Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Weakest chars to survive the following trials

What's the weakest chars to not only survive but be able to stay conscious/fight in each of these scenarios?

Scenario 1: Captain America throwing his shield as hard as possible at their head/weakpoint

Scenario 2: Killy from BLAME! shooting them

Scenario 3: Wolverine stabbing the being in their weakspot/head with all his might

Scenario 4: Pain from Naruto unleashing his ultimate attack

Scenario 5: Saitama putting everything he has into a punch

Scenario 6: All of the above at once
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Isn’t 6. basically just 5. plus some chump change?

It’s like “5. Who can survive having a ton of bricks dropped on them? 6. Who can survive having a ton of bricks and a small velvet glove dropped on them?”

My usual answer in these circumstances is Butterball, but I’m not sure he has feats for Saitama-level hits. I think he’s maybe been hit by Ragnarok (Clor), but I’m not sure.

So with that unclear, how about Kitty Pryde? Can Naruto hit intangible people?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

For those who might not be aware, being shot by Killy with the Gravitational Beam Emitter is pretty ridiculous damage. Probably the second hardest hitting thing outside of Serious Punch from Saitama.

Also, which attack from Pain? Shinra Tensei is the big push that basically devastated Konoha and Chibaku Tensei is "gravitational forces bury you in a newly formed small moon," both powerful but kind of different kinds of damage.

And my default answer for these sorts of things is, as ever, Adam Destine.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I always have problems with these.

Typhon (Creatures of Light and Darkness? Certainly not the weakest (plus Wolverine and Saitama just outright die from attacking him).

Arrgh. Not sure. I'm better at deciding if a specific character is capable of XYZ, not 'weakest character capable of XYZ'.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    What's the weakest chars to not only survive but be able to stay conscious/fight in each of these scenarios?

Scenario 1: Captain America throwing his shield as hard as possible at their head/weakpoint

Scenario 2: Killy from BLAME! shooting them

Scenario 3: Wolverine stabbing the being in their weakspot/head with all his might

Scenario 4: Pain from Naruto unleashing his ultimate attack

Scenario 5: Saitama putting everything he has into a punch

Scenario 6: All of the above at once
    Outside of Scenario 6? Anyone with Death Ward cast on them, so any 7th level Cleric with prep.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Outside of Scenario 6? Anyone with Death Ward cast on them, so any 7th level Cleric with prep.
    Looking at the description of the spell I see it negates the attack (or perhaps more accurately the damage?) and keeps the target at 1 HP. Either way does that have any upper limits?

Like, Saitama going all out is like a continental or possibly planetary threat hitting. The GBE hits with wildly beyond nuke level damage in a concentrated beam. Does the spell work if you are like reduced to a stain or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Looking at the description of the spell I see it negates the attack (or perhaps more accurately the damage?) and keeps the target at 1 HP. Either way does that have any upper limits?

Like, Saitama going all out is like a continental or possibly planetary threat hitting. The GBE hits with wildly beyond nuke level damage in a concentrated beam. Does the spell work if you are like reduced to a stain or something?
    No it's kind of broken actually.

In the event you take damage that would kill you (reduce your HP to 0) it instead allows you to survive with 1 HP. And they've been quite firm on "any damage" AFAIK.

A massively stronger spell can't override it, and desintigrating doesn't liquefy you.

Of course it only works for one instance of damage before it needs to be recast so... a followup shot or two quick hits would murderize.

EDIT; that said a dm could be like "okay nah that's.. you totally die. But as the spell's intended to work, it's kinda boosted.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    No it's kind of broken actually.

In the event you take damage that would kill you (reduce your HP to 0) it instead allows you to survive with 1 HP. And they've been quite firm on "any damage" AFAIK.

A massively stronger spell can't override it, and desintigrating doesn't liquefy you.

Of course it only works for one instance of damage before it needs to be recast so... a followup shot or two quick hits would murderize.

EDIT; that said a dm could be like "okay nah that's.. you totally die. But as the spell's intended to work, it's kinda boosted.
    Yeah, you could seriously have someone on 1 HP cast Death Ward, have an opposing wizard cast Meteor Storm at max damage, and lolnope.

I guess you could argue its upper limit is not affecting reality manipulation. Wish and Divine Intervention are still going to ruin his day.

Hmmm...

Okay, and I appreciate this might be stretching the rules of DnD a bit here, but what about the implications of the hit?

Like, say Saitama hits you full on in an uppercut. Death Ward protects you from the effects of your jaw and skull being reduced to a gaseous form but does that cancel the momentum gained from being hit? Are you at 1 HP but rapidly heading toward edge of the Solar System? Or would it be total cancellation of all effects?
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-28-2021 at 09:04 AM.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Yeah, you could seriously have someone on 1 HP cast Death Ward, have an opposing wizard cast Meteor Storm at max damage, and lolnope.
    I thought Meteor Swarm was a multi-hit kind of spell. you know "swarm" rather than "meteor strike".

Also it doesn't work on non-damaging ways to kill people presumably.

Like, say Saitama hits you full on in an uppercut. Death Ward protects you from the effects of your jaw and skulls being reduced to gaseous form but does that cancel the momentum gained from being hit? Are you at 1 HP but rapidly heading toward edge of the Solar System? Or would it be total cancellation of all effects?
    If it doesn't SAY it cancels momentum or knockback, RAW is it doesn't cancel those. Which is bad because 1 HP careening towards a mountain seems like very soon you're going to take another 10d10 damage from "mountain collision".

However, the MunchKING on the other hand deals in FF style combat. When HE loses HP he doesn't go flying ANYWHERE.

Also I've got a few Perfect Shields, and some auto-res effects so I should be fine no matter how strong the power is.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

The next question would be 'what's the top-end damage possible in D&D?'

I imagine it's above the people here, but it's worth investigating for future reference.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Yes, RAW Death Ward would not protect a secondary effect.

So, you at 1 HP get booted off a castle wall. The kick did enough damage to kill you but Death Ward brings you back to 1 HP.

Doesn’t stop the fall damage that happens a few seconds later.

HOWEVER, then it becomes the DM’s prerogative: they can flavor text things if they like or if they feel a move was clever/awesome/foolish. Maybe you got booted off and fell into a pile of hay ala Assassin’s Creed and so remained at 1 HP.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I thought Meteor Swarm was a multi-hit kind of spell. you know "swarm" rather than "meteor strike".
    Sorry, no.

“Blazing orbs of fire plummet to the ground at four different points you can see within range. Each creature in a 40-foot-radius sphere centered on each point you choose must make a Dexterity saving throw. The sphere spreads around corners. A creature takes 20d6 fire damage and 20d6 bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature in the area of more than one fiery burst is affected only once.”

Also it doesn't work on non-damaging ways to kill people presumably.
    True. If an Intellect Devourer chows down on your brain, Death Ward isn’t doing squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Yes, RAW Death Ward would not protect a secondary effect.

So, you at 1 HP get booted off a castle wall. The kick did enough damage to kill you but Death Ward brings you back to 1 HP.

Doesn’t stop the fall damage that happens a few seconds later.

HOWEVER, then it becomes the DM’s prerogative: they can flavor text things if they like or if they feel a move was clever/awesome/foolish. Maybe you got booted off and fell into a pile of hay ala Assassin’s Creed and so remained at 1 HP.
    so, in this scenario, it kind of depends which direction these attacks are coming from you or what's directly around you.

If you're in the arena, which is default, I imagine being hit full out Saitama and then being on 1 HP from Death War won't go well like 0.00001 seconds later when you hit the arena wall at a solid fraction of lightspeed.

Same with Killy and Pain to be honest.

Logan and Steve kind of wonder why they are here.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Sorry, no.

“Blazing orbs of fire plummet to the ground at four different points you can see within range. Each creature in a 40-foot-radius sphere centered on each point you choose must make a Dexterity saving throw. The sphere spreads around corners. A creature takes 20d6 fire damage and 20d6 bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature in the area of more than one fiery burst is affected only once.”

I mean, that's pretty impressive for D&D, but by comparison to getting hit with something that can split a mountain in half, it's pretty weak. D&D have anything that approximates, I don't know, even a nuke (I don't know if it does any more, my knowledge of D&D tops out at 3.5 and really, non-Epic)? Death Ward protect against that?

True. If an Intellect Devourer chows down on your brain, Death Ward isn’t doing squat.
    So basically physical attacks only?

so, in this scenario, it kind of depends which direction these attacks are coming from you or what's directly around you.

If you're in the arena, which is default, I imagine being hit full out Saitama and then being on 1 HP from Death War won't go well like 0.00001 seconds later when you hit the arena wall at a solid fraction of lightspeed.

Same with Killy and Pain to be honest.
    Yeah, the 'can take a single hit and nothing more' rather breaks down when it's not D&D combat logic.
    Why are we here?