Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Justice League Rebirth #1 spoiler discussion

So we get our first look at the "new" Superman serving alongside the JL. I found myself really enjoying Hitch's JLA arc before this one. He's got this sort of Doctor Who(ish) vibe to his writing, and the way he captures the voices of the League very simplistic but more in a "this is what you'd imagine they sound like" way.

-I like the JLA's mourning for the dead Superman. Each member does it in their own distinct way. The way Wonder Woman mourns and the way Batman get's proactive makes for some pretty interesting juxtaposition. Hitch's Bruce doesn't want the emotions to catch up with him so he rationalizes and plans. He looks for closure in facts and figures. Wonder Woman is more accepting of her feelings.

-Hitch REALLY makes me like the GL's in this issue, and I thought they'd be the hardest sell for me personally. It's like a space buddy cop movie that happens to be going on in the middle of the JLA lol He avoids making them sound interchangeable in a very subtle way.

-I know that there's going to be a great deal of debate and what have you regarding Clark not instantly jumping to action. My two cents are this: I get it. I get where he's coming from as a character. I understand his trepidation when it comes to this. It's a very sticky situation he and his family are in right now. When Clark says they might not be able to go back after this, I think he means that even if they find a way back then he would have already committed himself to this new Earth as it's Superman. He still hasn't quite stepped completely into the shoes of Superman and all it means. I'm not super hung up on the fact that Lois helps him out in this.

-So it looks like Hitch will be playing up the idea of this Clark being not just smart but seasoned as well. Him being there ended the immediate problem in like seconds. He's a guy of few words it seems. He get's in, helps out, then leaves out. I wonder how the dynamic will play between characters. He don't seem mean or condescending, but these people aren't close with him yet.

-The creature was very 1930s "it came from--" and that's always fun in it's own way.

All in all I was pretty into this issue.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I thought it was a flawed but enjoyable issue.

Glad Hitch will not ignore that Superman is a seasoned hero.

Also, was it me, or did Hitch did an unofficial Mass Effect/JLA crossover :P

Holy crap, I just realized Hitch drew Superman with red boots the whole issue lol

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Holy crap, I just realized Hitch drew Superman with red boots the whole issue lol
    He was drawing everyone off model. lol.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

I don't know what to make of this issue. It felt like table setting was the primary goal, so the events and character moments were written for the purposes of exposition above all else. The threat being relatively generic and the conversation between Lois and Clark feeling like either a retread (he's already debuted with less internal conflict in Action Comics) or unflattering seemed like the result of the story prioritizing informing the reader about how everyone got to where they were and pointing them in a new direction. Accordingly, I don't know if I can judge this as a story in and of itself. It feels very much like a Rebirth "Prologue" that paints in broad strokes as opposed to any attempt at authentic storytelling. That's not necessarily a criticism either, because I appreciate the demands of the relaunch and see how this is an effective way to do it.

I miss New 52 Superman.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I miss New 52 Superman.
    you'll be alright

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    you'll be alright
    I guess so...But I don't think I'll be sticking around that much. This issue kinda reminded me of Mass Effect

I... didn't like this. For one thing, I've never liked Hitch's art. Storywise, it was lacking. Some dialogue was cool but most of it was not. I'll check out #1 though. Maybe he's a better scripter when he isn't drawing.

BANNED

Art wasnt that great,can't wait for Daniel's next issue.

This was a paint by the numbers superhero issue,nothing but generic hero losing,then at the last second whoosh they get saved and win the day.

No,by this issue superman has already went public,he was listening to this happening and not moving,he had to be pushed by lois,that was wrong and hopefully that crap is gone from every series with superman in it soon.

Superman was drawn without the fancy wrist design on every page,most pages had the belt coming together in one piece(besides i.think 2 panelsl,and the red boots,why can't we have the red boots lol.

This wasn't just bad, it was baaad. The art was bad, the dialogue was bad, the story was bad. Probably the most underwhelming Rebirth issue of all.

And there's more fundamental problems with Superman's characterization. Is he remiss to meet up with the League that often because he reminds them of the old friends he's lost? That would be somewhat understandable, yet not at all implied. And even if so such apprehension still wouldn't stop him from lending his aid. But as far as the narrative serves to show he just doesn't want to help. Which is staggeringly unlike Superman. That Lois is more like a superhero here having to actually tell Clark the obvious is ridiculous.

And FFS I know its strange that this Superman wears blue boots, but its been months now since this has been known. And every single panel in the entire issue gets them colored wrong?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

This issue was pretty terrible. Not a great start for this book. I have no idea why they gave Hitch the main Justice League title. At least the art will be better next issue when Daniels comes aboard. I can't believe they had to convince Superdad to join the team. I know it's supposed to be pre-Flashpoint Supes but I can't imagine him behaving this way.
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-06-2016 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I don't know what to make of this issue. It felt like table setting was the primary goal, so the events and character moments were written for the purposes of exposition above all else. The threat being relatively generic and the conversation between Lois and Clark feeling like either a retread (he's already debuted with less internal conflict in Action Comics) or unflattering seemed like the result of the story prioritizing informing the reader about how everyone got to where they were and pointing them in a new direction. Accordingly, I don't know if I can judge this as a story in and of itself. It feels very much like a Rebirth "Prologue" that paints in broad strokes as opposed to any attempt at authentic storytelling. That's not necessarily a criticism either, because I appreciate the demands of the relaunch and see how this is an effective way to do it.
    I can agree with this assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I guess so...But I don't think I'll be sticking around that much. This issue kinda reminded me of Mass Effect
    The good parts or the last six minutes of the third installment? Big difference!

I enjoyed the issue. It was fairly boilerplate superhero storytelling, with the city-sized monster and the character beats lifting it up a notch or two. This is my first real exposure to Bryan Hitch's art or writing... not perfect, but not too bad. I like that we got four of the five original Silver Age Leaguers (plus Cyborg) as the team in the beginning, along with a mention of Starro, and what is essentially an updated Starro. Some classic riffs and references are always welcome.

So it's not quite the big seven, but it's a group that's close enough that it feels like a genuine Justice League lineup. I still don't think Cyborg belongs in the League, or is all that interesting, and Simon and Jessica don't interest me either. But as part of the team, they could be a good fit. There's a nice mix of experienced and rookie heroes. Half the team has worked together for years, half are new, including the very interesting addition of post-Crisis Superman, who isn't the Superman the rest of them know.

And I like the hints of a bigger plan behind all the threats that Superman and Lois discuss. It's just a hint of the larger Rebirth plot going on behind the scenes, but it's welcome just the same.