Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021 Season

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    my Reds got beat by the Cards yesterday. And while I was pissed at a 6-0 score in the first inning there were some good take a ways. The bullpen had 5 scoreless innings to end the game, hitting was decent. The new guys in the booth did decent, though Barry Larkin was a bit stiff it was however his first game in the booth so I am sure he will get better. Our young kind Indy did pretty solid in his big league debut.

Not the outcome I wanted but it was not god awful.
    There's always tomorrow

MLB announced they've moved the All-Star Game out of Atlanta due to Georgia's new voting law.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Good for them. Hollywood should end all filming there as well. Stealing elections should have consequences.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Good for them. Hollywood should end all filming there as well. Stealing elections should have consequences.
    Absolutely! And Disney should lead the charge since they shoot most, if not all their Marvel Studios films and TV shows in Georgia.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Yes, and those consequences all too often fall on those who had nothing to do with it---as here, with this attempt to harm the very people whose voting rights are the issue by destroying them economically in a fit of rage. Just once, I'd like to see politics stay out of sports, especially MLB. All I want from MLB is baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes, and those consequences all too often fall on those who had nothing to do with it---as here, with this attempt to harm the very people whose voting rights are the issue by destroying them economically in a fit of rage. Just once, I'd like to see politics stay out of sports, especially MLB. All I want from MLB is baseball.
    This was the reasoning to not have sanctions against South Africa. Since the GOP of Georgia has just fixed it so they will never loose an election, they should be consequences. It's not rage, it's rational reaction to the destruction of Democracy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

This was the reasoning to not have sanctions against South Africa. Since the GOP of Georgia has just fixed it so they will never loose an election, they should be consequences. It's not rage, it's rational reaction to the destruction of Democracy.
    Nope, it's rage. Insisting there "must be consequences" without caring who pays those consequences is nothing but that. Since if you have a problem with that law, I would note that you can directly target those who actually voted for it without hurting innocent people just because you can. Vote against them, or support their opponents. File lawsuits against that law. Those things actually could do something, (and likely will happen in any event); boycotting the state of having MLB or some other such entity do that does nothing to address the issue, while intentionally hurting others.

That's all I have on that. Back to baseball, it seems that MLB is determined to wreck things----they want to make a universal DH a permanent thing. Meaning of course that National League pitchers will no longer have to bat.

A point here: Where does that leave Otahni? The guy hit 5 HRs in Spring training, with two of them being over 460 feet. And what will that do to future Otahni's who now might not learn to hit like that knowing the MLB won't allow them to hit anyway?

IMO, National League pitchers hitting, (poorly for the most part, but there are the Otahnis and Kershaws who can hit), and American having the DH instead is just how baseball is and should be. The actual rules of the game don't need to change, how you play it can.
    Last edited by achilles; 04-03-2021 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post

That's all I have on that. Back to baseball, it seems that MLB is determined to wreck things----they want to make a universal DH a permanent thing. Meaning of course that National League pitchers will no longer have to bat.

A point here: Where does that leave Otahni? The guy hit 5 HRs in Spring training, with two of them being over 460 feet. And what will that do to future Otahni's who now might not learn to hit like that knowing the MLB won't allow them to hit anyway?

IMO, National League pitchers hitting, (poorly for the most part, but there are the Otahnis and Kershaws who can hit), and American having the DH instead is just how baseball is and should be. The actual rules of the game don't need to change, how you play it can.
    People felt that MLB was wrecking things when the DH was first introduced at all in '73. Pitchers had always hit and that is the way baseball should be, no need to change things and introduce a player who just hits. Why make such a rule change. Except they did. And nobody thought having a DH in the AL and none in the NL was just how baseball should be, but it's how it became. The game evolved and people came to accept it, and that's what will happen if they go to a universal DH. That's the way of things in baseball. Mounds get raised or lowered, strike zones in each league get redefined. Evolution of technology, such as in umpire chest protectors changing the way the strike zone was called, evolve the game.

For every Ohtani or Kershaw who can hit, there's a Garrett Richards who gets hurt running the bases causing teams to want to protect their pitchers. There is a large contingent of fans who support the universal DH because they do not want to see pitchers hit, as it is a waste of time and at bats in their view. I don't necessarily agree, but it is a vocal and large contingent. And likely the biggest supporters of the change are the networks who broadcast games whose money mostly fund the operation of the league because DH's hitting providing more offense makes a more appealing television product.

The rules of the game have always changed and evolved though, for whatever reason. They've never been static or monolithic. They're never going to stop evolving either. That's just how baseball is.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 04-03-2021 at 09:15 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

The same way the NFL had to change the rules to protect the $40 million QBs, MLB should change to protect $40 million pitchers.

I dont mind a DH in the National league.

And on the up side my Reds are curb stomping the Cards in their cute little blue uniforms.
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-04-2021 at 06:07 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont mind a DH in the National league.
    I'm also a fervent supporter of having the DH in the Senior Circuit because I hate watching pitchers flail helplessly at the plate....then I watched Zach Wheeler outhit the Braves 2 to 1 in a masterful 4-0 whitewashing of Atlanta this afternoon. Go figure.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    MLB announced they've moved the All-Star Game out of Atlanta due to Georgia's new voting law.
    bring the game to Detroit. Unless the legislature in Michigan does the same thing (legislature is majority GOP, governor is a Democrat).

I am all in for universal DH.

I think pitchers need to be protected.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Are the Giants this bad or are the M's not THAT terrible this year?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

It is a revelation as to how much the fans matter. It's subtle, but the game seems so much...better now that some fans are back in the stands. They did as well as they could with the piped in crowd noise and the cardboard cutouts, but I'm glad fans are back in the stands. If I can, after my vaccine kicks in, I will try to get to a Dodgers' game, and Angels' game, and perhaps a Padres' game.