Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

In regards to characters I want Blue to establish status quo bonds with, I really want to see him hang with the Hammer Bros (Beta/Thor) or at least one of them, preferably Thor. It'd be really fun to see them traverse the realms beating down giants and any other big bads that get in their way.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scilover View Post
    Is Blue Marvel stronger than Captain Marvel?

Even though Captain Marvel was gotten stronger than her Ms. Marvel, Blue Marvel easily kicked Captain Marvel's ass when she was fighting with Ares, She-Hulk, Wonder-Man, Iron Man, and Sentry. Blue Marvel is top tier. He is on the level of Hyperion, Thor, Hulk, and Hercules in terms of strength and power.
    Kevin Grevioux, Blue Marvel's creator, intended Adam to be on the same level as characters like the Hulk, Thor and Sentry. Not necessarily stronger than them by leaps and bounds. But what does that really mean when Hulk has an x-factor that increases his strength exponentially, Thor has any number of on-demand amps, whether you're talking about the Odinforce or his berserker rage, and Sentry's strength when he's in harmony with Void is as close to "incalculable" as you'll ever see? When Grevioux establishes that Blue Marvel is on par with those guys, what he's really saying is that those guys, even with their amps, shouldn't be head and shoulders stronger than Blue Marvel, either. While no one is suggesting that Blue Marvel needs to show that level of strength all of the time, parity requires that if an opportunity for a feat of strength presents itself, Blue Marvel should be able to deliver.

As for Captain Marvel, I know in the MCU she is the "mightiest" hero and likely the strongest hero. In the comics domain, though, I think she's like Blue Marvel in that her strength level is supposed to be "in the discussion" as one of the strongest characters in the Marvel Universe given proper amps.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Just thought I'd drop by to say that you Blue Marvel fans might be interested in what Chris Cantwell has to say about his next appearance in the upcoming Doctor Doom #8. Here's a link to a podcast he did the other day and the topic of Blue Marvel comes up at the 45 minute mark.

I thought the part about only Adam Brashear and Doom sharing the knowledge of something that will happen at the end of the series is an interesting development. I doubt they will become bosom buddies but I am curious to see how they interact.

One quote I found interesting "He (Blue Marvel) will be the only the will be aware of....fully aware of what happens at the end of the book. It will just be him and Victor. They will be the only ones to share that secret. No one else will know, not even Victorious. He has borne witness to some pretty intense stuff in the book. I wanted to do that because the character is so virtuous that he can carry it. And also be profoundly affected by it." So I guess he will be fairly prominent in the closing issues of the book. He does say though that issue #9 will be mostly about Reed and Victor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    In regards to characters I want Blue to establish status quo bonds with, I really want to see him hang with the Hammer Bros (Beta/Thor) or at least one of them, preferably Thor. It'd be really fun to see them traverse the realms beating down giants and any other big bads that get in their way.
    Beta Ray Bill and Adam seem like the perfect dynamic duo to me. Pardon the borrowed epithet. If anyone at Marvel is reading this, please make this happen.

But I'd also like to see Adam and a longstanding villain form a friendship that gradually changes both men over time. Even to the point where the villain eventually settles in as a hero -- at least when Adam is around. Every Wyatt Earp needs a Doc Holliday.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Just thought I'd drop by to say that you Blue Marvel fans might be interested in what Chris Cantwell has to say about his next appearance in the upcoming Doctor Doom #8. Here's a link to a podcast he did the other day and the topic of Blue Marvel comes up at the 45 minute mark.

I thought the part about only Adam Brashear and Doom sharing the knowledge of something that will happen at the end of the series is an interesting development. I doubt they will become bosom buddies but I am curious to see how they interact.

One quote I found interesting "He (Blue Marvel) will be the only the will be aware of....fully aware of what happens at the end of the book. It will just be him and Victor. They will be the only ones to share that secret. No one else will know, not even Victorious. He has borne witness to some pretty intense stuff in the book. I wanted to do that because the character is so virtuous that he can carry it. And also be profoundly affected by it." So I guess he will be fairly prominent in the closing issues of the book. He does say though that issue #9 will be mostly about Reed and Victor.
    I don't buy Cantwell's statements about Silver Sable being able to flip Blue Marvel. By his logic, Sable should be able to flip Thor, Hulk and Sentry as well because they are not always that powerful all the time, which doesn't make sense to me. I also don't know if Cantwell could get the drop on The Rock from behind, but even if he could, him doing that to The Rock is a LOT different than Silver Sable getting the drop on someone as powerful as Blue Marvel because of how strong Blue Marvel is. The Rock is nowhere near as strong as Blue Marvel, obviously, so his analogy didn't work for me.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I don't buy Cantwell's statements about Silver Sable being able to flip Blue Marvel. By his logic, Sable should be able to flip Thor, Hulk and Sentry as well because they are not always that powerful all the time, which doesn't make sense to me. I also don't know if Cantwell could get the drop on The Rock from behind, but even if he could, him doing that to The Rock is a LOT different than Silver Sable getting the drop on someone as powerful as Blue Marvel because of how strong Blue Marvel is. The Rock is nowhere near as strong as Blue Marvel, obviously, so his analogy didn't work for me.
    Agreed. The correct response for him here is "comics." That is all. Don't insult our intelligence by trying to rationalize bad writing. If Blue Marvel isn't that strong or heavy all of the time, then Silver Sable as a normal human -- Olympic class athlete or not -- suffers that same limitation to an infinitely greater degree. Blue Marvel should have easily dealt with Sable ... and Victorious would have taken maybe 3 minutes longer than Sable.

Remember when you were younger and your parents made you play with that one kid that no one really liked? Maybe he was your distant relative, or the child of your parent's boss. You didn't want to do it, but you did what you were told, only without any real enthusiasm or gusto. You figured out a way to have him on the field without really interacting with him. You only passed him the ball when you noticed your parents staring daggers at you. That's what Cantwell's Blue Marvel felt like in Doom. Like someone forced him to use Adam for the story.

Yeah, no disrespect to you personally, but that's gonna be a hard "pass" on the trash writing given to Blue Marvel. I hope this book fades into obscurity where it belongs. You tinkle on Blue Marvel fans and tell them its rain. You can put Cantwell writing along side the deplorable actions of Mayberry "Black Panther " book that had Doom trash him the whole series and T'Challa never so much as laid a hand on Doom in righteous anger even through BP's weak victory over Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Yeah, no disrespect to you personally, but that's gonna be a hard "pass" on the trash writing given to Blue Marvel. I hope this book fades into obscurity where it belongs. You tinkle on Blue Marvel fans and tell them its rain. You can put Cantwell writing along side the deplorable actions of Mayberry "Black Panther " book that had Doom trash him the whole series and T'Challa never so much as laid a hand on Doom in righteous anger even through BP's weak victory over Doom.
    Sorry you don't like the writing, but I wouldn't judge it until you read it since there is more to come. As for the book fading into obscurity, it had been nominated for an Eisner and it was noted that issue #6 was the most re-ordered comic in September. That usually means the shop sold out their shipment or they could also have under ordered. But different strokes, different folks. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I actually hope this book isn't forgotten. Silver Sable incident aside, I think creating a sort of relationship between Adam and Doom potentially could be cool for the character. Not suggesting they become BFF's or anything, but there's potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I actually hope this book isn't forgotten. Silver Sable incident aside, I think creating a sort of relationship between Adam and Doom potentially could be cool for the character. Not suggesting they become BFF's or anything, but there's potential there.
    I think so too. Earlier in the series we got the sense that Adam seemed a bit resentful of Reed or at least a bit annoyed when he called him about the Antlion disaster. If anything that may be a common gripe with both of them...that they feel disrespected by Reed. Cantwell may be going in that direction since he brings up Reed's personality in the podcast.

Sorry you don't like the writing, but I wouldn't judge it until you read it since there is more to come. As for the book fading into obscurity, it had been nominated for an Eisner and it was noted that issue #6 was the most re-ordered comic in September. That usually means the shop sold out their shipment or they could also have under ordered. But different strokes, different folks. We'll have to agree to disagree.
    Like Ewing, I don't begrudge Cantwell's writing talent. It's their treatment for Blue Marvel that I criticize. I'd respect both more if they'd simply come out and say, "Look, I gotta use the guy, but there's no way I'm giving the brother first tier, First Class treatment in my book. If you want to see that, you better go stream an old Sidney Poitier movie or something." lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I wanna see the Blue Marvel take on Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Like Ewing, I don't begrudge Cantwell's writing talent. It's their treatment for Blue Marvel that I criticize. I'd respect both more if they'd simply come out and say, "Look, I gotta use the guy, but there's no way I'm giving the brother first tier, First Class treatment in my book. If you want to see that, you better go stream an old Sidney Poitier movie or something." lol
    Well, Cantwell did address the fact in his podcast that he's heard from complaints from Blue Marvel fans. I don't think we can say someone twisted his arm to to use Blue Marvel or why would he play (apparently) a large role at the end? But it's your choice if you want to pass on it. I'll be posting a review with spoilers thread when they issue comes out at the end of the month.

I don't care much about the Silver Sable thing.

What I don' like in this interview is the talk of Adam being this virtuous character who will lost his innocence. Didn't he already lost it the very moment Kennedy told him to back down? Or when he lost his son Kevin? Or when his best friend murdered his wife who was actually a SHIELD agent who married him to monitor him?
    He is not a newbie hero, he has been on the field longer than Doom.
    Last edited by mugiwara; 10-10-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Well, Cantwell did address the fact in his podcast that he's heard from complaints from Blue Marvel fans. I don't think we can say someone twisted his arm to to use Blue Marvel or why would he play (apparently) a large role at the end? But it's your choice if you want to pass on it. I'll be posting a review with spoilers thread when they issue comes out at the end of the month.
    Thanks, IM. I'll be looking forward to your review. By the way, in which issue did Doom and Adam speak on panel regarding the crisis and (possible) solution? I might as well add that one to my Blue Marvel appearances library.