Page 1026 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 265269269761016102210231024102510261027102810291030103610761126 ... LastLast
Results 15,376 to 15,390 of 20742
    Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    Interesting. I already have the four epics that have been released so far so I’ll probably skip this then. Thanks for confirming the eternals omni as well.
    Are you talking about Busiek's Conan? They made epics of those?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    Are you talking about Busiek's Conan? They made epics of those?
    Yeah, so far four epic collections have been released. Out of the Darksome Hills, The Heart of Yag-Kosha, Return to Cimmeria, and The Battle of Shamla Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Excalibur Omnibus Vol. 1 HC - contents being held back as they're being revised. They'll change from being creator-centric to a full series collection.
    That's going to be a mistake. Nobody wants to read Excalibur that wasn't written by Claremont nor Davis (and perhaps later, Ellis). There's going to be a lot of garbage in the Excalibur omnis.....With the earlier part of the run, I couldn't even read the issues Davis didn't do artwork in.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    There's no evidence yet that they'll double-dip with the event stuff (which is not to say they can't change their philosophy on this). X-Force omnibus v1 is bracketed by X-Tinction Agenda and X-Cutioner's Song, for example. The Dark Phoenix omni was, like the Venom omnis, about capitalizing on story/character popularity, and not meant to fit into the sequential omnis on your shelf. I assume UXM v5 will end with X-Factor 8 and Uncanny 209 (are those the right issues before MM?), but who knows?
    Good points. Yes Mutant Massacre contains the follow up issues for both. I still don't get what their thinking was for excluding X-Tinction Agenda from any omni actually. The Jim Lee omnis have a small gap as a result.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    The Dark Phoenix Omni was released after the UXM Vol 2, so saying it was fit into the numbered volumes is incorrect. I agree with bob.schoonover above that it was more about the character promotion based on the movie release. I also think the event omnis and ohcs will stand on their own going forward and not replaced by numbered volumes. The Original massacre ohc was released very early in Marvels development of the format and they had no idea how big it would become. After the format became established and they started fitting in all the other volumes around it they probably realized they needed to expand the content to complete the unbroken run of X family in the format more efficiently. If they intended to overwrite the event books with numbered volumes I think they would have just waited until they got to the theoretical volume 6 to rerelease massacre in omnibus as they had no real reason to “rush” it out before the preceding volumes. I also think that the UXM volume numbers would become less relevant as you hit the cross over period due to the large amount of cross overs required for a comprehensive/cohesive reading experience. In the cross over era it really is about the X family of books more so than just UXM.
    I hadn't realized. My bad for the mistake. So I guess after a theoretical 5th Uncanny omni it would run straight into Mutant Massacre omni, and they'd follow up with a Fall of the Mutants reprinted in omnibus name, and the two Inferno books would get reprinted as omnis as well I guess. Then iirc that would run into the first Jim Lee omni.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    That's going to be a mistake. Nobody wants to read Excalibur that wasn't written by Claremont nor Davis (and perhaps later, Ellis). There's going to be a lot of garbage in the Excalibur omnis.....With the earlier part of the run, I couldn't even read the issues Davis didn't do artwork in.
    Ha, I feel exactly the the opposite. I love the idea of having the books in my collection as an archive. I tend to skip books that are too creator-centric at the expense of orphaned issues.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Seeing all these UXM reprints coming out has made me slam the brakes on buying the Epics. Christ I wish they'd do the same reprint sprint for Spider-Man.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by silaslesnick View Post
    Ha, I feel exactly the the opposite. I love the idea of having the books in my collection as an archive. I tend to skip books that are too creator-centric at the expense of orphaned issues.
    Exactly. For every person that would complain that the books are unreadable, you’d have just as many others complaining about the books being incomplete. Personally, I’d say completeness is the safer bet - you can always flip through issues you don’t want to read, but the people that want everything would be left high and dry if Marvel decided to leave that stuff out.

At least Marvel isn’t going the DC route of “lets do artist-centric collections that are completely unreadable because they leave out issues integral to storylines and not publish any alternative that includes the complete stories”.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    At least Marvel isn’t going the DC route of “lets do artist-centric collections that are completely unreadable because they leave out issues integral to storylines and not publish any alternative that includes the complete stories”.
    Well, they did publish a Byrne Spidey Omni full of half stories, the alternative being the old and hard to find "Next Chapter" TPBs - at least Vol. 3. That was rather head-scratching.

Well, they did publish a Byrne Spidey Omni full of half stories, the alternative being the old and hard to find "Next Chapter" TPBs - at least Vol. 3. That was rather head-scratching.
    Yuck, I wasn’t aware of that. I guess I should say at least Marvel doesn’t usually do that then!

Quote Originally Posted by silaslesnick View Post
    I agree. for one thing, there are many who have never read the material, so they won't know what's great and what's less than great. Plus with Collector OCD, we just want everything on our shelves, so making it "volume 1" makes a lot of sense to me. If (let's just say) "volume 2" is total garbage, guess what? people will still buy it, including hardcore x-fans who KNOW the material is garbage, because of Collector OCD. I have it, too, so I'm not throwing stones. And this is not a jab at you, Ramsay, or anyone else, it's just my opinion.

Also, I think there's more folks who collect these books who DON'T come to boards like this vs ones who do. I come across (via Ebay, elsewhere) numerous folks who only buy their omnibuses from Amazon and have no idea that IST/TOW/CGN exists, or sites like this exist. They're out in the wild, stumbling around, totally dependent on Amazon's release dates to sort out what's coming out and what is already out, etc... I used to be one of them, I know they're out there. ;-) So for people like them, for sure, if there's a vol 1 and vol 2, and vol 2 is not great, they'll buy it anyways most likely because they don't know.

IMO, it's the same as with Conan. From what I hear, after Roy leaves, material quality drops. Will I continue to get the omnibuses after that? I can't say for certain, but Magic 8-Ball points to "it is likely".
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Amazing Member

For what it's worth I also like stories to be complete too, even if some are of less good quality. I don't mind if things are left out because quality is unanimously regarded as terrible, but that's rarely the case I think (almost always someone will like the content others don't).

I think the upcoming Byrne She-Hulk omni skips a ton of issues of when Byrne was off the series, but reportedly it's retconned material anyway once Byrne came back, so in that kind of case where an author took charge of all the stories under his own name I can understand an omni compiling just that. The Byrne Spider Man omni doesn't make much sense to me however.

Spectacular Member

Looks like the first omnibus of Brubaker's Daredevil is starting to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBlueThunder View Post
    I believe UXM4 is confirmed to be released in November 2020. My spreadsheet shows the X-men related reprints and new volumes as:

Astonishing X-Men (Whedon) - 21-April-2020
    UXM vol. 1 (Claremont) - 9-June-2020
    UXM vol. 2 (Claremont) - September 2020
    Excalibur - September 2020
    UXM vol. 3 (Claremont) - October 2020
    X-Men vol. 1 (Claremont/Lee) - October 2020
    New Mutants - November 2020
    UXM vol. 4 (Claremont) - November 2020
    X-Men (Claremont/Lee) - December 2020
    Wow, they're really trying to kill us X-Fans this year lol.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Disney trying to get as much interest in the brand as possible, before they start production on the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    By the way Manymade1, who is the artist of your avatar? Looks great and I'm guessing something from the post 2000 era (the era I'm least familiar with as a fan of classic comics).
    Thanks! I actually didn't know the answer to that myself lol. I'm pretty sure I picked this on my first day of joining the site.

Astonishing Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP-CHJ4Jna8

An Advance Look At Marvel Collected Editions Releasing in October & November of 2020!!