Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

At this point, the writers are making jokes.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Avengers
    Champions
    Superior Spider-Man
    Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider
    Doctor Strange

what else
    Deadpool
    Defenders: The Best Defense

F'got 'bout Deadpool, thanks. Too much Red Guy. #FreeHydraCap #FreeThanos
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Avengers
    Champions
    Superior Spider-Man
    Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider
    Doctor Strange

what else
    Spider-man/Deadpool

Spider-man OMD as we all know too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Mephisto is a joke villain at this point. Reversing OMD is important to get people to take him seriously.
    That will only happen is Spencer is allowed by the heads of Marvel. I imagine Quesada would riot and say "How dare you to try to undo my most villainous moment!"
    I feel they will give him something during the Avengers book where he tries to reclaim his realm from Blaze.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    You know, I was reading something on social media the other day about the actual mythology (I think it's a german one?) from which Mephisto comes from, and there was this tale about how he felt attracted to male angels and how that got the best of him. I think there is a pretty interesting and possibly tragic backstory there to be borrowed from if Marvel wants to explain why he seems to be obsessed with destroying true love.
    The name he is derived from in Mephistopheles originated in Faust, I don't recall that in Faust, but I may be wrong since I read it a long time ago.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Mephisto is a joke villain at this point. Reversing OMD is important to get people to take him seriously.
    I take him seriously precisely because OMD hasn't been reversed. It's a daily reminder that he succeeded and got away with it, something few villains actually do.

And with Peter being back with MJ, I don't think we need a reversal. Sure, it's not the same thing as it was before, but if we're getting everything that we had before, that would include aunt May being dead and everyone knowing about Spidey's secret identity. Does Marvel want to open that can of worms again? I think it's just easier to give Peter and MJ a fresh start and let that evolve on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    The name he is derived from in Mephistopheles originated in Faust, I don't recall that in Faust, but I may be wrong since I read it a long time ago.
    https://twitter.com/corpseinthesky/s...39705779884033

This is what I was talking about.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-16-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Here is what I think Big Red has become for those in the Marvel Office. As I posted in the Spider-Man Forum -

As a fan of Pro Wrestling, the OMD situation reminds me of how WWE owner Vince McMahon use to book storylines which humiliated beloved announcer JR whenever RAW took place in Oklahoma. Oklahoma is JR's home state. One time many years ago McMahon booked JR to be beaten up by a group of heels in Oklahoma. Everyone hated the bit and the live crowd booed loudly, but Vince loved it. The next time RAW was in Oklahoma he had JR beaten up again. When fans complained Vince doubled down. For years whenever RAW or a WWE PPV took place in Oklahoma, sure enough, JR would be beaten up or mocked somehow to the point Vince had JR be forced to kiss his ass on one infamous occasion. Vince even made light of a serious operation JR underwent which meant he skipped an Oklahoma appearance. The only one who enjoyed this running gag was Vince and he kept it up until JR retired so he could spite the fans (he's since admitted such). I think OMD is the JR in Oklahoma for Joe Q & some of his buddies.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Here is what I think Big Red has become for those in the Marvel Office. As I posted in the Spider-Man Forum -

As a fan of Pro Wrestling, the OMD situation reminds me of how WWE owner Vince McMahon use to book storylines which humiliated beloved announcer JR whenever RAW took place in Oklahoma. Oklahoma is JR's home state. One time many years ago McMahon booked JR to be beaten up by a group of heels in Oklahoma. Everyone hated the bit and the live crowd booed loudly, but Vince loved it. The next time RAW was in Oklahoma he had JR beaten up again. When fans complained Vince doubled down. For years whenever RAW or a WWE PPV took place in Oklahoma, sure enough, JR would be beaten up or mocked somehow to the point Vince had JR be forced to kiss his ass on one infamous occasion. Vince even made light of a serious operation JR underwent which meant he skipped an Oklahoma appearance. The only one who enjoyed this running gag was Vince and he kept it up until JR retired so he could spite the fans (he's since admitted such). I think OMD is the JR in Oklahoma for Joe Q & some of his buddies.
    This comparison literally makes no god damn sense.

why is mephisto in every goddamn book
    Marvel took an inventory and found they had a lot more red ink than green, so they're sidelining Doom for Mephisto.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

This has to be building to something. The question is whether or not all of these relationships will be restored when the dust settles. My guess is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    This comparison literally makes no god damn sense.
    It makes perfect sense both are done to spite the fans and as inside jokes. If you can't see that so be it, however, I stand by my analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    This has to be building to something. The question is whether or not all of these relationships will be restored when the dust settles. My guess is no.
    I sincerely hope you're right. But I suspect the whole thing is merely a twisted inside joke.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It makes perfect sense both are done to spite the fans and as inside jokes. If you can't see that so be it, however, I stand by my analogy.
    It makes no god damn sense because it literally can only be applied to one thing. Which is OMD. Your arguing point falls apart when you think about Mephisto for any amount of time that doesn't relate to Peter Parker. Which is most of Mephisto's time.

Mephisto in Champions and Avengers has absolutely nothing to donwith romance.

Nobody was thinking about Clea and Strange before this run cause they had been out of a relationship for years.

For your comparison to make sense. They would have had to have used mephisto either with peter parker or several situations similar to Peter parker's own.

They don't do that so that comparison literally makes zero .

And that isn't even coujting the fact that there's a gap of like 15 years between omd and all of this other stuff.

But sure, recurring joke.
    Last edited by Woozie; 08-18-2019 at 02:42 PM.