Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Is anyone else's hopeing avengers infinity war underpeforms? I know it's Petty and a long shot and I know it's not so nice but as a DC fan I kinda want to see marvel get a does of the DCEU misstep now I feel like a sowerpuss.
    Last edited by choptop; 01-11-2018 at 02:19 PM.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Is anyone else's hopeing avgers underpeforms? I know it's Petey and a long shot and I know it's not so nice but as a DC fan I kinda want to see marvel get a does of the DCEU misstep now I feel like a sowerpuss.
    That would hurt DC, cause people will blame DC for the residual hate. You already have people like Spielberg and Jody Foster clamoring for these films to fail. Wich is why i want DC to have their own identity and tone. Something JL failed at trying to please too many people that didn't like BvS.

Is anyone else's hopeing avgers underpeforms? I know it's Petey and a long shot and I know it's not so nice but as a DC fan I kinda want to see marvel get a does of the DCEU misstep now I feel like a sowerpuss.
    Don't get your hopes up.

You had to put "DCEU" in front of that "Misstep" for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Don't get your hopes up.

You had to put "DCEU" in front of that "Misstep" for a reason.
    Yup we all know what DC did worng over spending is a big part in my opinion. But ya I'm not it's why I was saying it's a Longshot. allso just to be clear I don't want it to be a box office dud just under perform.
    Last edited by choptop; 01-11-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Sure.

I just don't even see it being an even remotely realistic possibility. Lots of things would have to line up for that to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Sure.

I just don't even see it being an even remotely realistic possibility. Lots of things would have to line up for that to occur.
    For sure I give it 99.9% odds of success but stranger things have happened.

That's because you are a sourpuss.

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    That's because you are a sourpuss.
    At least half of one seeing as I'm Olney halfway serious.

DCEU so far has all been missteps. Except for Wonder Woman and to an extent Man of Steel in my opinion. As a DC fan i want MCU to succeed. First i do love the Marvel films. And second i subscribe to the theory that Marvel film's success actually boosts DC as well as the Fox's X-Men films.

A number of casual audiences are there just to see a big superhero film. When they have a good experience in a superhero film they are likely to return to the next one. To give a chance to the next film. If they had a terrible experience they may not give the next film a chance. If the next year's first six films are a success it can help Aquaman. Its noticeable that after Avengers of 2012 any superhero film is earning 500-600 million quite easily. Before that the usual numbers were 300 million or 400 million. Avengers is one reason that worldwide people love superhero films and its a big genre right now.

Failure of Avengers IW is not good news for anyone in my opinion. Unless IW turns out to be terrible, it would do really good at the BO. If Aquaman is bad nothing can help it. But it would get some boost.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-11-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    That would hurt DC, cause people will blame DC for the residual hate. You already have people like Spielberg and Jody Foster clamoring for these films to fail. Wich is why i want DC to have their own identity and tone. Something JL failed at trying to please too many people that didn't like BvS.
    But that sort of thing, like the cutdown session at the Oscars, just irritates people who like the movies and motivates people who maybe only have a mild interest to be even more likely to go see them.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Man, Spielberg too? I hadn't heard that one...kind of hypocritical to slam big budget CGI-fests when you have your own big budget CGI-fest coming out soon (Ready Player One). As for Foster, "Wonder" just proved there is still a healthy market for smaller, more personal films with a message. I think it's just sour grapes that a genre she doesn't care for has taken the world by storm, just as lone action heroes did in the 70's & 80's and the Western genre before that.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Man, Spielberg too? I hadn't heard that one...kind of hypocritical to slam big budget CGI-fests when you have your own big budget CGI-fest coming out soon (Ready Player One). As for Foster, "Wonder" just proved there is still a healthy market for smaller, more personal films with a message. I think it's just sour grapes that a genre she doesn't care for has taken the world by storm, just as lone action heroes did in the 70's & 80's and the Western genre before that.
    Worse yet, she used the term "the masses" to refer to what most people want compared to what she wants so it really comes down to giving people the movies they really want as opposed to the movies you feel they should want. She can say they are ruining movie audiences by conditioning them to prefer big special effects action superhero movies. But all you really have to do is offer them. No conditioning required.

The original Star Wars (Episode 4) didn't need any "conditioning". The moment it was out there, it was a phenomenon. It could even more validly be argued that what she prefers is to condition people to see the movies she likes by making them the ones that are mostly available so people will see them as there is no alternative. Give them that fun action superhero alternative and they are in the theater for that rather than what she wants.
    Power with Girl is better.

For sure I give it 99.9% odds of success but stranger things have happened.
    Whats underperform ? Less the AoU or Cvil War? less then 1billion? I dont think any of that happens though, we will have to see if it passes the first Avenger movie

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Whats underperform ?
    It's when a movie makes less money than the subjective amount the studio had expected it would have made for whatever reasons.

The actual amount of money it made and how successful it was or wasn't, or how (un)realistic the studio's expectations were doesn't play a role in this.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    ...As for Foster... I think it's just sour grapes that a genre she doesn't care for has taken the world by storm, just as lone action heroes did in the 70's & 80's and the Western genre before that.
    If books and films are to be believed, Theater and Cinema have always been rife with a mentality of "Your failure is the next best thing to my success." What's more I can see Foster thinking, "The budget for just one of those drains the funding pool for seven of mine."