Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

New-to-comics writer Genevieve Valentine and artist Garry Brown take on "Catwoman" this fall, with Selina Kyle joining the family business.

Full article here.

---

Yeah, I'm going to be giving this book a try for sure as it could be very interesting. Unless it gets good reviews I'm going to stay clear of Klarion though. Know nothing about the character.
    Last edited by BaneofKings; 07-08-2014 at 08:56 AM.

I'd never heard of Genevieve Valentine, but it looks like she's a Sci-Fi/Fantasy writer. I hope she can come up with some good stuff for Selina.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Nocenti on Klarion is just a beautiful idea.

I don't know Valentine's work outside of prose, but that has promise, definitely.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! WHOOOOOOOO!

I'll even take a no name writer YES! And it looks to be going off Batman Eternal continuity just like Arkham Manor, thank you Scott Snyder and Mark Doyle, you guys are making the Batline amazing!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I'll give Klarion a shot, even though my faith in Nocenti has more than waned in recent years...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BaneofKings View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad Nocenti's gone. I can finally start reading Catwoman again. I'm going to be giving this book a try for sure as it could be very interesting. Unless it gets good reviews I'm going to stay clear of Klarion though. Know nothing about the character.
    It may get good reviews for the art, I loved the artist's Animal Man work.

Extraordinary Member

The change is deliberately set up to coincide with CatQueen's arrival as the ruler of the Underworld. And I'm hopeful for some humor being applied to the new BatCat status quo.

And she's so Falcone's daughter.

At last, I can check out Catwoman again. While the writer is still untested, anything is better than Nocenti. And with the Eternal status quo, this should be one exciting new direction for Selina. Garry Brown on art is a pleasant surprise, as well as the fantastic Jae Lee covers. Glad they're moving away from the cheesecake. I was just about done with DC, but this has potential.

And I suppose Klarion is a better fit for Nocenti, and Trevor McCarthy will do wonderfully on a magic based book. So good news all around, I guess.

Stoked. Would have proffered a better known writer, but at this point I'm willing to take literally anybody.

So is this like Suicide Squad where there will be an "All-New Catwoman #1" in October or will it keep the original numbers?
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Mark Doyle makes my day.

Of course, this isn't actually "doing something new" with Catwoman. There's Bill Finger stories in the 40s called like; "Catwoman - Empress of the Underworld" and things of that nature. It's returning Catwoman to her roots, really. It's been a while. She's ostensibly been a good guy since a bit before COIE.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    Stoked. Would have proffered a better known writer, but at this point I'm willing to take literally anybody.
    I'm in the same camp. The crap Catwoman has gone through recently has been real bad, so I was hoping someone with name recognition would come in and really inspire a boost. That said, anything is better than what Catwoman has been for the last two or so years, and while this may be Valentine's first comic, she's part of Bat books are certainly getting an influx of new talent, which is better than most of the other DC books who seem to just shuffle creators around from title to title.

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post

So is this like Suicide Squad where there will be an "All-New Catwoman #1" in October or will it keep the original numbers?
    The io9 headline says "All-New Catwoman" but I'm not sure if that was simply their choice of title, or if that's the official name. I'm not opposed to a fresh-break and a new #1, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    The io9 headline says "All-New Catwoman" but I'm not sure if that was simply their choice of title, or if that's the official name. I'm not opposed to a fresh-break and a new #1, though.
    I think they would have said the book was cancelled in August solicits if that was the case, but then again, not like DC hasn't stealth cancelled a Nocenti title before. Who knows though... I think a new #1 would be good, despite the pessimism surrounding that tactic. Just wash away all the stank.

Sweet, looking forward to the change. I didn't dislike Nocenti on Catwoman but it was for sure time for a change. I'm excited to see what another writer can do with the character. It's starting to sound like in October the events of Batman Eternal are really going to start to be intertwined with the other bat books.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Hey look! I see a break in the storm finally! Everything is going to bright and with lots of sunshine days now!

Maybe, we'll see. I'm much more optimistic about Catwoman's title now, but I'm mixed on the choice of artist for the book. Garry Brown? The guy who drew The Massive and Iron Patriot. He's... alright, but his characters tend to look rather bad. I'm really hoping we don't see something like this...

Those faces... especially that last panel. Creepy.