on the marketing team leaving because of the merger.

BANNED

It always does. Will never understand the hate the X-Men movies get around here.
    LMAO on the Blu-Ray.com forum it's even worse, trust me.
    Hating the XCU is the new trend since 2009.

I will explain it this way

X-men in media

X-men animated series line up Professor X Cyclops, Wolverine,Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue, Beast, Gambit, Jubilee, ,

X-men evo lineup Professor X, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue Beast Nightcrawler, Kitty ,Spike and New Mutants mash up

Wolverine X-men line up Professor X, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue ,Nightcrawler, Kitty, Beast, Forge, and White Queen

X-men anime Professor X, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm , Jean Grey, Beast, White Queen, Armor

Classic comic Lineups

O5 Cyclops,Jean grey,Iceman,Angel, Beast

ANAD Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops,Nightcrawler, Colossus, Banshee,Sunfire, Thunderbird

Blue and Gold Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue, Beast, Gambit, Jubilee, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Archangel, Bishop

Who the X-men movie focused on

Professor X, Magneto ,Wolverine, Mystique, Beast, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Quicksilver, Rogue

You go into X-men movies expecting to focus on certain characters. Quick note Professor X in the X-men was general a side character who was needed to set up the premise but then was sparingly used in used in media and comics. X-men movies need to get Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Beast and Jean Grey right( And there is one name which is one every list failing to get him right is huge factor in getting the X-men right). It is as simple as that is the root issue

Whenever someone doesn't why X-men movie get hate I am always curious to what made them a fan of the X-men. Not to question their fanhood but they are things as X-men fans you should want to see translated from what first made you a fan.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-30-2019 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    LMAO on the Blu-Ray.com forum it's even worse, trust me.
    Hating the XCU is the new trend since 2009.
    Yeah, most the hate seems to come from non-comic readers that pretend to read comics.

BANNED

And here on a comic book site we also hate the XCU. Seems like they missed the boat on both ends....

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I will explain it this way

X-men in media

X-men animated series line up Professor X Cyclops, Wolverine,Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue, Beast, Gambit, Jubilee, ,

X-men evo lineup Professor X, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue Beast Nightcrawler, Kitty ,Spike and New Mutants mash up

Wolverine X-men line up Professor X, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue ,Nightcrawler, Kitty, Beast, Forge, and White Queen

X-men anime Professor X, Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm , Jean Grey, Beast, White Queen, Armor

Classic comic Lineups

O5 Cyclops,Jean grey,Iceman,Angel, Beast

ANAD Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops,Nightcrawler, Colossus, Banshee,Sunfire, Thunderbird

Blue and Gold Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue, Beast, Gambit, Jubilee, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Archangel, Bishop

Who the X-men movie focused on

Professor X, Magneto ,Wolverine, Mystique, Beast, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Quicksilver, Rogue

You go into X-men movies expecting to focus on certain characters. Quick note Professor X in the X-men was general a side character who was needed to set up the premise but then was sparingly used in used in media and comics. X-men movies need to get Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Beast and Jean Grey right( And there is one name which is one every list failing to get him right is huge factor in getting the X-men right). It is as simple as that is the root issue

Whenever someone doesn't why X-men movie get hate I am always curious to what made them a fan of the X-men. Not to question their fanhood but they are things as X-men fans you should want to see translated from what first made you a fan.
    The way I look at it is this.

Tony Stark in the comics was not always an alcoholic though that later became a major comic book plot. But he was not a wise-cracking juvenile with a 12 year old's approach to women. But that doesn't make the movie interpretation bad.

In the movies, Thor was never Donald Blake. In the comics, Dr. Banner did not become the Hulk by intentionally experimenting on himself, nor was Banner a wise-cracking comedian.

There's a joke that the one thing you will never read on social media is: In order to do a modern take on the super heroes of my childhood in a movie medium, they had to make some changes so that the characters and situations are not exactly the ones I first read and grew up with- and I'm okay with that.

I had issues with the X-Men movies that I've seen, especially the first one and the third one. But they were inherent to the movies themselves as opposed to an outside standard that they are not exactly the lineup from the comics. I would go so far as to say that Wolverine, Storm, Kitty Pryde and probably a few others being in the first movie AT ALL makes them untrue to the comic books I grew up on. I think one just needs to judge the movies on their own merits.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    And here on a comic book site we also hate the XCU. Seems like they missed the boat on both ends....
    Why are you on this thread?

Yeah, most the hate seems to come from non-comic readers that pretend to read comics.
    Actually no matter XCU, MCU, or DCEU I've seen the most vocal detractors are comic fan who are unhappy with characters being represented on film.

Before you ask "Why am I here?" Because I like the XCU and have said many praises and good things but I also see it's flaws.

BANNED

Why are you on this thread?
    Because I can be? And have been?

This isn't the "Make excuses for DP thread" though, you've got like 8 of those going if that helps steer you in the right direction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

I had issues with the X-Men movies that I've seen, especially the first one and the third one. But they were inherent to the movies themselves as opposed to an outside standard that they are not exactly the lineup from the comics. I would go so far as to say that Wolverine, Storm, Kitty Pryde and probably a few others being in the first movie AT ALL makes them untrue to the comic books I grew up on. I think one just needs to judge the movies on their own merits.
    I think this is a good point and I agree completely with you on judging the movies apart from canon. However, I think the poster was alluding to how the spirit of the comic books wasn't captured often enough. There were moments where it happened across all the movies, even the ones I thought were trash, but it just wasn't consistent enough. And too many characters I cared about got sidelined.

So even though I can judge it apart from what I value about the comics, that part matters too. One thing the MCU and Nolan's Batman did well is that they resonated the characters comic book fans loved in whole new ways so that it appealed both broadly and to the base of fans. I'm not sure the XCU did that after X2, the steam just slowly died out. They came back to check in with DoFP and to say goodbye with Logan, but otherwise it became an afterthought.

This isn't the "Make excuses for DP thread" though, you've got like 8 of those going if that helps steer you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Actually no matter XCU, MCU, or DCEU I've seen the most vocal detractors are comic fan who are unhappy with characters being represented on film.

Before you ask "Why am I here?" Because I like the XCU and have said many praises and good things but I also see it's flaws.
    Yeah, but you got a lot of them pretending to be fans. I remember guys saying the Phoenix Saga was 40 issues long and it was about the X-Men having adventures on the Shi’ar home world. lol

I wasn’t going to ask why you’re here. Theleviathan has explicated stated that he hates this franchise many times.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-30-2019 at 10:50 AM.

BANNED

This thread is about discussing the legacy of the franchise. It got quickly derailed by timelines and your rush to defend DP from "boring".

My post on page 2 is how I feel about the franchise. Perhaps rather than policing who gets to post on the thread ypu might try and stay on topic. We have plenty of threads with your usual agenda so be more than welcome to share your thoughts on topic.

This thread is about discussing the legacy of the franchise. It got quickly derailed by timelines and your rush to defend DP from "boring".

My post on page 2 is how I feel about the franchise. Perhaps rather than policing who gets to post on the thread ypu might try and stay on topic. We have plenty of threads with your usual agenda so be more than welcome to share your thoughts on topic.
    Explaining why something is boring is not the same as being boring and the thread did not become derailed.

I wasn’t policing, I was asking a question.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-30-2019 at 11:59 AM.