Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman #27 Spoilers and Discussion

We’re almost at the end of the ride. Just one more issue after this. This issue was bloody fantastic. I think this may be my favorite issue so far. Bendis is going to end up being one of my favorite writers for Clark with how he nails the voice. Superman trying to stop fighting and reach through to Synmar? Choosing to follow him off the map and into the unknown because he believes that strongly in communication over violence? Beautiful. And very curious to see what happens to Clark under an orange sun, we’ve never really gotten an explanation of what happens to Clark under suns not colored red, yellow, or blue I don’t think. It seems like orange suns make him feel sick or paralyze him.

Reis draws the absolute hell out of this. The fight scenes are incredible as always, the facial expressions are excellent at conveying how the characters feel. I love how Clark’s powers are expressed here, especially how x-Ray/super sight vision has become as cool visually as heat vision. God I’m going to miss him on Superman.

But of course the highlight of the book is:

HE’S BACK AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA SUCK IT HATERS XA-DU IS STILL CANON! I’m so happy I’m not even upset he jobbed because against all odds I actually like Synmar, he’s cool in a way Rogal wasn’t, Superman tossing his ass back into the PZ was both hilarious and awesome, and I’m just so happy he’s still canon and being acknowledged (by Bendis no less!). Given how strong the Morrison influence on Superman in Future State can be seen, it makes me hopeful more of Morrison’s New 52 ideas will be brought back into play. Would love to see Vyn or Nimrod return as well.

BANNED

I read that the JL would be part of the comic (I don't know why DC keeps calling him superman, it's clearly a JL comic) so 2 questions.
    role of the JL.
    Superman defeat the villain or watch others do their job.

Xa-Du wasn't canon? He appeared in Supergirl Rebirth by Steve Orlando.

Incredible Member

So Superman is dumber under an Orange Sun

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    I read that the JL would be part of the comic (I don't know why DC keeps calling him superman, it's clearly a JL comic) so 2 questions.
    role of the JL.
    Superman defeat the villain or watch others do their job.
    They’re not in this at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Xa-Du wasn't canon? He appeared in Supergirl Rebirth by Steve Orlando.
    Hah did he show up there? I never read Orlando’s Supergirl past the first arc. I thought it was boring just like his JLA, maybe I’ll go check it out, see if he improved. But having Xa show up in the main Superman book is a nice step up in reminding people that he’s still around imo.
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-10-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hah did he show up there? I never read Orlando’s Supergirl past the first arc. I thought it was boring just like his JLA, maybe I’ll go check it out, see if he improved. But having Xa show up in the main Superman book is a nice step up in reminding people that he’s still around imo.
    Yeah, it was the second arc where she and Batgirl teamed-up in the Phantom Zone.

BANNED

They’re not in this at all.

the synopsis of the comic said that the JL was part of the story

Astonishing Member

Unless I missed them on panel, I didn't see anyone except Superman, Lois, Lana, Xa-du and Synmar.

Solicits lie. Especially Bendis solicits. They’re not in this issue at all. They don’t show up. They don’t cameo. They don’t even get mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    So Superman is dumber under an Orange Sun
    I mean, it's not a Superman run if they don't introduce another needless weakness, Tomasi did the prayer stuff right?

Also, he probably didn't wanted to introduce another random kryptonite.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I mean, it's not a Superman run if they don't introduce another needless weakness, Tomasi did the prayer stuff right?
    Well orange is between red and yellow on the color spectrum right? Makes sense that he’d be weaker compared to a yellow sun or that he gets negatively impacted in some way (he seems to be keeping his powers though, so that’s an interesting trade off). I want to see what he’s like under other colored suns! Green would be interesting given it’s between yellow and blue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post

Also, he probably didn't wanted to introduce another random kryptonite.
    Superman has more weaknesses than powers, every day he gets closer to being a weak-man

Astonishing Member

Well orange is between red and yellow on the color spectrum right? Makes sense that he’d be weaker compared to a yellow sun or that he gets negatively impacted in some way (he seems to be keeping his powers though, so that’s an interesting trade off). I want to see what he’s like under other colored suns! Green would be interesting given it’s between yellow and blue.
    I genuinely curious about this as well. It makes sense for him to be weaker in an orange sun. so what do the other different colored suns do that are not yellow and red?

BANNED

It seems that many do not realize the damage that the image of Superman can suffer, if this nonsense of the sun begins to be taken seriously. Superman is described as a very intelligent person, but that intelligence is not shown, it is normal that it is quite stupid if you compare it with the rest of the JL (especially Batman), that's why Superman has a reputation for being a fool, now it turns out that his intelligence It is thanks to the sun, which means that superman without the sun, not only would he lose his powers, but he would be even more foolish, without the sun, superman would be the typical redneck you see in the movies.

Astonishing Member

From what I can tell, the effects of the sun been taken seriously for the last few decades, affecting mainly his physical abilities. It's not going away soon. From what I gather, live action Superman's super intellect has never been expressed, he's just a regular guy compared to the comics, so I hardly think one line from a very divisive, penultimate Bendis book will have as big an impact as you imagine.