Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How was this movie successful?

A place for you to wonder aloud how everyone else's favorite movie got to be that way. In other words, what's a candidate for a movie that was way more successful than you can fathom.

For me, just now watching Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle. A billion dollar movie? Seriously? This is the most unfunny, derivative excuse for an action movie I think I've ever seen. At this point, about halfway through, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it to the end.

I really don't understand the appeal of James Cameron's Avatar. It was formulaic, predictable, and too long. The CGI wasn't all that great, either.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I really don't understand the appeal of James Cameron's Avatar. It was formulaic, predictable, and too long. The CGI wasn't all that great, either.
    What do you mean the CGI wasn't all that great?

Avatar was using groundbreaking CGI at the time. Of course if your comparing it to today's CGI, yeah you have a point.

But the CGI they were using at the time was amazing.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Crash. The movie approached it's subject matter with seriousness and nuance of a Saturday morning cartoon. Not only was a box office success but it also won three academy awards including best picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    What do you mean the CGI wasn't all that great?

Avatar was using groundbreaking CGI at the time. Of course if your comparing it to today's CGI, yeah you have a point.

But the CGI they were using at the time was amazing.
    I didn't see it in IMax 3D. Still, I thought Jurassic Park was better CGI, and it was done much earlier. Just my opinion.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I didn't see it in IMax 3D. Still, I thought Jurassic Park was better CGI, and it was done much earlier. Just my opinion.
    I think that might be because Jurassic Park also used a heavy deal of practical effects as well.

Avatar makes sense because it was really the first next gen 3d movie. Years after the fact (especially without 3d) and there's little appeal. At the time though it was amazing, visually speaking.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

I'm picking not a movie specific, but the whole 3D fad. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I will defend 3d in that when a movie (like Avatar or How to train your dragon) is specifically made for 3D it looks fantastic. However during the 3d fad the vast majority of movies were not made for it, and it looks cheap.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I would say that after 10 years it's probably beyond the "fad" phase.

Having said that, I don't know of a single person outside a theater manager who prefers what passes for 3D movies these days. They continue because studios can add a small increase to the profit margin on them, and so they keep forcing them on us.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I would say that after 10 years it's probably beyond the "fad" phase.
    I would would still call it a fad since 3D was a complete bomb in the consumer market. The glasses, 3D televisions, 3D Blu-ray and 3D games never caught on. None of those technologies are supported anymore. Theaters are keeping it on life support.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I will defend 3d in that when a movie (like Avatar or How to train your dragon) is specifically made for 3D it looks fantastic. However during the 3d fad the vast majority of movies were not made for it, and it looks cheap.
    I saw Wonder Woman in both 3d and in 2d and I preferred the 2d version.

I know it is an easy target, but I wonder what the huge appeal of the Transformers movies was.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I saw Wonder Woman in both 3d and in 2d and I preferred the 2d version.

I know it is an easy target, but I wonder what the huge appeal of the Transformers movies was.
    Skyscraper sized robots beating the crap out of each other. If the action was remotely good I would support the films for that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I so agree. Post production 3D really ruins a movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Skyscraper sized robots beating the crap out of each other. If the action was remotely good I would support the films for that alone.
    I think I'd have an easier time with skyscraper-sized robots beating the crap out of each other, if they weren't rolling around and crashing into actual skyscrapers without causing any more damage than a roof patch and some tuckpointing would fix.

Retired

It's not really unfathomable to me, but it bugs me that FOREST GUMP was so successful. It plays to the lowest common denominator so that's why it's so successful--but I was alive in the 1960s and the whole movie rang false and was a chore to sit through. But since most people were not alive back then, this movie just repeated back to them the convenient stereotypes and pop culture they wanted to see and hear.

One of the most obvious stupidities were all the rock and folk tunes on the soundtrack, but the good ol' boys from the south would be listening to country and easy listening--where was Merle Haggard, Charlie Pride, Buck Owens, Bobby Goldsboro, Lynn Anderson, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Conway Twitty, Roger Miller, Pat Boone, Johnny Cash, Slim Whitman, Patty Page, Herb Alpert?