Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rank the Post-T2 Terminator sequels here

All parallel universes, as hinted by Genisys, as well as massive continuity discrepancies and casting changes.

I loved all Terminator movies, I'm a huge fan. This is my ranking order anyway:

1- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)
    2- Terminator Genisys (2015)
    3- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008-2009)
    4- Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)
    5- Terminator Salvation (2009)

Genisys had brilliant ideas, as well as an interesting story, I didn't like the casting at all. Especially Kyle Reese.

Rise was a great movie. Epic and exciting. The TX was a memorable villain IMHO.

The TV series was incredible. I loved it. Narrative twists, character-arcs and great special effects. Terrific work.

Dark Fate is a great movie, so underrated. It was VERY derivative, but charming nonetheless.

I loved Salvation, but it resembled a Transformers movie. Marcus Wright is a wonderful addition to the Terminator mythos.

Astonishing Member

I actually liked them all in their own way.

Considering all the time travel/reboots/etc. You'd think things would be a lot more messed up, but they actually aren't too much.

Can I make them all equal last?

Actually, the recording of Christian Bale's meltdown on the set of Salvation is my favourite post-T2 Terminator thing, so that, then everything else.

They made sequels to Terminator 2?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It always annoyed me that some people don’t like Salvation or Genysis because they dared to move pass the same plot the other sequels repeat over and over. Matt Smith misuse aside Genysis is a decent movie with some good usage of time travel manipulation and I actually like the concept of corrupting John Connor (certainly more than just killing him off anyway).

Salvation just wasn't very good. The concept isn't why people dislike it. They dislike it because it was bad.

Astonishing Member

My two favourite are Dark Fate and Genesis.Actually looking back .Rise of the Machines would have been super epic if the TX was in 2003 what the Rev9 was in 2019.I don't know why they didn't think of the T1000 and T800 like fusion but indipendent modules back then. 2003 CGI could definitely cope and is not far inferior to what we have today .That way it would be a real progression of threat with TX being possibly as deadly or deadlier than T1000 and then you do a genesys storyline with the T3000 to cap it off in part 4, but instead of ending Rise of the Machines with Arnold's death you perhaps have Kathryn die and John and he live through till either a corrupted John comes to erase himself in genysis or a corrupted Kyle Reese comes from the future to kill his son as the T3000 in the reworked Genysis.To keep the story consistent, but I wouldn't bring Sarah into it, unless Arnold with John travel back to the 70's to protect his mum, so Sarah would be played by a child actress. Anyway coulda ,shoulda,woulda..Genesis and Dark Fate remain my fave, Salvation was bs

BANNED

There's something about "Dark Fate" that bugs me a lot:

In the original fixed timeline, where Sarah and John went to Mexico and didn't destroy Cyberdyne Systems, what did ever happen to the Terminators which Skynet sent along with the first T-800 and T-1000? I mean, Carl and the following Terminators? What did ever happen to them, since it was a fixed timeline and Skynet never had any "clue" about having sent Terminators in the past?

My Ranking of the Terminator Series.

1: Terminator 1984.

2: T2.

3: Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles Series.

4: Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines (Because of the Ending).

5: Terminator Salvation (Cool to see the Messed up Future).

6: Terminator Dark Fate (I have many issues with this film).

7: Terminator Genisys (I liked elements but too much of a mess story wise IMO).

Spectacular Member

All the movies suck to some degree.

The tv series was, I thought, good for the most part. Except for midway through season 2 when they stopped focusing on the sexy Cameron Terminator and focused on the pschological trauma of Sarah Connor. Made for a few boring episodes. It ended on a cliff hanger and I would have loved a season three.

Niffleheim

There was only one sequel

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    There's something about "Dark Fate" that bugs me a lot:

In the original fixed timeline, where Sarah and John went to Mexico and didn't destroy Cyberdyne Systems, what did ever happen to the Terminators which Skynet sent along with the first T-800 and T-1000? I mean, Carl and the following Terminators? What did ever happen to them, since it was a fixed timeline and Skynet never had any "clue" about having sent Terminators in the past?
    I get you, the thing is this there are 2 explanations
    1.Dark fate explicitly tells us in 1995(apparently that is when T2 is set) 2 terminators were sent to kill John, one being a T1000 ,the one they destroyed and a T800/900 the one that got him at the beginning of the film.

2.The second explanation seems a neat yet inexplicably complicated explanation.Everything hinges on it and in fact explains everything since T1. When a time displacement device is used it rips the fabric of time creating chronal echos going from that point into the past before the point and also the past between the point and the future.For example in T 1 when terminator arrived in 1984 it created ripples allowing T800 to be sent to the 70s as well as the T1000 there too, as well as to 1995, the TX to around 2005 and so even in Dark fate other terminators kept pouring through the rifts in time.

Now that complicates everything because every voyage of a terminator creates ripples and so there should be interference when the echoes meet. Maybe Genesis is the only movie that is the Nexus point by sending John himself it perhaps negates this effect.That is my take anyway

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I get you, the thing is this there are 2 explanations

2.The second explanation seems a neat yet inexplicably complicated explanation.Everything hinges on it and in fact explains everything since T1. When a time displacement device is used it rips the fabric of time creating chronal echos going from that point into the past before the point and also
    No. It doesn't work this way at all. It was ORIGINALLY a fixed timeline where T1 and the first half of T2 always occurred, and they occurred the way you see on-screen. There is no past without the events of T1 and the first half of T2.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Salvation is OK since at least it's something radically different and has Christian Bale. Everything else Post-T2 is bad news.

James Cameron is the best, you can't replicate him.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-21-2020 at 01:46 PM.

I hated Genisys, I think it was full of bad casting choices and had way too light-hearted tone. Also bad ending. T3 was bit better, it had some silly stuff and too much self-referential humour and a weak Terminator, but it had a good ending. I don't remember much of Salvation except it just somehow felt even more pointless than the other sequels. TV series was quite good for the most part, good casting, but somehow it felt it was going nowhere. There were too many time-travellers coming from the future and they were too slow to unravel the 'main plot' if they had any.
    Dark Fate was very mixed bag, Grace was great, old guard was meh, and Dani was just bad. I mean really I didn't buy her as a 'savior' at all.

Biggest problem of all post-T2 Terminator films is that they make hard-earned triumphs of the characters in first two films pointless. SkyNet is always going to rise no matter what, and send an endless amount of Terminators back in time if it doesn't manage to win outright and in the long run, humanity is doomed to lose. So what's the point really.