Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I've been low-key following Aquaman the whole time because he's like my favorite but it hasn't been wowing me since the creative team switch. Basically I just didn't care much about Sea Gods. But this issue, hoo boy, it was rad. I love that Brad Walker and he's another guy whose art really fits Aquaman really well. I mean his Orm is a little craggy here. Depiction-wise, Ocean Master should be sexy, just dark and handsome sexy, in a way very opposite of Aquaman. Brooding, eyebrow sexy. I mean he is basically Namor, so sex appeal important. So depicting him brutish strikes me as off. But very, very small critique there.

We got an issue that's legit just a triage "too many people in the hospital", "soap opera stuff in the hospital" issue, with an argumentative family and the political players who keep screwing their lives up. A celebration of Mera even as she's in danger and out of commission. Aquaman has a little girl! Who is a premature! Who dear god I hope has playdates with Bruce & Selina's kid!

So just lovely all around.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I've been low-key following Aquaman the whole time because he's like my favorite but it hasn't been wowing me since the creative team switch. Basically I just didn't care much about Sea Gods. But this issue, hoo boy, it was rad. I love that Brad Walker and he's another guy whose art really fits Aquaman really well. I mean his Orm is a little craggy here. Depiction-wise, Ocean Master should be sexy, just dark and handsome sexy, in a way very opposite of Aquaman. Brooding, eyebrow sexy. I mean he is basically Namor, so sex appeal important. So depicting him brutish strikes me as off. But very, very small critique there.

We got an issue that's legit just a triage "too many people in the hospital", "soap opera stuff in the hospital" issue, with an argumentative family and the political players who keep screwing their lives up. A celebration of Mera even as she's in danger and out of commission. Aquaman has a little girl! Who is a premature! Who dear god I hope has playdates with Bruce & Selina's kid!

So just lovely all around.
    That’s how I see Orm as well. I hope KSD doesn’t turn him into a generic villain. I feel like he’s more DC’s parallel to Namor than Aquaman is.

KSD kind of nerfed Mera in this chapter with that glucose thing...

Wasn’t to big on the name Andy wasn’t wanting Eldoris but would of took her over sandy. Nonetheless it was a good issue. Seeing more of Atlantis and how it’s structured is always a good thing.

Orm’s new ally reminds me of Deep Blue his and Aquaman’s sister Post-Crisis

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    That’s how I see Orm as well. I hope KSD doesn’t turn him into a generic villain. I feel like he’s more DC’s parallel to Namor than Aquaman is.

KSD kind of nerfed Mera in this chapter with that glucose thing...

Wasn’t to big on the name Andy wasn’t wanting Eldoris but would of took her over sandy. Nonetheless it was a good issue. Seeing more of Atlantis and how it’s structured is always a good thing.

Orm’s new ally reminds me of Deep Blue his and Aquaman’s sister Post-Crisis
    She made a mech sized hard water construct while pregnant. I don't see that as a nerf. Having a kid does put a lot of strain on a woman's body and this reads like a way to get the baby in Arthur's hands for an arc so we can see him wrestle with fatherhood without Mera stealing the show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She made a mech sized hard water construct while pregnant. I don't see that as a nerf. Having a kid does put a lot of strain on a woman's body and this reads like a way to get the baby in Arthur's hands for an arc so we can see him wrestle with fatherhood without Mera stealing the show.
    And then passed out after it. The pregnancy wasn’t even stated as the reason why due to this recent issue.

She was said to use glucose in her body or something to draw her hydrokinesis..? From my understanding. That’s a limitation.

She has better showings than creating a giant water wrath. Like holding up an entire ocean under Johns, or repelling a Global flood under Snyder. I’d assume both of those showings would be better atleast. By feats Mecha Manta should of been hit with the entire ocean.

[QUOTE=MadFacedKid;4844251]Wasn’t to big on the name Andy wasn’t wanting Eldoris but would of took her over sandy. Nonetheless it was a good issue. Seeing more of Atlantis and how it’s structured is always a good thing.QUOTE]
    I still just have a hard time wrapping my head around naming her "Andy."

Like, I dunno, name her Atlanna and shorten it to Atly/Atlee maybe...

BANNED

I would of liked Atlee just due to the fact the Post-Crisis Atlee was a female elemental(geo-mancer)

Twins would of been cool too but might be weird given Don and Dawn

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Long live the princess! Great issue. Loved the sense of place this issue had. KSD really sells a firm sense of place in all her Aquaman issues lately. It's beautiful story telling.

I'll echo some hope that Orm is written more in the vein of his Year of the Villain one shot by Watters, and Johns/Abnett's stuff. I don't like him being a mustache twirling nemesis.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-21-2020 at 04:54 PM.

New (old) look in today’s issue!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    OUTRAGEOUS!

This book feels really back on track. Or fully on track. Ocean Master's continued ... Namor ... Magnetoeyness ... continues to be excellent. While I think we can obviously suspect him being behind the kidnapping (should we suspect Tula, his sister, a little?, maybe?) and he's going about it wrong ... could he prove to be Uncle of the Year? Possibility. Or it might not be him, could be a red herring. Kid's precocious, too. Could have just toddled off.

Great costume tweak. Cute date night. Interesting relationship and political dynamic. Fun life. Plenty of Aqualad. Sharp artwork. Good times.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    It was about time. Hopefully the shirtless covers are inaccurate .

Mighty Member

I remember reading this fight in the old Deathstroke series as a kid. It was the first time I realized how powerful Arthur was. Even Slade know he is in trouble and this was in his own book.

Mighty Member

Next page of the fight:

Arthur man-handling Slade is pretty fun to read .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Next page of the fight:

Yeah Slade bouncing off Aquaman has definitely got to be one of my favorite powerhouse moments for Aquaman. I also like that PAD moment where he finger flicked a guy across room. Him being a powerhouse is definitely nothing new. Though it was cool seeing stuff like pushing down an oceanic trench

Incredible Member

I'm glad to see Dolphin again but I'm really concerned about her. While I highly doubt the writer will have her turn on Aquaman I won't rule it out completely either. More likely she won't turn against him and will be hated by the other sea-changed because of it. I also can't help wondering if Orm's 'cure' is just a drug that suppresses the symptoms of the "great sickness" like on that episode of Star Trek: TNG.