Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have a more detailed chronological order, which has each storyline in order, but the one I posted is a simple way to read the series in chronological order without swiping between TPB or Omnibus.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    I have a more detailed chronological order, which has each storyline in order, but the one I posted is a simple way to read the series in chronological order without swiping between TPB or Omnibus.

Morsoth, you're going to destroy my summer!

I am just getting through the first Hellboy Omni

I know right?

My first Hellboy book was also the Hellboy Omnibus TPB from last year... I loved it so much that I tracked and bought everything else. I just finished reading B.P.R.D. The Devil You Know - Volume 2: Pandemonium, and now I'm waiting for Crimson Lotus, B.P.R.D. The Devil You Know - Volume 3: Ragna Rock, Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1956 and Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Saturn Returns...

I seriously don't know why I waited so long before reading these comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    I know right?

My first Hellboy book was also the Hellboy Omnibus TPB from last year... I loved it so much that I tracked and bought everything else. I just finished reading B.P.R.D. The Devil You Know - Volume 2: Pandemonium, and now I'm waiting for Crimson Lotus, B.P.R.D. The Devil You Know - Volume 3: Ragna Rock, Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1956 and Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Saturn Returns...

You're telling me, I love stories that deal with mythology and have a deep lore; so, for the longest time I've been hooked on Aaron's Thor run. However, that is coming to an end later this year and because Hellboy just ended I was like why not, I don't have to wait for monthlys anymore I can just pick up the omnis or TPB as I go.

I forgot how good it feels to read a book that comes from a single creative force.

The tone, the atmosphere, the ART!, I was sleeping on Hellboy for a long time, and now I have awoken like Anung Un Rama

Originally Posted by Morsoth
    I know right?

My first Hellboy book was also the Hellboy Omnibus TPB from last year... I loved it so much that I tracked and bought everything else. I just finished
    essays agency reading B.P.R.D. The Devil You Know - Volume 2: Pandemonium, and now I'm waiting for Crimson Lotus, B.P.R.D. The Devil You Know - Volume 3: Ragna Rock, Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1956 and Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Saturn Returns...

I even envy you a little
    I'm now disappointed, cause I just believed some reviews. I saw the Hellboy Omnibus TPB on sale on one of the forums (some guy was selling it, half the usual price). Jeez, and I missed that chance. And why, why I read those reviews and didn't buy it then...
    Last edited by lumusislight; 07-11-2019 at 04:49 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by lumusislight View Post
    I even envy you a little
    I'm now disappointed, cause I just believed some reviews. I saw the Hellboy Omnibus TPB on sale on one of the forums (some guy was selling it, half the usual price). Jeez, and I missed that chance. And why, why I read those reviews and didn't buy it then...
    I was sleeping on this world, like I don't know why I didn't give it a chance; but not that it's done I can read it in one go.

I just finished the first 2 Hellboy Omnis and not I am on Plague of Frogs omni volume 1, I cannot believe how good it is.

The thing I love is the atmosphere, everything has a melancholic ethos behind it and it is so heart wrenching because of how Ragna Rok ended.

Just finished the Third Hellboy Omnibus!

I feel like reading it in the Omnis makes the run move like steam train.

I don't know the publish dates but how long did it take to get to The Storm & Fury from Seed of Destruction?

I feel like I ate through the first 3 omnibuses so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Just finished the Third Hellboy Omnibus!

I feel like reading it in the Omnis makes the run move like steam train.

I don't know the publish dates but how long did it take to get to The Storm & Fury from Seed of Destruction?

I feel like I ate through the first 3 omnibuses so quickly.
    Seed of Destruction #1 came out March 1994. The Fury #3 came out 17 years later, in August, 2011. If you're interested in the timeline, you might want to check this out.
    Last edited by middenway; 07-18-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Seed of Destruction #1 came out March 1994. The Fury #3 came out 17 years later, in August, 2011. If you're interested in the timeline, you might want to check this out.
    Wow, thanks!

Is there a particular reason why there are so few books per year? Is it a choice on the creators or was it because of the demand of the book?

Also was The Fury meant to be the finale or was it always meant to be a way to introduce Hellboy to Hell? Because if I didn't know how it really ended I would have thought the Fury is the finale especially because of the flowers growing and all of the iconography from the prophecy.

Hellboy in Hell was always planned as the follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Hellboy in Hell was always planned as the follow up.
    Ah, okay very cool. So did Mignola intend to end the current "cycle" and reboot Hellboy for the new movie? Are they planning on rebooting it, or am I still thinking through the lens of DC and Marvel?

Nope, no reboots, the various series continue on. Even as some have ended new ones have been added. Currently the flagship title would be Hellboy and the BPRD, which is a series that takes place in the past similar to the short stories collections.

Killing Hellboy and sending him to Hell was just part of a very long term plan for the character. Originally the series was presented as Mignola’s retirement project, something he could work on at his own pace and make as weird as he wanted. Of course it didn’t go quite that direction

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Nope, no reboots, the various series continue on. Even as some have ended new ones have been added. Currently the flagship title would be Hellboy and the BPRD, which is a series that takes place in the past similar to the short stories collections.

Killing Hellboy and sending him to Hell was just part of a very long term plan for the character. Originally the series was presented as Mignola’s retirement project, something he could work on at his own pace and make as weird as he wanted. Of course it didn’t go quite that direction
    Very cool, I am so excited to get through it even more so. Just started reading book 3 of BPRD, Daimio is the homey

Okay just finished first Four Hellboy Omnibuses, the first Hellboy Short Story Omnibus, and the entirety of Plague of Frogs.

All I gotta say is "Whoa."

I never realized how lonely the Hellboy title felt and how bombastic BPRD is/was.

First question did Mignola design Hellboy to simply be lost at sea for years? Does volume two of Hellboy Short Stories go into these years at sea?

Second (rhetorical) question what the hell hammed to Daimio!? I know it must be addressed in Hell on Earth, but what a gut punch. I guess I thought he was going to be sticking around especially because he was in the Hellboy reboot movie (haven't seen it yet).

Third question, I honestly thought Rasputin was going to be running around pulling the strings to get Hellboy to initiate Ragna Rok, but he's completely off the board.

Fourth question, where is the Elf Prince from Hellboy: The Golden Army? Is that story arc in Hell on Earth? He is one of the coolest characters, especially since he is a stand in for environmentalism (i.e. why destroy the magical world, the world will be less for it; so cool).

Fifth question, when does Hellboy reconnect with the rest of the crew?

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Okay just finished first Four Hellboy Omnibuses, the first Hellboy Short Story Omnibus, and the entirety of Plague of Frogs.

All I gotta say is "Whoa."

I never realized how lonely the Hellboy title felt and how bombastic BPRD is/was.

First question did Mignola design Hellboy to simply be lost at sea for years? Does volume two of Hellboy Short Stories go into these years at sea?

Second (rhetorical) question what the hell hammed to Daimio!? I know it must be addressed in Hell on Earth, but what a gut punch. I guess I thought he was going to be sticking around especially because he was in the Hellboy reboot movie (haven't seen it yet).

Third question, I honestly thought Rasputin was going to be running around pulling the strings to get Hellboy to initiate Ragna Rok, but he's completely off the board.

Fourth question, where is the Elf Prince from Hellboy: The Golden Army? Is that story arc in Hell on Earth? He is one of the coolest characters, especially since he is a stand in for environmentalism (i.e. why destroy the magical world, the world will be less for it; so cool).

Fifth question, when does Hellboy reconnect with the rest of the crew?
    It's been too long since I read the Hellboy-lost-at-sea stuff, I don't remember that well enough to say. The elf prince is completely a movie creation, but the themes of the magical parts of the world dying and shrinking away show up in the stories with fairies, as far back as The Corpse.

Hellboy reconnecting with the rest of the crew is pretty spoilery, I'll put it in spoiler tags if you want to know:
    spoilers:
    He doesn't do that until BPRD: The Devil You Know.
    end of spoilers
    @lobster20000 on Instagram