Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Diana is too fast and has the power to knock Carol out. Carol will never make it to the sky.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Diana's Doomsday dismembering sword and superior reflex speed may get her the victory in melee range, but Diana's travel speed doesn't seem anywhere near fast enough to close range on Carol before she just takes to the sky and fricasees the arena, and the limits of her durability are still a mystery as she didn't even kind of take damage from anything after going Binary.
    I think people tend to underestimate Diana's travel speed quite a bit, so she might be able to close in before she gets air born. Also, she can probably absorb those photon blasts like she's done to heat vision, Doomsday energy flares, magic lightning, and plain old kinetic energy. If she can redirect that to knock Carol out of the sky she has a shot.

But yeah, Carol's ranged game will cause issues here.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyvurg View Post
    I have not seen CM.

If they keep Carol's ability to absorb energy the outcome is obvious. Painfully so. She will absorb the power of the stones and reverse the snap, but just as the snap destroyed the IG itself, reversing it will either kill Danvers or put her in a coma, either way she becomes Marvel Jesus.
    This seems unlikely given she's a new character they can build a mini franchise around. Unless Captain Marvel tanks, I can't see them killing off those potential profits. Also, she didn't really display any energy absorbtion. Blasts, flight, and some energy disruption she had though.

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Diana is too fast and has the power to knock Carol out. Carol will never make it to the sky.
    I actually don't think Diana can likely knock Carol out. Her best shot at victory is going for the kill with the sword.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Honestly, I don't know that Carol's ever used Photon Blasts strong enough to particularly annoy herself if one gets bounced back at her once she managed to attain her full power. And I don't think that Diana has ever showed the ability to close 100 feet faster than Carol can think "up", at which point her travel speed is way beyond WW's.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I actually don't think Diana can likely knock Carol out. Her best shot at victory is going for the kill with the sword.
    Carol's best durability feats are taking shots from Kree and tanking a Kree fighter flying into her. Diana's best durability feats are taking shots from Doomsday, Ares, Superman, and Steppenwolf. In addition, Diana has punched all of those hard enough for them to feel it.

Carol is nowhere close to that level yet. That might change next month in Endgame, but for now, she isn't powerful enough.

I'm not saying Diana's first punch will knock Carol out. However, it's damn sure going to make Carol woozy enough for Diana to continue to punch her until she is knocked out.

And that's not even getting into the God killing power or super speed that Diana possesses. Carol is screwed trying to fight Diana.

Carol's best durability feats are taking shots from Kree and tanking a Kree fighter flying into her. Diana's best durability feats are taking shots from Doomsday, Ares, Superman, and Steppenwolf. In addition, Diana has punched all of those hard enough for them to feel it.
    Carol's best durability feats are surviving reentry (twice, the first time shielded from heat but hitting the ground, the second taking the full heat of reentry, but flying before hitting the ground), flying through and ignoring a massive blast of dozens of kree bombs exploding, and flying through a very large Kree spaceship and having it explode - none of which registered or even taken damage from. You're underplaying Carol's feats a tad.

On the other hand, the only characters in your list that hit hard enough to matter are Doomsday and Superman. None of the others have strength/damage feats anywhere close.

Also, feats for Wonder Woman having the movement speed to cross 100" before Carol flies up? (and no, not "she's a bullet-timer", actual movement speed of moving said distances in say, less than a second)

Diana has punched all of those hard enough for them to feel it.
    In addition, by "feel it" in the case of Superman and Doomsday (the only ones with the strength and durability feats in your list to hang with Carol), you mean "mildly register her punches and slap her aside like nothing".
    Last edited by Twickster; 03-11-2019 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Carol's best durability feats are surviving reentry (twice, the first time shielded from heat but hitting the ground, the second taking the full heat of reentry, but flying before hitting the ground), flying through and ignoring a massive blast of dozens of kree bombs exploding, and flying through a very large Kree spaceship and having it explode - none of which registered or even taken damage from. You're underplaying Carol's feats a tad.

On the other hand, the only characters in your list that hit hard enough to matter are Doomsday and Superman. None of the others have strength/damage feats anywhere close.

Also, feats for Wonder Woman having the movement speed to cross 100" before Carol flies up? (and no, not "she's a bullet-timer", actual movement speed of moving said distances in say, less than a second)

In addition, by "feel it" in the case of Superman and Doomsday (the only ones with the strength and durability feats in your list to hang with Carol), you mean "mildly register her punches and slap her aside like nothing".
    In a bizarre twist of fate, Twickster and I actually see eye to eye on this :P

As for WW movement speed, she definitely has some. The initial leap she makes at Doomsday. The final dash she takes at Ares right before his death.

The best one is her disappearing from sight just before Ares crushes her with a huge chunk of earth.

Is it fast enough for the 1 second thing? Eh. My money is on yes, but it's very close to say. Mileage may vary.

I will say that an advanced screening on her "1984" sequel has people saying things about her running at super speeds with a blur and everything, but who knows for sure until it's out.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    The best one is her disappearing from sight just before Ares crushes her with a huge chunk of earth.
    See, this is a good feat which shows actual travel speed in a combat situation (and coincidentally, also at around 100"). Only, it takes her several seconds to flash step from where she was to Aries (see 1:00 below - it takes her three seconds, in fact).

If that's the best travel speed feat Diana has, its not fast enough to prevent Carol from going airborne.
    Last edited by Twickster; 03-11-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Mighty Member

Ok, I did forget about the landing hard on the ground, but honestly that's Iron Man levels of durability. The same is true for flying through the exploding missiles (which honestly was almost an exact re-shot of Tony flying through exploding Chitauri ships from Avengers, very cool visual but doesn't really require much durability) and blasting through the Kree spaceship, but I thought she flew out before it actually exploded. If not, it adds to her durability, making her probably up there with Hulkbuster Iron Man.

Yeah, but those two a far, far superior to anything Captain Marvel dealt with.

No one seems to remember that Diana blocked fire from multiple gunmen to multiple targets in less than a second at the beginning of Justice League. This, and the speed feats listed Arbiter I would argue prove that Diana is punching Carol before Carol even realizes the fight has begun.

By hang with Carol, I assume you mean demonstrated strength and durability at least hundreds of magnitudes higher than anything Carol tanked. Seriously, name one durability feat by Carol in the movie that Iron Man couldn't also do.

There isn't one.

Now, Carol's probably getting a massive power boost in Endgame. They've been teasing that for a year. But until that happens, we only have this singular movie, and while Carol is impressive, she hasn't demonstrated that she can hit Diana, much less hurt her, while Diana has plenty of feats showing that she has the speed, durability, power, and strength to harm Carol.

No one seems to remember that Diana blocked fire from multiple gunmen to multiple targets in less than a second at the beginning of Justice League. This, and the speed feats listed Arbiter I would argue prove that Diana is punching Carol before Carol even realizes the fight has begun.
    I said no "but she's a bullet timer" statements to prove she can somehow cross distances involved in less than a second. Where are the actual travel feats? Its a completely regular thing in fiction to have reflex speed, but not equal travel speed, and vice versa. Or in the inverse, are you really saying that reflex speed = travel speed? Because you should be really careful in stating this in an argument where a character is shown to be able to fly from earth to orbit in seconds and keep up with a spaceship going interstellar distances.

By hang with Carol, I assume you mean demonstrated strength and durability at least hundreds of magnitudes higher than anything Carol tanked. Seriously, name one durability feat by Carol in the movie that Iron Man couldn't also do.

There isn't one.
    Iron Man can't fly though a giant spaceship and make it explode.

Now, Carol's probably getting a massive power boost in Endgame. They've been teasing that for a year. But until that happens, we only have this singular movie, and while Carol is impressive, she hasn't demonstrated that she can hit Diana, much less hurt her, while Diana has plenty of feats showing that she has the speed, durability, power, and strength to harm Carol.
    No need, you're really underselling here.
    Last edited by Twickster; 03-11-2019 at 03:11 AM.

Ultimate Member

Ok, I did forget about the landing hard on the ground, but honestly that's Iron Man levels of durability. The same is true for flying through the exploding missiles (which honestly was almost an exact re-shot of Tony flying through exploding Chitauri ships from Avengers, very cool visual but doesn't really require much durability) and blasting through the Kree spaceship, but I thought she flew out before it actually exploded. If not, it adds to her durability, making her probably up there with Hulkbuster Iron Man.

Yeah, but those two a far, far superior to anything Captain Marvel dealt with.

There isn't one.

She might not be able to hit Diana (cos of speed) but considering she was strong enough to push back that very huge missile, she's definitely strong enough to hurt Diana.

Ultimate Member

If it's a quick draw, it's reflex speed vs travel speed because 1) Diana can't fly but has super fast reflexes 2) Carol doesn't have super fast reflexes but her flight speed is insane.

It comes down to whichever one of them can access said speed faster.

See, this is a good feat which shows actual travel speed in a combat situation (and coincidentally, also at around 100"). Only, it takes her several seconds to flash step from where she was to Aries (see 1:00 below - it takes her three seconds, in fact).

If that's the best travel speed feat Diana has, its not fast enough to prevent Carol from going airborne.
    My thing is, if slowed down to 1/4 speed, we see that she shoots away completely sideways to the thing instead of straight at Ares. Considering her return angle to the guy, she's clearly traveled well beyond 100 feet. I just dont know WHY she did it that way. I guess She figured he would intercept a straight charge?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    in the comic book story thanos was stopped by captain marvel first and Adam next. wonder if endgame is going to impart a lion's role to any particular character in endgame in taking down thanos. if so I would put money on it being CM as we also have the spoilers:
    tesseract
    end of spoilers macguffin reinserted into the narrative which was a major factor in the comic storyline and CM was instrumental in thwarting thanos by shattering it. here it seems that the spoilers:
    cosmic cube
    end of spoilers will be used against thanos by CM.
    That was when Thanos was powered up by the cosmic cube, not the infinity guantlet. Thanos smashed the tessract to get the space stone, that was in it. Unless you rebuild the tesseract and somehow use it to reclaim the space stone, what you propose can't happen.
    The 2 situations have nothing in common.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    My thing is, if slowed down to 1/4 speed, we see that she shoots away completely sideways to the thing instead of straight at Ares. Considering her return angle to the guy, she's clearly traveled well beyond 100 feet. I just dont know WHY she did it that way. I guess She figured he would intercept a straight charge?
    This is obviously debatable. One can just as easily say that she just stepped very slightly out of the screen and made a very shallow arc towards Aries, making it much closer to 100" - there's really no way to know. What is known though is that in an actual example of a life-or-death fight, it takes her 3 seconds to cross around a 100" distance. I say that it isn't enough to stop Carol from going airborne.

This is obviously debatable. One can just as easily say that she just stepped very slightly out of the screen and made a very shallow arc towards Aries, making it much closer to 100" - there's really no way to know. What is known though is that in an actual example of a life-or-death fight, it takes her 3 seconds to cross around a 100" distance. I say that it isn't enough to stop Carol from going airborne.
    1. 100 inches in 3 seconds is really slow.
    2. Assuming you mean feet... that means she travels 100 metres in around 10 seconds. So she’s slower than Usain Bolt or most real-world, world-class sprinters.